PDA

View Full Version : Adding a ladder

Schmackpappy
07-16-2014, 09:23 AM
The Passport 2920bh that I purchased does not have a roof access ladder. Is it possible to add one? Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

JRTJH
07-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Some RV's have the "hidden" support system in the roof to support a roof ladder. Unfortunately, many of the "lightweight" trailers do not have this support system (eliminated as a weight saving feature). Some passport owners have commented that they were told there is no support structure to install a ladder. You can do a forum search for "Ladder" and "passport ladder" and find several informative threads.

BirchyBoy
07-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Also, make sure your roof is capable of supporting any weight. I don't my Passport roof is.

Schmackpappy
07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, John. I did a little more searching after I posted and it seems like it isn't a good idea to add one to a Passport. I'm going to buy a telescoping ladder and put in the trailer storage. Problem solved. :)

Schmackpappy
07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Also, make sure your roof is capable of supporting any weight. I don't my Passport roof is.

I just want to access the roof not necessarily walk on it.

crohill
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
bought a telescoping ladder. All you need is ten feet to comfortably get on the roof and use around the whole trailer. I like this better as I use it to clean off slide out at the end of the trip and also to fix anything anywhere on the trailer.

greengiant
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Where did you get the telescoping ladder? I've been eyeing one of those up, as it seems like it would be easier to stick in the back storage, or possibly would rest between spare and trailer, on top of bumper. My 6' folding alumnium ladder will not fit, as the Hideout bumper is partially tucked under rear of trailer. They seemed expensive when I saw them places and I've spent over my budget for add-ons/accessories since getting into this camper.

Schmackpappy
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Where did you get the telescoping ladder? I've been eyeing one of those up, as it seems like it would be easier to stick in the back storage, or possibly would rest between spare and trailer, on top of bumper. My 6' folding alumnium ladder will not fit, as the Hideout bumper is partially tucked under rear of trailer. They seemed expensive when I saw them places and I've spent over my budget for add-ons/accessories since getting into this camper.

Look on Amazon or Ebay

audio1der
07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Those telescopic ladders are sweet, but pricey and heavy.
I bought a class III (200lb rated) aluminum folding ladder which sits on the rear bumper. I don't trust the bumper, but the ladder weighs about 12lbs, so...
I walk/crawl on my roof at least a couple times a year without worry, nd I'm 6', 210lbs.