PDA

View Full Version : hot water

jayman
07-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Any advice just took out my 302 bunk house last week.and the hot water light would not go on
Checked fuses and outside switch by tank I have a suberban with electronic ignite but when I came home parked.it flicked the switch it went right on
Just want to be sure before next trip that its working
Thanks jay

Ken / Claudia
07-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I am not sure I have answers yet, Where you running it on propane or electric. Did you attempt running it on either or both.

gkainz
07-21-2014, 03:25 PM
May not be relevant whatsoever, but the red light on my water heater switch is a fault light, meaning the propane failed to ignite.

jayman
07-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I first tried just with the electric and then opened the propane as well
But just curious if you have an electronic igniter do you have to open the propane as well?

jayman
07-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Also when I put on the switch it usually stays on until the water is hot then shuts off

gkainz
07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Again, mine might not be anything like yours, but my switch in the 5er turns on the propane function of the water heater (propane bottle must be on). Auto igniter lights off the propane. If it doesn't light within some short timeframe, red light comes on until I cycle the switch. Light goes out and if propane ignites, red light stays off.

My electric is a small switch on the face of the water heater and has no indicator anywhere that it's on or off besides the switch.
Propane and electric on MINE (emphasis because there's so many different implementations) are completely separate.

Ken / Claudia
07-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Lets stick with running on propane for my comment. MADE sure you have propane, correctly turn on both tanks or maybe you will not get any propane. With water in WH flip switch on and go out to the heater and listen for that electric lighter to light, it will click, If it cannot start it will retry acouple of times. If it lights you will see and hear it. NO clicks could be the lighter. That vent tube could be plugged or that real small hole where the propane comes thru, stick a wire into it to clean it. Made sure you have propane.

jayman
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Also when I put on the switch it usually stays on until the water is hot then shuts off

jayman
07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Ok I will try that tomorrow and see what happens thanks so much for all your help I will keep you posted

Bluewater
07-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Were you plugged into power (110 volt ac) last week when out camping or were you boondocking? Need that for the tank to work on electric heat.

Ken / Claudia
07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
On my trailer and last one that red light goes on at propane start, stays lit until water heated and goes out but the switch is still on and will light red again when the propane starts to heat the water again, thats normal. Leave the switch in the on position until you do not want any further hot water such as travel, storage etc. So the system will heat water automaticly when needed when the swtich is left on and the light goes on/off by itself. That switch can fail or wires to it loose, something else to think about.

jayman
07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I was plugged in by campsite . it seems to be working fine now
I have it plugged in by my driveway .I guess it just was some fluke thing
Thanks loads guys for all your help

I have to say I have been camping now for about 4 years and whenever I have a question big or small I either check or post it on this site and people are so quick to give answers and really want to help, its amazing
thanks again

rnkburg
07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
May be off here but I have a raptor I have a switch outside to turn on elec and I have a switch inside to turn on propane. The red lighted switch inside is in a panel. In that panel I have many other switches for lights, pumps, gen, etc. I found that the wires were loose on some causing the lights not to come on and switch not to work. I did have one switch go bad inside on a light