PDA

View Full Version : When to replace tires?

DavidB
06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi: I'm told that even if tires on a 5th wheel don't show dry rot, replace them at about 6 years old. I just bought a 2010 that passed inspection, but I'm guessing the tires are probably 5 years old but have half decent tread and no signs of cracking. Do you think I should replace them as preventative maintenance?

hoffbrew
06-25-2014, 12:59 PM
If these are the original tires YES

Festus2
06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
If your tires are 5-6 years old, I would look at replacing them regardless of how much tread is showing. If you ask what tire I should be looking at ...... well that's another topic for another thread. Lot's of information about tires on here - including "best" brands, etc.
Personally, my choice would be Maxxis but there are another 2-3 tires I would take a serious look at. Many members are choosing Maxxis as an upgrade over the OEM tire aka "China Bombs".

DavidB
06-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks, friends. I was afraid someone was going to say that!

Bluewater
06-25-2014, 03:13 PM
You could look at the date code on the tires to verify their age.

DavidB
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Is the date buried in code or easy to find when you know when to look?

jimmyv13
06-25-2014, 05:04 PM
I found this to be helpful when trying to understand tires.

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do

It's a mobile site, so it may look a bit weird on a normal computer.

DavidB
06-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Jimmy, that's awesome. thanks!

jimmyv13
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
No worries, I hope it helps. I just picked up new Maxxis M8008's for my TT from www.realdealtires.com

Best prices I found. Check them out!

CWtheMan
06-26-2014, 04:51 AM
Hunting for the right answer to your question is a task in itself.

Publications from the Tire & Rim Association (TRA) and Rubber Manufacturers Associations (RMA) will provide a lot of insight but cant specifically answer the question.

Most of the manufacturers of Light Truck (LT) tires will give a maximum life expectancy of 10 years - with ifs. They will also recommend having tires older than five years inspected annually or before long trips.

The manufacturers of Special Trailer (ST) tires are very consistent with their 3-5 year life expectancy predictions.

So what it really boils down to for the owner is to know the history of the tires and how well they've been maintained while in use and protected while not in use.

IMO all tires used on RV trailer axles will have a very common life expectancy. But, there are always exceptions. One might be for steel cased tires.

CW