PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gutters

sptddog
08-03-2014, 12:13 PM
In working around Bertha this weekend, caulking and working on sources of a possible slide leak, I noticed that the curb side slide (fridge slide) has a rain gutter over it to move water away from the slide edges. The street side slideouts for the bedroom and the couch do not have them - only the full length gutter that is nose to tail on the camper (which is on both sides....). Why is there one on one side and not the other two? Is it worth adding them? Just seemed strange to have on one side and not the other.

Festus2
08-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Why is there one on one side and not the other two? Is it worth adding them? Just seemed strange to have on one side and not the other.

Yes, is does seem "strange" not to have gutters above all slide outs. We have only the one slide out (sofa/kitchen table & chairs) but there is a gutter above that. I can't think of any reason why you don't have them all round except that there may not be enough space above the slide to accommodate a gutter ????

If it were me, I'd put one above the slide out. Just make sure you caulk and seal it thoroughly - including the screws and screw holes - when installing.

therink
08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
I have 3 slide outs and have separate gutters above each. Also have a separate gutter over the outside kitchen door. It sounds like the factory ran short on gutters the say yours was assembled. I would put then on as I believe they provide some protection.

bsmith0404
08-03-2014, 07:34 PM
I have 3 slide outs and have separate gutters above each. Also have a separate gutter over the outside kitchen door. It sounds like the factory ran short on gutters the say yours was assembled. I would put then on as I believe they provide some protection.

Same with mine, except 4 slides.

sptddog
08-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Hmmm, I was wondering if they simply forgot to put them on the bedroom slide and couch slide. Wonder if other 342 owners have them....

bsmith0404
08-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Do a google search for your RV, should be a lot of pics of units for sale that you can compare

BeaverRZR
08-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, I was wondering if they simply forgot to put them on the bedroom slide and couch slide. Wonder if other 342 owners have them....

I have a 342 and only have a gutter over the kitchen slide

sptddog
08-05-2014, 04:01 AM
Might be standard then on 342's....but I'm thinking I might price having them installed. The long gutter probably is good for air conditioner run off, but in a heavy rain, it's not doing much to direct water away from the slides.

I really can't figure out why the kitchen slide gutter is there - it's under the awnings, even when closed they stick out over the slide area. Seems if they bothered there, they'd have done all of them.

BeaverRZR
08-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Might be standard then on 342's....but I'm thinking I might price having them installed. The long gutter probably is good for air conditioner run off, but in a heavy rain, it's not doing much to direct water away from the slides.

I really can't figure out why the kitchen slide gutter is there - it's under the awnings, even when closed they stick out over the slide area. Seems if they bothered there, they'd have done all of them.

I'm guessing they put the gutter over the kitchen slide because of the amount of wall from the top of the slide to the roof (looks like roughly 18"). However there is only maybe 6" of wall from the living/bedroom slides to the roof gutter. Not much sense in adding gutters to that short space

sptddog
08-13-2014, 05:33 AM
BeaverRZR, you're right - I'm guessing that is why. I've caulked high and low based on some research of things that often are the potential for leaks, and after the last 2 days of rain, she's dry, so I'm hoping that's the end of it (keeping an eye on the caulk seams won't be, but hopefully the leaking is over).

Jager
08-13-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm confused? It isn't the amount of wall space that matters for gutters right? It is the amount of roof area. The gutters are channeling the water that comes off the roof to prevent that water from running down the side of the camper.

sptddog
08-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Because there is a full camper length rain gutter at the roof edge, and only 8 or so inches between that gutter and the top of the slide, it's probably overkill to put another one there for slide only coverage. I'm not even sure there would be enough room with the slide closed.

abneynormal
08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
mine "had" 3 gutters over the 3 slide outs I put toppers on mine. I love them. if I was going to the trouble to put something to divert the water that's what I would do.

sptddog
08-14-2014, 06:42 AM
mine "had" 3 gutters over the 3 slide outs I put toppers on mine. I love them. if I was going to the trouble to put something to divert the water that's what I would do.

I've read they sag in the rain and flap in the wind - do you have those issues?