PDA

View Full Version : Towing tactics for a newbie

Sandy Swede
06-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Hello all Towing Mavens,

Although I have towed over a few short (less than 2 miles) 5 & 6% grades in western MD & PA, I have no experience towing in the Rockies. We are currently headed to Columbia Falls, MT on I-90. If I have scoped out the route correctly, our first challenge will be Bozeman Pass at approx 5,700'. What really concerns me is the Homestake Pass downgrade into Butte. There may be other challenges on the Homestake, but I have no idea. In general, on a downgrade with a 4-speed auto trans, should I leave it in Drive at a speed of 30 - 35 mph and firmly brake when the speed increase to 40 - 45 mph, or should I manually shift into 2nd or 3rd? I do not have a tach. I am aware that you want to avoid riding the brakes at all cost. I read somewhere on this forum "letting the torque converter do its job" but I do not understand where that fits into the picture.

Any wisdom and/or experience you might share is sincerely appreciated.

DocRoxy
06-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I will give you what little wisdom I have gained over 25 plus years of towing just about everything possible. letting the torque converter do its job basically means down shifting out of D. on an auto trans when you take it out of D, that has the overdrive ability, you take away the transmissions ability to shift when the RPM's increase. It will only shift as high as the gear you are in. so if you take it out of D and put it in 3rd gear it will not shift past 3 into 4 or overdrive. in 2 not past 2 etc.... this is a good thing on a down grade. For sure do not get into a situation where you have to keep hitting the brakes. The last thing you want is to heat up your brakes. you should base it on speed and engine rpm. it takes a little time but it will start to feel natural. the rpm depends on type of motor. a typical v8 that most tow with aside from diesel you should look for down hill speed towing around 40, maybe 35 to start. drop it in 3 see how she does and if need down to 2. the torque converters job is to limit the revolutions so you don't blow the motor when going down hill. I usually downshift and let the rpm's get up to 3-4K. remember start slow.... much harder to try and slow down on a grade. five minutes longer is no big deal to stay safe.

st_pinetree
06-27-2014, 06:27 PM
I live in the area, neither pass will be much of a concern. Take your time, heed the advice above and you should be fine. Today's vehicles are so much better than the old days at handling grades both up and down.

sagebel
06-27-2014, 07:28 PM
I think it has pretty much all been said. Also don't forget to have your trailer brake controller set to have the trailer brakes stop the trailer (not rely on the TV brakes)

Side note. We have traveled between Buffalo and WA on I-90 many times and always avoid Chicago by taking I-80 to I-35 back up to I-90.

Have a great trip.

Sandy Swede
06-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Sounds like good advice.

RaptyJon
07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
I just went up and down the mountains between Denver and Grand Junction and all I can suggest is keep it slow and don't be in a hurry. If your vehicle has a tow/haul mode, use it...let the engine do the braking more than you do. I hardly even touched my truck brakes going down grades, I just knew they were coming and slowed down to 45-50mph, let my tow/haul mode pop into a lower gear and just rode the high rpm's down the hill. If I started speeding up then I used the trailer brakes to slow me back down instead of the truck brakes. Just take your time really - if you're going slower than everyone else, who cares...they can pass you, that's what the other lane(s) are for.