PDA

View Full Version : First trip with 2015--Concerns so far...

srashke
08-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Maiden voyage with new 2015 Cougar 244 half ton series. Really hoping things improve as although I CAN still return it, it will take months to get the same one in stock and no guarantees!

The biggest fail is the awning. It cannot be out and have the door open. It rests on the door. Service tech told me its a major fail and entire awning needs to be installed higher. I was looking for an easy adjustment fix.

The corner of the dinette snapped off in my hand when I went to fold the legs down.

Door lock jammed and even after crawling through the crawl space could not open from inside.

Dealer squeezed me in that day as unit was useless with the door not opening. I asked tech for an awning adjustment then and was told its a major repair and would need to be booked in. New table will be here in three weeks.

Cupboards not lining up anymore but I did expect minor alignments would need to be made after a few trips. Maiden voyage was not off road though! Across the lake to a groomed beach lot. We thought being close to home would be a safe first trip. But locks failed forcing us home a day early.

We have had campers in the past but this is first 5th wheel. I did search various forums and did a little research before choosing the Cougar and felt fairly confident doing so.

Anyone experience similar concerns?

I'm really hoping this is just bad luck and that after my next trip my confidence will be restored:)

sptddog
08-07-2014, 04:30 AM
I don't have a cougar, but I can tell you it gets better. I have some friends that just bought a non-keystone and they've had the same type of issues as you have had. Particularly the door and awning. While it's frustrating, hopefully your dealer works through it, does a good job and you can start camping with the kinks out. As you probably know, you don't ever get past feeling like there is always something little thing that needs adjusting, or caulking, or fixing.... :) We bought both our campers when they were about a year old, and even then we've had some small things that I'm surprised weren't taken care of before we got them. I assume they weren't used hard, and some of the items simply weren't noticed. Good luck!

gearhead
08-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Addressing one of the problems: Get some dry lubricant and spray all of the door latches/locks. Our entry door was a bear to open at first. The storage bay doors latches as well.

Yosemitebob
08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
The biggest fail is the awning. It cannot be out and have the door open. It rests on the door. Service tech told me its a major fail and entire awning needs to be installed higher. I was looking for an easy adjustment fix.

Door lock jammed and even after crawling through the crawl space could not open from inside.

Anyone experience similar concerns?

I'm really hoping this is just bad luck and that after my next trip my confidence will be restored:)

What awning do you have? My awning is adjustable even though it is electric. It pretty much moves straight out and if I need to angle it for rain runoff. But, I do have 14" above the door, there is a window forward of the door the awning covers as well and it is close to that, but as I said lots of space above the door.

The door thing, yep, mine did that a month after I got it. Could not get back in :( Dealer had to pry it open and replace the plastic lock for the screen door as it was out of adjustment. I think I was the culprit for that problem as I was playing with the adjustment just before I couldn't get in :D. I just leave it alone now. But, I do have a new screen door lock just in case :)