PDA

View Full Version : Best for Towing

sellis1053
08-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I have narrowed my search down to two Ram 2500's. One has the 5.7 hemi with the 4.10 rear end. The other is the 6.4 hemi with the 3.73 rear end. Any thoughts/comparisons between the two for general driving and towing a 7,000 pound travel trailer would be greatly appreciated.

GaryWT
08-04-2014, 11:02 AM
What are the rated tow values and payload for each. I would most likely go with the better payload.

Desert185
08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I have narrowed my search down to two Ram 2500's. One has the 5.7 hemi with the 4.10 rear end. The other is the 6.4 hemi with the 3.73 rear end. Any thoughts/comparisons between the two for general driving and towing a 7,000 pound travel trailer would be greatly appreciated.

If you only plan to tow a 7,000# trailer, the 3.73 rear end will be more than sufficient to tow that weight, and will yield better gas mileage. If a heavier trailer is in the future, the one with the heavier payload rating (probably the 4.10) would be my choice.

Ken / Claudia
08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
garywt gets my vote.
Colors and cup holders are for cars. With trucks get the highest payload/towing you can. If you don't know what they are for each truck just look at the white sticker and yellow sticker on the drivers door or sometimes in glovebox. The manuals will also cover the specs. for towing and payload.

sellis1053
08-05-2014, 03:03 AM
garywt gets my vote.
Colors and cup holders are for cars. With trucks get the highest payload/towing you can. If you don't know what they are for each truck just look at the white sticker and yellow sticker on the drivers door or sometimes in glovebox. The manuals will also cover the specs. for towing and payload.

The 6.4 has the higher payload rating. That's where I'm leaning. Thanks

JRTJH
08-05-2014, 04:54 AM
Just be careful where you get your payload information. The truck advertisements will list the "best payload" for the series, not the payload for any specific truck. As an example, in the 2500 series it will list the payload of a regular cab, 6 cylinder, 9800 lb GVW. That gives you a significant payload. BUT: By the time you add the crew cab, 4x4, V-8, optional "luxury" items, etc, the payload can be significantly less. Sometimes by as much as 1500 - 2000 lbs.

So, make sure you get the payload off of the actual truck you're comparing. If it's not available (special order) then find a comparable truck to get the information. The brochures, like contracts, believe in "the big print giveth and the small print taketh away.... So, somewhere in the small print will be the disclaimer: "Information represented is for base model truck"......

sellis1053
08-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Just be careful where you get your payload information. The truck advertisements will list the "best payload" for the series, not the payload for any specific truck. As an example, in the 2500 series it will list the payload of a regular cab, 6 cylinder, 9800 lb GVW. That gives you a significant payload. BUT: By the time you add the crew cab, 4x4, V-8, optional "luxury" items, etc, the payload can be significantly less. Sometimes by as much as 1500 - 2000 lbs.

So, make sure you get the payload off of the actual truck you're comparing. If it's not available (special order) then find a comparable truck to get the information. The brochures, like contracts, believe in "the big print giveth and the small print taketh away.... So, somewhere in the small print will be the disclaimer: "Information represented is for base model truck"......

I got them off of the door jam for each truck. Thanks

instymp
08-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Specially if it will be a daily driver. I pulled over 14,000 with a 3.73 & glad I had it. & I live in the mountains of NC. You won't feel 7000 lbs.

therink
08-05-2014, 02:40 PM
With a gasser, I personally recommend the 4:10 axle. The difference in gas milage is negligible compared to tthe torque you gain Towing on the hills. Just my 2 cents.

audio1der
08-07-2014, 10:25 PM
As a driver of a 1500 w/5.7 and 3.92, I find it hard to think you'd need that 6.4 unless it is at least a 50/50 split of towing and daily driver. The 5.7 had a ton of power and you'll have the 2500 chassis underneath you either way.
I've heard nothing but good things about the 6.4 on the RAM forums I frequent, but the MPG are even more worrisome than the thirsty 5.7.
Unless you plan to upgrade, I would carefully consider the 5.7.
-What is the delta in payloads of the 2 trucks?