PDA

View Full Version : Road salt?

gearhead
07-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Living in the south all my life I don't have any experience with salted roads. My 5th wheel was built in the winter. When we bought it a few weeks ago I did a cursory look underneath and saw the usual surface rust on the gas lines and metal surfaces. Looking at it more it seemed a bit rustier than I would expect. After a few weeks it hit me that the trailer was probably towed south on salted roads. I plan to spray the rust with Rustoleum after I wash the chassis down with Salt-Away.
I'm not sure if there is something else I could do, or just disregard it. Any input from you folks that deal with this every winter would be welcome.

bsmith0404
07-10-2014, 03:17 AM
A good wash and spray as you have planned should be fine. The biggest thing with salt is to get it off before it eats at the surface coatings, at this point it's too late for that if it was left on, all you can do is get it washed off/neutralized and paint any surface that was exposed as a result.

therink
07-10-2014, 05:54 AM
This sounds like a common issue with rvs after they have been exposed to roadsalt and not iimmediately rinsed after the salt exposure. Unlike autos, rv trailers re not designed to withstand the effects of salt corrosion.
I recommend using a wire wheel on all rusted components and a good coat of Rust Oleum flat black paint. That is what I would do.

gearhead
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks folks. I spent the morning on the bay and after rinsing the boat with Salt-Away, I rolled under the trailer and hit it pretty good. Plan to follow up with Rustoleum and Corrosion-X, I think that will be the best that can be done.