PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, advice on tow vehicle (long post)

Jbird2200
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
To preface, sorry for the long first post.

Need help deciding on which truck would be best for my specific use, I know this debate has gone on for decades, but I hope my specific scenario doesn’t turn out to be beating a dead horse.

How I will be using the truck:
I will definitely be buying used, likely in the sub $25,000 range.

I work less than 1 mile from my house, as of now, I drive to work (lazy) and drive my own truck (a OBS GMC ½ ton). I could easily take the wife’s car to work if I wanted to still drive to work as my shift is overnight from 9pm to 7am and she rarely needs to be anywhere at those hours. I also work every other week (7 nights on, 7 nights off), so my truck generally sits every other week as it is.

We are planning on getting a toy hauler camper. The current model we are looking at has a manufacturer dry weight rating of about 6,000lbs, but I’ve been told that those are typically underrated, and a fully optioned unit would run closer to 7,000lbs as a realistic number. Add motorcycles, weekend supplies, fluids, etc, and I’m thinking the max load should be under 9,000lbs for sure. This is assuming we go with the unit we’re looking at which is about 30ft, bumper pull. I would like to have the capacity to go larger if I were to find a good deal on a different trailer, but at the time, we’ve pretty much decided on the model.

So, given that the truck will sit most the time, it will not accrue a lot of mileage. I’ve only put 5,500 miles on my ½ ton in the past year, but it has not been used for towing an rv, so as we will start doing that, the annual mileage can expect to increase somewhat.
At first, I was set on a 06’ or 07’ 8.1L w/Allison 6 speed, as fuel consumption shouldn’t be a huge issue considering the annual mileage. But now am second guessing the option of diesel.

I have never owned, diesel, but am aware of many of the nuances that go along with owning one, filter changes, oil capacities, warm up/cool down times, etc. But I am having a hard time coming to a decision as to which gas vs diesel I should be considering. The 8.1 truck seems hard to find with reasonable mileage at a reasonable price, and the only ones in my area that have popped up are asking almost diesel prices ($20,000 for a 2006 8.1 w/ 77k miles for example). I should note that I am not necessarily brand loyal, but have had decent experience with GM trucks, and as far as gassers are concerned, I’m really only considering the 8.1L big block.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with the 8.1 pulling a comparable load?

Sorry for the novel, I just want to invest in the right truck for the job, and that will fit our use best.

rnkburg
07-09-2014, 11:53 PM
8.1 are ok if you maintain them , its just like all of the trucks out there, every one has there quirks . If it was me and you may think I am crazy but I would be looking at a diesel dually. Why, no issues towing , greatly helps with sway and stability , and more than likely you will upgrade your camper and need the dually before you know it. It seems there are tons of posts that talk about upgrading to a new camper and all of a sudden they need a larger truck. Get the big one now, no difference in mileage and prob a little cheaper, and don't worry about when you upgrade spontaniously

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Jbird2200
07-10-2014, 12:47 AM
If it was me and you may think I am crazy but I would be looking at a diesel dually

I understand that thought process, but I am positive that I will never own a rig that couldn't easily be pulled by a SRW diesel. However, I will most likely avoid a DRW simply because the wife will have to drive it very infrequently, and the imagery of fiberglass damage to my dear truck isn't something I can fathom.

bsmith0404
07-10-2014, 02:46 AM
I once thought just like you and have owned two 2500 HDs, an '02 GMC 6.0 and an '11 chevy Duramax, I finally went with the 3500 DRW Duramax and the wife does just fine driving it.

As for your question, my dad owned the 8.1 at one point and liked it, but has owned 3 Dmax trucks since. He said there is no comparison, the towing is better with the diesel as well as the fuel mileage. The differences of dealing with the diesel maintenance are minor especially with the miles you are putting on it (I would recommend driving it more though). The reason most people get the 8.1 is the price difference for the diesel engine and the cost of fuel is a hard pill to swallow initially. IMO, doesn't make any sense to buy an 8.1 if you can get a Dmax for a similar price.

JRTJH
07-10-2014, 04:01 AM
The major issue I see is the very short drive to work and back every evening. Short runs without being fully warmed up are hard on any vehicle, especially on diesels. If you're going to be driving it less than (or about one mile) every night during the winter, you're likely to have some issues with dirty oil, contaminated fuel (diesel grows "stuff" when it sits in the tank) and with batteries staying fully charged.

It's tough on a big block gas engine to start/stop without fully warming it up, it's even tougher on a diesel.

If you do decide to buy a diesel, you might want to think seriously about an extended 30-50 mile run at highway speeds weekly, or as often as you can, especially during the cooler months.

GMcKenzie
07-10-2014, 05:17 AM
Last winter I parked my truck and bought a beater to go to wok and back. Going to do the same this year. My drive is maybe 2 miles. Did not like doing that in my truck.

Having said that, see if you can find an 06-07 Duramax. They seem to be the best without having to fuss with DPF. Grab a beater for the winter and you are good to go.

Ken / Claudia
07-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I agree with the last post. I have kept a(POS) beater for running around in and keep the big truck parked as much as possible. Heres what I look at before I get a another truck, already had a bunch. What is the trucks spec.s GCVWR, Payload, will it work for what I want. Miles per gal, cup holders, brand, color do not matter, those are what the wifes car must have. I would really know the trailer you want first and not guess on it's weights. If I could place a bet, mine is that after you get this trailer, 5 years or less you will want or need a different one likely bigger. Thats the way life is with boats and RVs. Get the biggest truck you can afford. 5 years from now that truck you will need will cost more than.

Jbird2200
07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Interesting thoughts. I posted the same inquiry on rv.net, and the concensus there was that I am kinda crazy considering a diesel.

I know now that if I go gasser, I need to open my mind outside of the 8.1, they are just too hard to find and fetch a good amount for a lower mile clean example. The fact that the truck will most likely see less than 10k miles a year, I and tow less than 10k lbs, I'm considering gas more and more.

I could easily take the wife's suv to work if I wanted to drive to work. That would eliminate most if the short trips.

I dunno, I'm still on the fence either way. I may just take the best deal that comes along that will do the intended job.

bsmith0404
07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Consider where you will be towing to as well. I pulled an 8,000 lb 5er to Yellowstone with my 6.0. Crawled across mountain passes and stopped at every gas station. Told my DW after that trip it'll be the last time I take a trip like that with a gas truck. Now I pull a 15,000 lb 5er with a duramax and I'm happy as can be, haven't found a mountain pass yet that slows it down. When we go on a trip with my brother in-law and sister, I we stop so he can fill up with gas, I'll either top off the tank just because or wait until he stops again to fill mine. Depends if I want to rub it in or not :p

Jbird2200
07-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Consider where you will be towing to as well. I pulled an 8,000 lb 5er to Yellowstone with my 6.0. Crawled across mountain passes and stopped at every gas station. Told my DW after that trip it'll be the last time I take a trip like that with a gas truck. Now I pull a 15,000 lb 5er with a duramax and I'm happy as can be, haven't found a mountain pass yet that slows it down. When we go on a trip with my brother in-law and sister, I we stop so he can fill up with gas, I'll either top off the tank just because or wait until he stops again to fill mine. Depends if I want to rub it in or not :p

I'll be towing mainly in the midwest. We have family in Florida, and might tow down there once a year, but that is unlikely. Most of the midwest is relatively flat, and 1/2 of the time I'll be towing to local (within 5 hours) racetracks which aren't usually too far off the highway.

b.d.m
07-11-2014, 06:26 AM
JBird

You state that the dry weight of the Toy Hauler is 6,000lbs, and expected load weight is 9,000lbs. Do you know the max weight of the trailer? My guess is its sitting on 2x 6000 axles making it 12,000 max weight

The very short commute you talked about will play havoc an internal combustion engine as they like to operate at their designed temp and it takes them a few miles to reach that temp.

With your estimation of being around 9k lbs a 3/4 or 1ton is where i believe you should be looking. If most of your towing is short trips (less than 300 miles) a good gas truck, properly outfitted will serve you very well.

When looking at used equipment spend a little time looking underneath the truck. Looks for signs of oil leaks (oil residue in frame rails). Also pay attention to what gears the truck has it it. That cam make a huge difference in its towing ability.

example is I purchased a use Ram 2500 Diesel. the 3.42 gears a Max Trailer weight of 9,650lbs where same truck same motor with 4.10 gears give me 14,650lbs Max Trailer.

Razor303
07-13-2014, 07:13 PM
My advice.... get the biggest darn truck you think you will EVER need, I've been playing the want a bigger trailer, buy a even bigger trailer, buy a bigger truck to pull it with, the trailer suddenly is to small, buy a bigger trailer, and now I have a trailer that begs for a much bigger truck. My next truck is going to be a 1-ton dually... and hope the wife won't decide she needs a much much bigger trailer...