PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent OL signal on brake controller

Alyeska95
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
The OL stands for overload or short. I've got a 2006 Keystone Zeppelin 242 with a 2002 Ford F150 Offroad truck. I was towing it yesterday and the OL started showing intermittently. Sometimes in the middle of stopping it would show OL and then start showing the 1.5 or 2.0...depending on brake pressure. Think there was a clicking sound related to the switch going on and off but didn't hear it every single time. I'd read another post about the plugs not being as compatible between the trailer and Ford truck. It's not a very tight connection but the connectors are clean looking. Lights and all work...just the brakes giving me fits.

JRTJH
07-28-2014, 02:22 PM
It sounds like you've got a 12 VDC supply line that's got some broken insulation "somewhere" between your trailer plug and the brakes. Chances are it's near an axle, where the wires come out of the coroplast and go over the springs/axles and into the hubs. Somewhere, probably in that location, you've got a wire with worn insulation.

Alyeska95
07-28-2014, 03:59 PM
So I have plastic wire wrap around the electrical cords coming from the front of the trailer. I'm guessing you said near the axles because that's where it would come out of the protective covering. I should just crawl along under there looking for a bad spot in the wiring?

JRTJH
07-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Get down on your back, under the RV and look at everywhere the wires to the brakes contact (or comes close to) anything as it goes from the coroplast to the hubs. Understand that the wire can "flop" or "blow around in the wind" so check the exposed wire for any cuts, breaks or worn spots. Look carefully where it exits the coroplast and where it enters the hubs. Also, don't think that "just because it's wrapped in plastic" that there can't be a damaged wire from the hitch back to the hubs. Many times that plastic protective sheath can run over a steel crossmember and be crushed when another steel component is screwed tightly to the crossmember. Not always are these "possibilities" visible unless you're under your RV with a keen eye, looking, pulling down the edge of the coroplast and not taking anything from granted because it's "protected" .....

allmi01
07-31-2014, 07:59 AM
I had this issue and found out it was the 7-way plug on the TT. Replaced it and problem went away.

Make sure the TT pigtail is going to be long enough as when you cut off the factory plug you'll lose a few inches. This can be problematic, don;t ask me how I know this one.

If the pigtail becomes too short, most camper shops and many online places sell new pigtails with the 7-way plug attached.

Mike