PDA

View Full Version : DIY jack stabilizers (a la Steadyfast)

audio1der
07-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Our 32 footer nearly made us sea sick when the kids ran from one end to the other. Despite chocking the wheels and corner jacks as tight as can be, it had noticeable deflection of the corner stabilizers no matter how far they were extended. I should note they are the factory VERY cheaply made scissor jacks. The metal seems like "pot metal" and they do not seem to be well made.

I saw a thread somewhere on the interweb about using cargo spreader bars as jack stabilizers, and a light went on in my head. Princess Auto (think Harbour Freight in the US) has them for $15/ea. A couple feet of flat iron for the jack foot pivot brackets and a couple of feet of c-channel steel (I couldn't source c-channel steel locally so I bought square tube and ground off one side) for the frame pivot mounts. Some 5/16" hard ware, and the pics should do the rest. I'm quite proud of the bracket design. I spray painted all the brackets then baked them in the oven to toughen it.

I used two bars F-R and one at the back going side-side. I wanted a fourth lateral bar under the front, but have nothing underneath to secure it to. As you can see, I replaced the bolts in the scissor jack feet and used those as the starting point/base.

Tested the system this past weekend. Put each foot down so it just touched the Lynx leveller, ratcheted them tight, then finished screwing down the corner jack to put tension on the bars. The rear jacks were fully extended even with some Lynx blocks underneath, and the trailer was STEADY. A good test for sure. Very pleased.

audio1der
07-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Voila! Some finished product shots while testing for binding.

sagebel
07-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Very nice.

Triplespool
07-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Looks good."bouncey: let us know how well they do.

GMcKenzie
07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Which ones are $15 ea? Best I see is $25.

audio1der
07-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Which ones are $15 ea? Best I see is $25.

Those are the ones; they go on sale for $14.99 all the time
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Cargo-Bars-And-Nets/40-to-70-in-Ratcheting-Cargo-Bar/8466559.p

So Cal CPA
07-14-2014, 02:54 PM
This setup looks pretty nice and I am sure alot cheaper than buying...

But I have to say....

Our 32 footer nearly made us sea sick when the kids ran from one end to the other.

You let your kids run around in the camper? :p The first sign of noise or anything I deem might cause damage or cost me time and money my kids, and their friends, cousins, whomever are kicked out! Day or night. Well the night-time kick out happened only once (all they needed).

Still really curious to see how it works out for you. Good luck!

michol02
07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Very nice mod Audio1der :cool:

Htfiremedic
07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Nice mod

Sent from my iPhone

audio1der
07-14-2014, 06:01 PM
This setup looks pretty nice and I am sure alot cheaper than buying...

But I have to say....

You let your kids run around in the camper? :p The first sign of noise or anything I deem might cause damage or cost me time and money my kids, and their friends, cousins, whomever are kicked out! Day or night. Well the night-time kick out happened only once (all they needed).

Still really curious to see how it works out for you. Good luck!

They're 4 and 7; their plying is usually what wakes us up so we can make breakfast and get them outside.

ohiocougar
07-15-2014, 04:22 AM
nice mod, we need to do the same because of the kids and dogs

So Cal CPA
07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
They're 4 and 7; their plying is usually what wakes us up so we can make breakfast and get them outside.

LOL. Mine are about the same age! I am usually the first one up though.

Please report back and let us know how it works on your next outing.

RedOne
07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
I have 4 of those in my garage and am getting ready to install on my camper. Going to do the front legs first, side to side and front to back to see how they do before tacking the back section of the camper. The ratchet seems a little sloppy but might work out good. If not I will weld a nut to the outside sleeve and use a "T" handle screw to secure them from moving.

Jabber2Jake
07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
I tried this also. Used the bars on the front of the fiver. Had to
drive spikes into the soil to keep them from spreading out and
loosening up. The rears, I used angle iron, 2 pieces with a bolt to connect them and clamped on at top near frame and at bottom at
jacks using c-clamps. Worked ok.

audio1der
07-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Followup; after 2nd trip with the stabilizers, we are thrilled.
The trip to the site was as windy as I'd dare drive in. That night, the skies opened up and it was WINDY!!!
Lying in bed, I wondered how much it would take to flip the trailer; THAT kind of windy. During sustained winds the suspension was groaning and there was some movement, but it was amazingly planted. Great test, great mod.
I especially like the extra minute or less it takes during setup.