PDA

View Full Version : Tailgater Hook Up

gasa765
07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
We have a 2013 Cougar 327RES. When I connect the Tailgater directly to the 211K receiver everything works fine. However, when I connect to the satellite prep in the wet bay area, I receive a complete signal loss error message.
I have the hdmi cable going from the receiver to the tv, but not sure what else to do.
Please advise. Thanks

camper 2010
07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
If the satellite prep wire splits before your receiver, it will not work. If you have more than one connection point where your TV is then try each one. Make sure your amplified TV antenna is turned off.

therink
07-07-2014, 04:51 PM
The satellite prep connection in your utility bay should run directly with no splitters and independantly from the cable/RV antenna circuit directly to a stand alone coax outlet behind your main TV. You should be able to connect your sat box with coax to that outlet and get signal.
There is also a chance that Gilligan at the factory mislabeled the cable and sat prep connections in the utility bay.

MarkS
07-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Are there one or two coax connectors in the convenience bay? If there is only one, it goes to the Winegard plate that powers the antenna. It has a little button and LED. The Winegard plate has the 'feature' to block power over the coax. That blocks power to the Tailgater. It is really 'cable prep' instead of 'satellite prep'. If that is the case, you have to rewire the plate to use it with a Tailgater. Then wire it back to use the antenna.

If you have two coax connectors in the convenience bay, there should be two matching connectors behind the TV. Use the other coax pair. One pair should connect direct from convenience to TV. That is the one you want for the Tailgater.

If there is a pair of coax connectors, near the Winegard plate, the one with the short coax jumper, you can try connecting the receiver there. Sometimes those connectors are not in a good location, like in the bedroom. The loop is intended for a cable box but will work for a satellite receiver.

gasa765
07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I played around some more today. I disconnected the cable that runs from the wall to the TV. I think it's the one for the antenna. I also disconnected the cable that looks like a sideways U. I connected another short coax cable to the top connector and the other in to the satellite input on back of the receiver. And it worked. I thought I had tried that prior to posting the question asking for help, but maybe not.
Glad it's figured out and glad to have the help here when needed.

rhagfo
07-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Picture please of all cables in the area.

Kim
07-19-2014, 01:08 AM
I have one input in the bay marked Sat Prep.
So if the Winegard plate is in the front bedroom upstairs where I would hook up the receiver, and my TV is in the rear, then the remote has a long way to change channels.

How did they figure this would work? And why is there nothing about it in the manual? :banghead:

.... done ranting, sorry....

I just drilled a hole and put my own coax connector behind the entertainment center where the TV and receiver are.

I toured the Cougar factory in June and told the guide that the Sat Prep is meaningless when he asked if I had user input. He seemed surprised but would pass that info to the powers that be.