PDA

View Full Version : No power in camper

Loom24
07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I've searched around but haven't found anyone with this same problem. I have a 2014 hideout and I'm not getting power when plugged in at my house. I have power to the camper for sure but no lights, ac, or fridge. When I connect to my house, the microwave display does illuminate and this is the only indication of power. Could the inverter be bad already?
Thanks. :confused:

hankpage
07-17-2014, 12:49 PM
By connected to house do you mean to a 30amp or greater outlet??? If you are plugged into a 15amp outlet using an adapter you may have blown some circuit breakers in the trailer. Do you have a battery disconnect switch. Your lights are 12v dc and supplied by the CONverter and battery. Check your trailers circuit breakers.

Loom24
07-17-2014, 02:00 PM
I have power just to the trailer lights when plugged into the truck. None of the inside 12v lights come on when plugged in to truck.

I do have it plugged to a 20amp outlet with a 30amp adapter. I only have it plugged in to run ac at 87 degrees and a light or two.

Thanks for the reply

robo
07-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Check breakers and fuses. 12 volt lights have blades also breaker/fuse near battery. Is battery hooked up correctly one last thing is there a switch on or near info panel or near main entrance

Loom24
07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't have a disconnect switch by the entry door. I checked the 2 40amp fuses and they are good. The breakers never tripped and I reset them anyway. I'm puzzled. This is my first camper so my experience is limited but I do know a little about electrical circuits. Thanks again.

GaryWT
07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
First off, where are the 2 40 amp breakers you are checking. What is the household outlet you are plugged into usually used for? Have you unplugged the trailer and plugged in a light to be sure it is good. With the trailer unplugged, do the lights work off the battery. Does the adaptor show any signs of burning or melting. Plug back in, if the microwave is on, does it work or just the panels? So no disconnect at the battery but any inline fuses up there. Then I guess I would double check all the breakers and fuses again. Good luck. One other thing, have you tried the fan without the AC.

Loom24
07-18-2014, 01:23 PM
First off, where are the 2 40 amp breakers you are checking.
On the circuit panel next to the breakers

What is the household outlet you are plugged into usually used for?
Just an outdoor receptacle on garage

Have you unplugged the trailer and plugged in a light to be sure it is good.
Yes

With the trailer unplugged, do the lights work off the battery.
Nope

Does the adaptor show any signs of burning or melting.
Nope

Plug back in, if the microwave is on, does it work or just the panels?
The microwave works. This is the most puzzling thing.

So no disconnect at the battery but any inline fuses up there.
I need to check. Didn't know they have in line fuses there

Then I guess I would double check all the breakers and fuses again. Good luck. One other thing, have you tried the fan without the AC.
Yes. The fan won't run solo either

Thanks for the replies. If I'm getting power to run the microwave but no lights or ac could it be a bad circuit panel by the breakers??

GaryWT
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Are the breakers in one line or two. Do the outlets work, are the ground faults ok?

Loom24
07-20-2014, 10:32 AM
There are 5 or 6 breakers in a single line and all the gfci aren't tripped. Does anyone know how to test the converter to tell if that's going out?

Festus2
07-20-2014, 11:37 AM
There is an almost identical thread (OP Peter- "Real Odd electrical issue") running at the same time as this in the same forum......two members who seem to be having the same electrical problem.

Loom24
07-20-2014, 11:54 AM
I noticed that. Hopefully one of us can figure this out. I'm bringing mine in this week. I will keep y'all posted.

Ken / Claudia
07-20-2014, 07:55 PM
In the 9? Rvs I have owned, I have had all kinds of problems with electrial. First off the trailer plugged into the TV will not supply power to the inside lights only tailights, clearence lights, brakes and maybe a charge to the rv battery.
I would unplug the trailer from shore power, as others said made sure that outlet has power. Turn off every breaker, every GFI and look for ALL the GFIs, look everywhere for them, you may have missed one. Make sure the battery is charged by testing it. Make sure the wires are tight. Then see if you have 12v power, if so plug in to shore and test again. ALL my problems have been with tripped GFIs, fuses, tripped breaker, bad battery and ground problems. Checking and double checking will not cost any thing. But, I would not purchase a thing until all things mentioned have been checked. It may take you awhile, I once missed a tripped GFI and when from one end of the trailer to the other 2 times, about 4 hours before finding it. I have had nothing but problems when hooked up to 15a or 20a. At home and vacation home I had 30a outlets added just for the rvs. Each was about 200 to have a contractor install them.

Loom24
07-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Just spoke to dealer. Sounds like its the converter. Just as y'all mentioned the microwave is the only thing power directly from the power chord everything else passes through converter. I put my hand on it earlier and like to burn my finger off It was so hot. I'm bringing it in this week and will advise. Thanks for all the help!

Loom24
07-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Yep. The converter is bad. Dealer will replace under warrenty. Thanks for all the help!

Rusty
08-05-2014, 06:30 AM
We had a similar issue with our Cougar, replaced the batteries as they were not holding a charge.

This past weekend we had the brand new batteries go dead on us and mostly everything in the camper had issues. We were hooked up to 30 amp and we lost our lights, fridge, water heater, and the entertainment system. I had wired in a switch to shut off the radio as I found it was a huge power drain.

However we had a full RV with 4 adults and 3 dogs. We did play CD's in the player for quite a while, however I figured that if it were hooked up to 30 amp shore power it would not drain the batteries!

This year we have camped only in mostly power sites, we have gone dry camping on quite a few occasions without issues.

Festus2
08-05-2014, 07:01 AM
This past weekend we had the brand new batteries go dead on us and mostly everything in the camper had issues. We were hooked up to 30 amp and we lost our lights, fridge, water heater, and the entertainment system. I had wired in a switch to shut off the radio as I found it was a huge power drain.

However we had a full RV with 4 adults and 3 dogs. We did play CD's in the player for quite a while, however I figured that if it were hooked up to 30 amp shore power it would not drain the batteries!

Playing CD's "for quite a while" when plugged in should not contribute to your batteries being drained. The lights, fridge, furnace, water pump, etc., do require a fully charged battery to function.

There must be some reason why the converter is not charging your batteries while you are connected to 30A shore power.

Rusty
08-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Playing CD's "for quite a while" when plugged in should not contribute to your batteries being drained. The lights, fridge, furnace, water pump, etc., do require a fully charged battery to function.

There must be some reason why the converter is not charging your batteries while you are connected to 30A shore power.

That was my thoughts as well Festus. Phoned the Stealer and they told me to check......

1) Inline Fuse between Batteries and Coach, and....

2) Fuse on back of Converter, however we do not know where the heck the converter is.....

3) I made an appointment for the mid of Sept in case I cannot find the problem, that is the earliest I can get in for them to have a look if I can't figure out the problem.

Electrical is my nemesis, I can rewire a house, but when it comes to chasing sparks I am stupid, tried to figure out things on Hornet fighter jets, but I left that crap to the experts.......LOL

kellydog98
08-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I just had this same problem and I hope this helps. It seems that my 5er has one- (thats 1) reset button for the GFI outlet. Mine is in the kitchen. I did everything else until I found the GFI reset button and....Power restored. Good Luck and let me know!

kellydog98
08-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I've searched around but haven't found anyone with this same problem. I have a 2014 hideout and I'm not getting power when plugged in at my house. I have power to the camper for sure but no lights, ac, or fridge. When I connect to my house, the microwave display does illuminate and this is the only indication of power. Could the inverter be bad already?
Thanks. :confused:

Find the GFI reset Button and push. This just happened to me also. Good Luck and Let me know.

Yosemitebob
08-06-2014, 12:34 PM
You should be getting 110 power regardless rather the converter is working or not. The converter has it's own breaker switch, it only runs the 12v items. Are you sure you turned on the shutoff that in my trailer is in the driver side basement. Are you comfortable enough with electric power to take the panel off and use a test meter to see if you are getting power to the panel? If you are not DON'T DO IT.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 08:55 AM
We have a zeppelin Zii 291 that power worked on at camping world but I get it back home and got nothing but the microwave. I can't get the pop out or lights to come one and we leave tomorrow. Camping world was ZERO help. I've changed all the small fuses but I'm not an electrician I'm an HVAC-R and plumbing tech.

Please help asap

Thank you

Whit

sourdough
08-14-2021, 09:18 AM
What exactly doesn't work? You have 2 sources of power in the RV; 12vdc and 120vac. Each do different things. Your examples of failures, slide and lights, are 12vdc. The microwave, which works, is 120vac. Did someone turn the battery disconnect cutting the 12vdc? Have you messed with the battery(s)?

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 09:27 AM
Camping world put in a new battery when we bought it last week. It was hooked up to power there and the slide out worked there. No I have it plugged into my garage 30amp outlet and I'm not getting pop out power or lights anywhere inside or out. Trailer lights work. I have zero power on the pop outs, the interior and exterior lights. I can't get into the bathroom because the pop out is inside.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 09:28 AM
Where would I find a battery disconnect? The kid who did the walk through was horrible so I'm here asking questions trying not to loose my mind.

notanlines
08-14-2021, 09:40 AM
Dawg, the microwave works when you are plugged in, no other time. Your tail/running lights come from the tow vehicle. EVERYTHING else works off your battery.
Look for a bad battery connection, dead battery, or the battery cut off probably located on drivers side exterior service box or located near the battery.

CedarCreekWoody
08-14-2021, 09:45 AM
Are you sure the 30 amp outlet you plugged into is a proper 120 volt RV outlet and not a 30 amp 240 volt dryer outlet? Your camper requires 120 volts.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 10:26 AM
It is plugged into an RV outlet i had a commercial electrical buddy if mine install on my garage when another friend had a 5th wheel here. Yes I have microwave power, no I have no inside out outside camping lights. Yes I have trailer lights when hooked up. No there is no shut off for the battery on the outside o inside of the camper.

It's a 2005 keystone zeppelin zii 291 and we are new to this entire thing. It worked at the RV place which makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong since they delivered it but I'm just now able to dedicate time to getting things ready to go. I may have to work on it at the camp sites we are staying at during our drive...

sourdough
08-14-2021, 10:35 AM
I looked at a video of a trailer like yours and didn't see a battery disconnect in it. Not definitive but you looking as well probably means you don't have one. In that case your 12vdc disappeared.

What was the exact sequence on the battery replacement? You say everything worked at CW and they replaced the battery. Did it all work before or AFTER they replaced the battery?

In the first picture there are 2 red fuses between the screw lug terminals labeled "reverse polarity", have you pulled them to check and make sure they are good?

Javi
08-14-2021, 10:36 AM
It is plugged into an RV outlet i had a commercial electrical buddy if mine install on my garage when another friend had a 5th wheel here. Yes I have microwave power, no I have no inside out outside camping lights. Yes I have trailer lights when hooked up. No there is no shut off for the battery on the outside o inside of the camper.

It's a 2005 keystone zeppelin zii 291 and we are new to this entire thing. It worked at the RV place which makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong since they delivered it but I'm just now able to dedicate time to getting things ready to go. I may have to work on it at the camp sites we are staying at during our drive...

See pm.....

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 10:46 AM
I replaced all the fuses one for one and yes the lower red was popped but the battery was changed before our walk through so the slide out and a few lights were working at that point. Then the delivered it to me since my truck brake lines rotted out but only 15 minutes away.

travelin texans
08-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Get your electrician buddy over that wired your plug to help with his volt meter. It's very hard to help someone that has little to no electrical knowledge diagnose a problem from our arm chair.
All the items you state that don't work seem to be all 12 volt so it's either battery or converter problems or both.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 12:31 PM
So found that the battery was wired backwards from camping world... so both of the little fuses the wire go into seemed shot when I ohmed them out. Fuses inside are still good. Disconnect the battery and trying to see if she will take a charge. Either way I'm going to be working in this through our long road trip. Anyone out there by any of the places we are going?

Niagara falls
Columbus OH.
Lexington KY
Middletown MO
Graceland
Madison MS
If so let me know and thank you all for the help. My electrician buddy is working in his truck radiator 2 hours away. Also thank you Javi! That phone call helped a lot to get me in the correct direction.

CedarCreekWoody
08-14-2021, 12:57 PM
If the battery was installed backwards the most certainly the two red fuses inside your camper are blown (the two shown in your first photo.)

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 01:09 PM
Yes one was toast but I replaced them and they aren't any more. I need to get two of the fuses that are right after the battery and replace them on the road. Hopefully then I will have power and AC. Lord know my german shepard and wife will be very unhappy without both for me it will be like Iraq all over again lol

sourdough
08-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Yes one was toast but I replaced them and they aren't any more. I need to get two of the fuses that are right after the battery and replace them on the road. Hopefully then I will have power and AC. Lord know my german shepard and wife will be very unhappy without both for me it will be like Iraq all over again lol

Your issues have centered around DC power. I am assuming your AC power is OK? If so your wife will have all the 120vac appliances.

Do you have an auto parts store nearby? They may have the fuses you need and it won't take but a few minutes to replace them. That way you would be good to go for the entire trip vs trying to find parts and replace them (while doing without power) on the road.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 01:48 PM
We are heading to wally world to get a water filter and see if they have the auto reset fuses but yes we are passing by a few auto stores we can stop in and pick up a few so we have spares.

JRTJH
08-14-2021, 03:53 PM
Your battery has two cables (possibly more, but two large cables) attached. One to the + terminal and one to the - terminal. On older trailers, those cables are usually black and white..... WHITE IS NEGATIVE and that cable goes to a bolt or a screw attached to the trailer frame. BLACK IS POSITIVE and that cable goes to two "DC circuit breakers" mounted on the frame...

MANY people confuse the cable colors and attach the black cable to the negative battery terminal. When they do that, it immediately blows one or both of those 40 amp red fuses that are marked "REVERSE BATTERY PROTECTION FUSES".....

First, connect the battery properly with the negative cable (white) to the negative battery terminal and the positive cable (black) to the positive battery terminal.... After doing that, then replace the two fuses and you should get power through the converter/charger to recharge the battery and to operate the DC systems in your trailer.

DO NOT EXTEND THE SLIDE until after the battery is fully charged. Doing so will put an "overload" on your converter and could burn it up....

As for the appliances, the reason they aren't working is because the "control systems" for everything operates from the 12 volt battery power. The thermostat that powers the furnace and air conditioner needs battery power to turn the air conditioner on, the refrigerator needs 12 volt battery power to operate the control system that switches the refrigerator from LP gas to AC electricity.... Those appliances will not work unless there is a battery or the converter to provide that "battery voltage".... So, it's no surprise that you have "nothing but the microwave working. it's the only appliance that doesn't have 12 volts controlling it....

Connect the battery properly, change out the fuses and give the battery a couple hours to charge up. I think you'll be "back in business"....

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 05:46 PM
Thank you so much! You absolutely answered every question I had and a gentleman from earlier called and walked me through it all too. I haven't found the replacement auto reset breakers but all the fuses have been replaced. I will hunt some down in Niagara falls or Columbus Ohio. Camping world did wire it backwards and I have the battery charging over night currently so we can leave ing the morning.

Thank you again every one who jumped in to help. I feel I am back in the Army surrounded by my brothers!

CedarCreekWoody
08-14-2021, 05:58 PM
If you don't find autoreset breakers soon just use manual reset. Most campers use manual.. Are you sure the current ones aren't manual? They would have a small button the side.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 06:04 PM
I don't believe they are but I will look in the morning time before we roll out.

Javi
08-14-2021, 06:09 PM
If you don't find autoreset breakers soon just use manual reset. Most campers use manual.. Are you sure the current ones aren't manual? They would have a small button the side.

The photos he sent me show two auto reset

JRTJH
08-14-2021, 06:31 PM
If you follow the black cable that's connected to the positive terminal on the battery, that cable is directly hooked to the first "auto reset circuit breaker" and there is a jumper from that one to the second one which is probably mounted on the trailer bulkhead within 2 or 3 inches of the first one.

They look like this photo and will probably have a red vinyl boot covering the terminal screws. The cables in this photo are red, they are from a "newer" trailer. Your cables are black/white.

DawgofWar11B
08-14-2021, 06:36 PM
Yes I need to find a cache of the 40 amps to replace mine

JRTJH
08-14-2021, 06:39 PM

Not much need for replacement fuses for the reverse polarity system. The only time they blow is when the battery is connected "reversed" (wrong)... Chances are that since you're now "in the know" you'll NEVER make that mistake LOL

For most people, it's a "one and done" event... Having a couple of spare fuses is not a bad idea, but you won't need more than one set, just for that "fluke event"....

Javi
08-14-2021, 06:51 PM

Fastronix 40A 12V Type 1 Automatic Reset Circuit Breaker with Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSDGNX6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7KAJFVFMGZT66SC01JAS

DawgofWar11B
08-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Update on the camper:

Made it to and through Niagara falls alright with only microwave power lol.

Got to Columbus OH and a military brother of mine and I replaced the 2 auto reset breakers which at first did nothing. Found the battery from being wired backwards did indeed empty the battery.
Bought a new battery which looking at the "new" battery camping world installed the original terminals show it was NOT NEW AT ALL. Yet still I bought a new one.
Battery now replaced we have power, slide out, all the sensors lights and readouts work now and the radio which the kid at camping world was clueless on why it wasn't.
So we then checked the inverter which the fan was not running come to find out one of the compositor is smoked because of the wring wiring.

Now the big question where can I find a replacement one that I can have shipped to Missouri with in a few days?

We installed a steady charger on the battery for the moment to keep it charged and decent power but I need to replace it.

Thank you all again you have been a huge help along with my military buddy.

My wife my german shepard and I appreciate you all!

Whit

sourdough
08-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Check rvupgrades.com. They will probably have what you need but might need to talk to them about shipping timelines. Is the converter itself toast or just the board?

DawgofWar11B
08-16-2021, 06:05 PM
No fan and a compositor is smoked

Javi
08-16-2021, 06:07 PM
Check rvupgrades.com. They will probably have what you need but might need to talk to them about shipping timelines. Is the converter itself toast or just the board?

Converter is fried

DawgofWar11B
08-16-2021, 06:24 PM
Yep trying to sorce a new one

Canonman
08-17-2021, 05:53 AM
Colaw RV is in Carthage, MO. 10389 Cimarron Rd, Carthage, MO 64836
I've bought from them in the past. They sell all kinds of parts and also have salvaged parts. I'd give them a call and see if they can help coordinate delivery on a replacement converter. 877 548 2125.

DawgofWar11B
08-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Thank you very much! I found all the manuals to everything in the TT so I was able to Amazon on for when we get to Mississippi. You all have been absolutely amazing with helping us out. We can't thank you enough. Eventually we will check out plumbing and HVAC-R but luckily thats my field of expertise!

luv2camp2020
08-26-2021, 08:02 AM
I can't remember where the reset button is on the hitch. I had to rest it last spring and thought i will never forget where it is. Having same problem as then but can't locate the reset.

Appreciate any help on locating it.

Thanks
Luv2camp2020