PDA

View Full Version : What is / would be above the refer & micro in a 31sqb

Carrnutt
07-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

New to RVing and just purchased our first TT. It's a Cougar X-lite 31SQB. I can't wait to pick it up next week or so, waiting to get the slide toppers put on.

One thing that I've been trying to find info about on is the spaces above the refer and micro. There are just blank panels there. In other units with 8cf refer, the space is much smaller, making me wonder if it's just empty or ?. And in some TTs, it is usually some sort of cabinet up there, either with a door or even open.

Anyone have an idea what's up there?

Thanks in advance, and this forum has helped me make an informed decision. :)

chuckster57
07-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Not knowing that specific model, I can only speak to the refer.

They are vented at the top for the heat to escape from the cooling unit. Since your fridge can operate on propane it has to be sealed from the interior of the unit. If the fridge is on a non sliding wall it is vented through the roof. Fridges on slides will have one vented access panel at the bottom of the refer and another one above the refer on the exterior.
Due to the danger of CO poisoning from burning propane, I would leave any space above a refer NOT in a slide alone.

Since cooling the refer involves making heat, another consideration in using the space if the refer is on a slide, is the cabinet above it may get quite warm if the refer "box" isn't very well insulated.

JRTJH
07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Our 27RKS has the same type of cabinets for the reefer and the microwave. (However, they are located in different areas of the RV) In ours, there is a cabinet above the reefer, it is "short" in that it doesn't go all the way to the trailer sidewall. Behind it is the "reefer stack" that vents out the top of the trailer. I'd guess that the cabinet space stops about 8" from the side wall. In ours, the space above the reefer is a cabinet with a door on it.

As for the microwave, in ours the space behind the false panel is open to the cavity with the microwave. You can remove the 4 square drive screws in the microwave faceplate and pull it out (the microwave is bolted to the faceplate and it comes out as one unit) to see how yours is constructed.

I knocked out the false panel and built a spice rack in the space.

Carrnutt
07-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Ahh that makes sense as the bigger fridge would do the same, just in a shorter space.

I will do as suggested with the microwave. The curiosity is killing me LOL

Hercules1978
07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
My 2015 31SQB has the outside speakers above the microwave. So you can easily hear the radio outside without needing to turn the inside speakers on.

hankaye
07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Carrnutt, Howdy;

I have a 278RKS BOTH the fridge and microwave have storage above them.

hankaye

michol02
07-26-2014, 05:58 PM
I made use of the space above the microwave.

michol02
07-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Made door with the panel and some trim.

Carrnutt
07-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Would love to have the extra storage space up there.

Yeah We have the speakers too. Still think there is quite of bit of space there.

Nice work on that door.

greengiant
07-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm no carpenter, but I put the microwave space and the space above it to good use now.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18015

Carrnutt
07-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Thank you. Some good ideas :)