PDA

View Full Version : Hitch / frame clearance

clhaberle
07-11-2014, 04:46 PM
I have been working on getting my reese dual cam dialed in with my new trailer.
Some info on setup
Rear wheel well is 39" empty, 36" with trailer no weight distribution, 37.75" with WD
Front wheel Is 36", 38", and 36.5" respectively

Issue: my WD bars are contacting frame limiting turn angle

See pics attached. Am I just expecting to be able to turn more than I should or should I have more room.

SLIMSHADIE
07-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Other than removing the 2nd ball, which is for the friction setup. You have cams so you dont need it. Thats about all you can get.
I can get a liitle more with my round bar Reese Dual cam setup. The bars hang below the frame. The round bars are not good with low TT, but nowadays the TT are pretty tall. The bars are out of the way so my rear bumper would/could hit the frame, if I got that close. :eek: I also have a lifted truck so I didnt see ground clearance being an issue. Looks like you got it dialed in pretty good, I think the round bars would of been better with your setup.

JRTJH
07-11-2014, 09:16 PM
One thing you might consider is a ball with a longer shank. They come in different heights up to about 2", so you can get a little more height that way. If you do go that route, don't forget that you'll need to remeasure your front wheelwell height and readjust/reset your chains to adjust for the new height.

audio1der
07-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Do you have the adjustment that you can tilt the hitch head down, to utilize more chain links under tension? That would give more room.
The bars do look closer to the frame than I would like if they were mine; I don't think you're asking for too much.

I just dialed my DCSC setup in and finally have it all right, and it works beautifully. But it took 2 seasons and much messing around.