PDA

View Full Version : Lippert Leveling System on FZ310

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I'm having an issue with my landing gear on my 2012 Fuzion 310.

I had the unit parked in the storage facility with the landing gear fully down (leveled) and the two slides out. The unit was not plugged into shore power. I went to load up and plugged the Trailer to my Truck. I first pulled the bedroom slide in (electric) and then pulled the living room slide in (hydraulic). The unit moved in quick and then about halfway in, dropped to a snails pace. After thinking the slide would never make it in.... it finally fully retracted.

I moved outside to the landing gear. I started to retract the rear first and it did not move. Tried the front, nothing. Tried to extend front, nothing. Tried to extend rear, nothing. Panel was lit and functioning correctly, but absolutely no movement. After trying to troubleshoot all that I could (checking battery, hooking up to shore power) I could not get the gear up, so I had to break out the drill and manually retract all of the gear.

I assumed that it was a low voltage issue so I went ahead and replaced the solenoid. Found this unit as a replacement:
12 Volt Reversing Continuous Duty Solenoid Relay Winch Motor, Windlass (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VAGKZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I installed the new Solenoid unit and the gear will extend great. The new problem is when I retract. The motor seems to be getting in a bind and shutting down. It will work for a bit, and then start clicking and shut down. It will eventually bring the landing gear up, but not after numerous tries and getting the motor extremely hot.

I'll try to upload a video.

Any ideas???

Thanks for all the help.

Jim & DJ
07-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Battery or batteries ????????

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Battery... Single that was from the factory.

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Youtube Video (http://youtu.be/ecZ6vMyGp4w)

Jim & DJ
07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
You may want to do a load test on the battery, especially if it was in the rv during last winter storage.

SAABDOCTOR
07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
SOUNDS LIKE THE BATTERY IS WEAK! TO A LOAD TEST ON IT BET IT HAS LOST A LOT OF RESERVE POWER.:banghead:

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 09:27 AM
So a weak battery would only effect the system retracting? Because it works great at extending the landing gear. Also, when connected to shore power, I have the same symptoms.

gearhead
07-07-2014, 10:24 AM
I think on 110v shore power the landing gear still goes "through" the battery. I think the motors are 12v dc, I think. So you could have a bad battery. I would pull it and take to a parts store for load test.
But that still doesn't explain the difference in retracting and extending.

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Well I actually tried a new battery before I replaced the solenoid, but I brought it back since it didn't fix the initial issue. Never tried a new battery after I have replaced the solenoid. May give that a whirl.

BTW gearhead, I'm in Port Neches... just noticed your location.

b.d.m
07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Some where in the system should be a hydro fluid filter. Could be a canister like an oil filter, could be a small screen on the suction hose from the tank. Check that.

How does the slide that runs on hydro work? In and out Ok? I assume its the same pump?

sandy43
07-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Had a similar problem as you did. All revolved around battery. Unit was unused for a while and battery was cut off. After a day of recharging via the converter, everything worked good. GIG'M AGGIES

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Main Slide (Living Room) is hydraulic. Having the same issue with it. Shoots it out just fine. Retracting it takes forever... but it will eventually pull it in.

I've never noticed a filter, and didn't find one on the Lippert parts list, but I'll double check.

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Just another question....

Shouldn't the Lippert Control Panel give me a volt reading on the battery when operating? Guess I could see what the drop (if any) is between Extending vs. Retracting to rule the battery out?

Could the new solenoid be bad also? Wouldn't low voltage make that Hydraulic motor get hot?

Javi
07-07-2014, 11:21 AM
low amperage

battery would be my guess also..

Jim & DJ
07-07-2014, 11:56 AM
The slide and landing gear, going outward or down, is using the least resistance, that's why they go out, but if you notice they work hard to retract. Guess what, BATTERY may need to be charged or replaced. LOAD TEST IT.......

djbenphillips
07-07-2014, 12:11 PM
10-4... I'll just grab a new battery and post what happens. Thanks guys.

bobbecky
07-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Also, the batteries are not installed by the factory, they are dealer installed at purchase. You will find that two batteries will work much better than a single one. We have two 12 volt batteries parallel, but others use six volt batteries in series. Doesn't matter when dealing with the Lippert system, just need more battery capacity.

gearhead
07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm in Liberty. You have an excellent boat ramp in Port Neches!

I would get an additional battery installed. It helps when dry camping as well.

stonehausfarm
07-28-2014, 09:52 AM
I have a similar problem with my Springdale. My rear stalilizer will extend/retract; howvever, my front will not. The motor works but the legs do not extend nor retract. Also the entire unit slides back and forth. Any ideas?

djbenphillips
10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Update:

I changed out the single battery that was original to the trailer. I purchased (2) EverStart MAXX 24DC batteries and ran them parallel.

I was still having the same issues, so I decided to replace the solenoid AGAIN. This time I went with a Trombetta (Lippert recommended) to replace the knock off I got on Amazon.

Still getting the same results... At this point I'm lost. I can only assume it could be a valve issue?

Any help, I'm all ears...errrr eyes I guess.

(tx)

JRTJH
10-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Update:

I changed out the single battery that was original to the trailer. I purchased (2) EverStart MAXX 24DC batteries and ran them parallel.

I was still having the same issues, so I decided to replace the solenoid AGAIN. This time I went with a Trombetta (Lippert recommended) to replace the knock off I got on Amazon.

Still getting the same results... At this point I'm lost. I can only assume it could be a valve issue?

Any help, I'm all ears...errrr eyes I guess.

(tx)

I do hope you intended to say EverStart MAXX Group 24 batteries that are 12 VDC !!!!! The system is NOT a 24 volt system !!!

djbenphillips
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I do hope you intended to say EverStart MAXX Group 24 batteries that are 12 VDC !!!!! The system is NOT a 24 volt system !!!

Yes, they are Group Size 24DC with 690MCA....

EverStart MAXX Group Size 24 Marine Battery (http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-24-Marine-Battery/20531538?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyV iewedItems#Item+Description)

WYRaptor
03-23-2017, 05:20 PM
sorry to resurrect this thread, but did you ever get it fixed? Having an identical issue including hydraulic slides coming out while in storage. Recharged the batteries and landing gear will not retract or extend but I can hear the motor spinning, may be bad pump. I'll take a drill out there Saturday and see if I can operate the landing gear manually.

Update: My landing gear switch broke, so I changed out the switch from a six pin to 4 pin switch. Landing gear jacks still would not retract with either battery, shore power or auxiliary back up (drill). I traced the lines and there is a solenoid on one jack to isolate the cylinders from the pump, mine is on the passenger side only. I found the Lippert manual and the valve must be opened manually with a 5/32" allen. Now landing gear extend and retract normally as long as the solenoid is manually opened. So I may have a bad solenoid or electrical connection.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Leveling%20and%20Stabilization/Hydraulic_Landing_Gear_Owners_Manual.pdf