PDA

View Full Version : Changing a ceiling light

lightning79
07-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Hello friends,

So one of my ceiling lights had its switch go all mushy and stop transferring power to the light bulbs. I picked up a whole new light assembly for ten bucks. Can I simply cut the white and black wire coming through the ceiling, and splice them into the new light's black and white wires? I'd of course turn off the main fuse before cutting any wire.

thanks!

Kevin

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Sure, Disconnect the battery (easier than pulling a fuse and getting the wrong one) cut the wires and connect the new light fixture.

lightning79
07-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks John! Now, when I look in my fusebox, they are circuit breakers. If I just turn off the one that says "main," would that suffice?

Kevin

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
NO !!! The one listed as "MAIN" is an AC breaker, You're dealing with DC fuses. Those are two separate and distinct electrical systems that are not "interconnected" !!!!! Nothing on the AC breaker side will disconnect your DC power. That's why I suggested you just pull the negative terminal on your battery, change the light and then reconnect the battery.

lightning79
07-06-2014, 06:47 PM
John,

Then that's exactly what I'll do!

Kevin

theeyres
07-06-2014, 07:12 PM
John's got it right!

lightning79
07-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Would you recommend black tape or those plastic marettes for the connection?

hankpage
07-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Be sure to unplug shore power so the converter is not supplying 12v. also.

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Would you recommend black tape or those plastic marettes for the connection?

Crimp butt connectors are what is installed on the existing light. If you have them, they are best, if you don't then the screw caps will work, just wrap them with black plastic tape when tightened so they won't vibrate loose during travel. Chances are pretty slim they would loosen, but "ya neva know"....

Hank's right, don't forget to unplug shore power to keep the converter from providing DC power while the battery negative lead is disconnected.

lightning79
07-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys. Just the negative lead only?

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes just the negative lead. If you take them both off, you have a chance of connecting them backwards and causing more problems. You interrupt the circuit with the negative lead, no power will flow and that's all you need.

bsmith0404
07-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Yes, just the negative. You are dealing with a 12 volt light so it's just like working on the electrical system of your car. If you disconnect the negative side of the battery (and unplug the shore power) you will not have any power to the light.

Keep in mind that this is only for a 12 volt light. If you have a ceiling fan and ever decide to change it out, that is on the 120 Volt AC circuit and works off of shore power not the battery.

AS for the connection type, the wire nuts will work, but I would use automotive type crimp connectors. They will stay secire and you don't have to worry about them vibrating loose.

lightning79
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Light and new LEDs are in and working perfectly, thanks so much!

Kevin