PDA

View Full Version : Living room couch replacement

therink
07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
I have a brown pleather sofa with air mattress bed in my LR slide. It looks decent but is useless as far as comfort goes. We never use the air mattress feature and don't plan to.
I am thinking about removing it and replacing with a dual recliner theater style sofa from a home furniture store. I don't see any reason to replace it with another overpriced RV specific sofa. Anyone done this? Any suggestions?

WR450Guy
07-02-2014, 06:04 PM
The couch that came with our 2013 Raptor 377 was worthless.... the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on.....Within a few weeks it was replaced with 3 large recliners from Ashley furniture. They are pieces of a sectional reclining sofa that connect together. We took our time and found what we liked and would fit and couldn't be happier.... Even sold the old sofa on Craigslist to help offset the cost of the new one. We did lose some storage space which was under the old sofa, but I still think it was the best investment I have made for the RV so far....

MBD
07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
The sofa in our 342 left a little to be desired, definitely not the most comfortable for watching television.

I yanked that rascal out. Bought two Lazy Boy recliners and never looked back. The recliners came in two pieces and were an easy fit through the door. The old "U" shaped couch was not attached to the floor or walls. The two ends were screwed to the middle section-2 screws each.

Bluewater
07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Our Laredo 5er had two cheap swivel rockers and we replaced them with one recliner and a small table. A LOT more comphy and looks better too. Less weight to haul also. A good choice all around. :)

gregm2k
07-05-2014, 08:14 AM
This is a timely thread. We've been on the road in our 2014 Carbon31 for six weeks and the ONE thing that has to change is the couch! This unit has a full faux leather three piece sofa in the slide out that is uncomfortable at best. I was concerned that it would be hard to remove but I'll take a closer look at the mounting.
For those that used commercial furniture pieces...how did you mount or secure them to the slide to keep from moving all over?
(tx)

WR450Guy
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I figured since the old Sofa was only secured by a couple 1/2 inch screws and "L" brackets I could get away without mounting it at all.... I have taken the rig over several bumpy dirt roads in the So Cal desert and it has never moved an inch.... If you can get the sofa to move while traveling you might have bigger problems to deal with......

therink
07-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I going to measure it up and shop around for a theatre style dual recliner from a home furniture store. At the Camping World near me, they have a comfortable dual recliner couch in their show room for $600 that looks nice, but is cheaply made and looks like it would last about 6 months.

MBD
07-06-2014, 02:13 PM
@ gregm2k
I did not attach my Lazy Boy recliners to anything. I turn them front to front while traveling (only so I can put my 32" tv that I use in the basement in a safe place). Depending on whether we are napping or watching tv indoors, we can move/adjust either or both chairs for optimum comfort and position. I have yet to have the chairs move while under way.

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

gregm2k
07-06-2014, 03:36 PM
@MBD & WR450GUY
Thanks. Our previous TT was a rear lounge (RLSS). The two "cheap and uncomfortable" rockers were secured to the walls by straps. We'll have to find some furniture we like, make sure it will get thru the door, and then figure out if (or how) to secure them.
Safe travels!

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Our Springdale had a rear living room with the sofa/bed in the slide and two swivel rockers along the rear wall. We never secured the rockers and the sofa was simply set in the slide. None of that furniture moved in over 5000 miles of towing, sometimes over some pretty rough gravel roads.

Our Cougar is a rear kitchen with a center living room. It has the free standing dinette with 4 chairs and a tri-fold sofa/bed in the slide. Opposite the sofa are two swivel rockers in the center of the trailer (over the axles). In over 8,000 miles of towing, we've never had any of the furniture move.

In previous trailers we've had rockers, barrel chairs, recliners and none have ever been secured. We've never had anything move enough that we've noticed it.

You may find (as we did) that securing the furniture isn't really as important as initially believed.