PDA

View Full Version : High trans temps - Culprit found!

Sandy Swede
06-29-2014, 03:23 PM
I knew that I was running abnormally high trans temps and tried a couple of things including installing a trans cooling pan and going to synthetic fluid. The improvement was marginal. On our current trip to Montana, I pulled into the Chevy dealer's service dept in Pipestone, MN. While discussing additional options (including an auxiliary trans cooler), one of the mechanics sauntered up and said, "I bet if you removed the after-market billet grill inserts, you would solve the problem. I pull a camper with my pickup and had to remove the grill inserts. Made a big difference as the inserts cut air flow by approx 50%."

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Needless to say, I immediately had the after-market billet grill inserts removed. The grill inserts removed were horizontal chrome pieces; one in the upper section and one in the lower section (above and below the Chevrolet badge). Interesting how no one (including my own mechanic) had realized that the grill inserts would dramatically reduce air flow to the radiator. I also had an after-market auxiliary trans cooler installed on the theory that you can never have too low of a trans temp. Together, these actions have eliminated my high trans temp problem. I was running about 240 -250 degrees towing with a strong head wind or upgrade. A few times, I hit 275. I now run about 210 – 220. On the flatland, I currently run about 180: 190 if a hot day. Previously, I was running about 220.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of a newbie!

Sandy Swede
06-29-2014, 03:35 PM
I forgot to attach the 'After' photo

Ken / Claudia
06-29-2014, 03:59 PM
That's good news. Sounds like you will not have tranny temp issuses any longer.

audio1der
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Interesting. Was the spacing between the billet bars that small? Surprising that the stock hex grille is OK but the billet was not.
Will keep that in mind.

Sandy Swede
06-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Interesting. Was the spacing between the billet bars that small? Surprising that the stock hex grille is OK but the billet was not.
Will keep that in mind.

Spacing between the billet bars (slats, actually) is only 1/4". Sure feel like a ditz for not noticing that restriction sooner.

GMcKenzie
06-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Had one similar ice up on me one winter and send my temps up. Just driving, not towing. Don't like them at all.

hankaye
06-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Howdy All;

Don't know about ya'll, but, I'd get all choked up if I couldn't breath too.

hankaye

concours
06-30-2014, 05:53 AM
I took the billet grill off mine after the 1st trip due to higher engine and trans temps. I did some calculating of the surface area between the stock and billet grill and found that the air flow was reduced by 40% also don't forget that on the diesels the Intercooler needs all the air it can get or power is reduced

bobbecky
06-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I just happened to read the owner's manual after buying our rig a couple years ago, and there is actually a warning in the manual to add nothing in front of the cooler, as full air flow is critical to maintain cooler operation.

JRTJH
07-01-2014, 12:59 PM
It's the same issue with the F150 EcoBoost. The "V-8's" have the front license plate in the center of the bumper, the EcoBoost has it mounted on the driver's side next to the "ram air" for the intercooler/radiator. There's a caution not to obstruct the cooling air intake. On many of the forums, in 2011 (first year) there were a lot of new owners looking for ways to "blend" that gaping hole to make it look better. There was a lot of "expressed frustration" in not being able to just mount a billet grill in the hole.

Some people have learned that even putting a bicycle on a rack "up front" will disrupt airflow enough to cause overheating problems.

BC Canada
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Hubby has a dodge with an aftermarket grill inserts also and his temps run really high with all the mountain travelling. He almost ordered a cooler just his week, then decided to take 2 of the 4 inserts out and didn't have a problem. Our next trip is up a high mountain pass (also our new Fuzion is a lot heavier than our wildwood was) so he'll take out the other two inserts and not have to spend the $$$ on the cooler.