PDA

View Full Version : 120/12v converter problem.

Mistervin58
07-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi!
I am new here and this is my first post. I have 2005 Keystone Sprinter 365 and yesterday I get new issue with 12v lighting system. I turn on 3-4 ceiling lights and after about 1/2 an hour all lights shut down. After 2-3 min lights come back
and after 1/2 an hour down again and same thing few times. Converter board looks OK. Any idea, what should I check. I am electrician, so I just want to make my troubleshooting faster.
Thanks.
Trailer located permanently in trailer park without 12v back up battery.

randy69
07-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Sounds like converter .. It sounds like its heating up then cools down and starts to work again . I would check out the 2 fuses that are on the converter. Make sure your 12 volts dc power cables from the converter to the distribution box are tight. My as we'll check the ac while you are at it. Still have problems put a small house fan blowing on the converter to trouble shoot. If it is a converter going bad I soggest boon docker converter 3 year warrenty .

Bob Landry
07-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Converter board "looks good" doesn't mean a thing, voltage measurements do. If you have a multimeter with a peak hold, set it for low hold and see what your 12V is dropping to. The converter is fed by a single AC circuit breaker, so that shouldn't be the problem. You should also hear the convert fan come on when it is under load. My suspicion is a bad converter and if yours is the WFCO, I would go ahead and replace the converter section of it. No need to replace everything.

Mistervin58
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Thank you everyone for support.
I was thinking same way, could be board heat up from loose connections, or cooling fan doesn't work.
I will go to my park on weekend to do troubleshooting, so, if I catch some problem, I'll let you know.

hankaye
07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Mistervin58, Howdy;

With no battery in the system that by itself may be the problem.
Try it with a battery and see what your results are

hankaye

Mistervin58
07-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone!
I was on weekend in my trailer and make system check up.
All connectors tight and no wire loosed. I have 120v/12v converter (can say power supply) board 66-B097-1101, which make problem, I think. Whole power unit looks similar to unit, I found on internet http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/3jeqa-trailer-12v-120v-works-lights-etc-disconnect-batt-power.html
On converter board in front of fan I have 2 x10w resistors 1k5(?), which is hot in stand by (60-70*C by touch) and radiator with bridge rectifier and power transistors-cold. When I apply load-7light bulbs/11amp for 12v, after 15-20 minutes radiator getting warm, around 40*C, I believe, fan start to work and after 20 sec system shut down and recover after 1-2min.
So, it has to be thermal sensor/switch, which is activating thermal protection relay.
If somebody knows about that sensor, or where to find board schematic, it can help me a lot.
Thanks.

Jager
07-30-2014, 09:20 AM
It sounds like you know far more than most members on here. It sounds like you have hopes of fixing the board (electronics) in the converter. If you know the make/model of the converter you might try googling that to see if you can find a schematic on line. I would be surprised if anyone on here has the schematics for the converter.

Most people on here would remove and replace the converter with a new one. Most of the OEM converters the manufactures use are complete junk anyway.

Just my opinion of course.

Mistervin58
07-31-2014, 05:39 PM
I've try already find schematic on Google-no luck. If somebody has similar board with different part number, I will appreciate to get it. Part number, what I have, could be Keystone original part number, not the manufacturer one.
Thanks.

jtyphoid
07-31-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm fairly certain that the part number is an OEM number, not a Keystone number.

Your best bet to get a schematic will be to contact the manufacturer. However, the market for converters is fairly competitive, so I doubt that they will release it to you. Too much chance that a competitor will get a hold of it.

They might be willing to sell you a replacement board, though.

Jager
08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
If I were you I'd look into simply replacing it. I have read many good reports on here about Power Max converters called Boon-Dockers. You are talking about a power system. Unless you know about transformers, rectifiers, diode bridges, types of capacitors and such I wouldn't suggest messing around with it. I know a fair amount about electronics and unless you know what you're doing you could get into big trouble.

http://powermaxconverters.com/