PDA

View Full Version : Flipped Leaf Springs

riceman
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
On two separate occasions, while camping on uneven ground, using the hydraulic jacks caused the back tires to be off the ground...while in this position the leaf springs flipped upside down. I then have to fight to put them back manually. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I avoid this from happening again?

Thanks!!

bsmith0404
07-01-2014, 02:58 AM
I assume you are talking about the shackle flipping not the actual leaf spring. I have never actually had this happen or even heard of it happening. IMO, if the geometry is correct on the suspension set up it couldn't happen. Sounds to me like something is not right, maybe the leaf spring is incorrect i.e. too short. Can you post pictures of the suspension as it sits so we can see how it normally looks? Be nice if you had pics of it flipped as well, but I wouldn't ask you to do it on purpose.

Ron
07-01-2014, 06:22 AM
I assume you are talking about the shackle flipping not the actual leaf spring. I have never actually had this happen or even heard of it happening. IMO, if the geometry is correct on the suspension set up it couldn't happen. Sounds to me like something is not right, maybe the leaf spring is incorrect i.e. too short. Can you post pictures of the suspension as it sits so we can see how it normally looks? Be nice if you had pics of it flipped as well, but I wouldn't ask you to do it on purpose.

or the shackles are welded to far apart, I agree this should not be happening, what if you were to raise the trailer to change a flat tire, could this happen then also, just not right

Laredo291OH
07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Have had my Lareod 291TG up on jacks a couple of times this year to upgrade the suspension. The rear shackles flipped over both times. I used a jack under the tie plate for the ubolts and raised each side of the axle to get it to flip. It makes a loud bang, but gets the job done.

Jager
07-01-2014, 11:37 AM
I can't even picture what you guys are talking about? What shackles or leaf springs are flipping? My leaf springs look like a smilly face (U shape down), are yours a frown (U shape up)?

Bluewater
07-01-2014, 01:15 PM
The springs are not flipping over at all just the shackle flips from one side of the spring eye to the other.

Ron
07-01-2014, 03:02 PM
The springs are not flipping over at all just the shackle flips from one side of the spring eye to the other.

at the center equalizer or walking beam