PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ox Bed Saver or Butchs latch kit?

rugermark2
06-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Does anyone us the blue ox bed saver? Is it worth price? Does anyone use Butchs latch kit? I keep hearing all these horror stories about dropped 5th wheels.

cmlong
06-25-2014, 02:55 PM
I have the Blue ox. Before I got it I got too involved in talking to another camper when I was unhooking the trailer, dropped it on the bed, $1,250.

Since I have installed it I have also been very careful so as not to have it happen again.

turbopilot51
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
X2 on the Blue Ox bed saver. For obvious reasons.:banghead:

jsmith948
06-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I've heard the horror stories as well. I have driven over the road pulling semi trailers for 2.5 million miles. Never had a fifth wheel hitch come loose (touch wood). Just make sure your hitch is mechanically sound and working properly. Make absolutely sure that the jaws of your hitch are latched around the king pin by visually confirming that they are latched as well as doing the 'tug test'. Make sure that when you hitch your trailer, that your trailer's pick up plate contacts the hitch 'ramp' about 2/3 the way up so that, when you back under the trailer, the pin box rides up on the fifth wheel hitch plate. This will prevent a high hitch, which happens when the trailer is positioned too high and the hitch jaws latch around the flange of the king pin instead of the shank (you will think it is latched, but it will slip out of the jaws when you turn). Fifth wheel hitches are the safest type of hitch - that's why you aren't required to use safety chains with a fifth wheel hitch. If you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing when hooking up your trailer, you don't need a bed saver. JMHO - FWIW:):

rugermark2
06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the information. My maiden voyage is this weekend and I have only towed from the dealership, just want to be safe as I can be.

randy69
06-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Installed blue ox in 2009 gives me scurity ( just in case) just as a power management read out for my electrical.

rhagfo
06-25-2014, 07:15 PM
X2 on the Blue Ox bed saver. For obvious reasons.:banghead:

Well IF i was to get one it would be the Blue Ox as it is automatic, for the same reason you would drop the 5er, you would forget to latch the Butch's.

I don't see the need for either, I pull with the notorious Reese 16K twin jaw, and have forgotten to latch the lock TWICE!

The first time I drove a 1/4 block before I hopped out and locked it.

The second time I drove over 20 miles on freeway and country roads, stop signs, turns, rail road crossings. Discovered it when I went to unhitch at a weigh station to figure pin weight!!!

This is why I believe in the Reese 16K, and that 99.9% of 5er dropped from it are high hitched. The design is such that the harder you pull, it forces the jaws shut due to the location of the pivot points!!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_133149_0_78950ff382b3d70cc6696ec41d0cfa7c.jpg

mguay
06-26-2014, 02:50 AM
I have a one from Butch and LOVE it. The best part is the price! When I bought it they were 1/2 the price of the Blue Ox.

As rhagfo stated it CAN be another thing to forget...however there is NO need to open it to hook up. You can drive under it and then drop the king pin in front of it.

bsmith0404
06-26-2014, 03:05 AM
I don't use one, to be honest had never heard of it until this post (where have I been), but I really don't see a need. Would it be a good insurance plan, absolutely and much cheaper than deductible for any repairs. The reason I don't see a need for it, as others have stated, I believe disconnects are due to human error, high pin hook-ups, forgetting to latch the hitch etc. I am anal about checking everything 2-3 times before I start driving. I check pin height, I lock the hitch, I do a pull check. I get in the truck to drive away, then question if I checked everything and go through it all over again. I've seen trucks with the bed rails smashed from dropping a trailer on them, I don't want that to happen to me, my truck, or my RV. Did I mention that I double and triple check everything? The Blue Ox would probably provide peace of mind, but I would worry more about causing complacency with some people.

rugermark2
06-26-2014, 05:24 AM
Since I haven't hooked up my 5th wheel by myself I am a little paranoid. I had a really good routine with my travel trailer, I never forgot anything. I think I just need to develop a new one for the 5th wheel. Thanks for all the input.

rugermark2
06-26-2014, 01:00 PM
I pull with the notorious Reese 16K twin jaw What does this mean? I have the same hitch.

webslave
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
I have Butch's unit; I was the first one to successfully modify the unit for a B&W Companion hitch. I like it. It isn't "automatic" like the Blue Ox unit, but, it is light enough that I can still remove the Companion by myself with it attached and it is hard to miss it being "activated". That really long handle with the red hand grip is kind of obvious and it does eliminate a "hitch failure" problem or a high hitch (not conceivable to me with the B&W). To make it harder to not latch Butch's saver, the handle is right by the 7 pin connector in the bed of my truck. If I'm ever brain dead enough to have to move the handle out of the way to plug the 5er in without engaging the unit, then I'll be selling the 5er and retire to my porch to watch the grass grow.

So, no it isn't "automatic" like the Blue Ox, but, it is one more step in insuring that I don't do something really dumb; it is possible that I might not lock the jaws (but, the B&W locks if the pin is in the hitch), but, it would be a very rare instance where I would not lock the handle and not latch Butch's saver. I got mine real early and paid ~$50 for it and to me that is very cost effective "insurance" against the one time, even after checking multiple times, that I do something "human".

rugermark2
06-26-2014, 04:01 PM
I think I will probably get the butchs latch kit it's only $69. When I picked up my 5th wheel the service tech told me I should get one, he said he's dropped one before and that it would be cheap insurance. I just didn't believe him I thought they were just trying to sell me something else.

rhagfo
06-27-2014, 05:32 AM
I have a one from Butch and LOVE it. The best part is the price! When I bought it they were 1/2 the price of the Blue Ox.

As rhagfo stated it CAN be another thing to forget...however there is NO need to open it to hook up. You can drive under it and then drop the king pin in front of it.

Exactly the wrong way to hook up a 5th wheel hitch!! The NUMBER ONE reason for high hitching.

What does this mean? I have the same hitch.

Because most "Dropped 5er's" happen with a Reese, it is assumed that it is a faulty hitch. It is also the most used hitch out there, if 75% of 5er are towed with one, it for sure will have the most drops.
I believe that used correctly, it is one of the best hitches on the market, I bought it for the jaw design. (Illustrated in an earlier post)

I ALWAYS hitch up with the pin lower than the hitch head by about and inch to an inch and a half.

I also leave the handle closed, but not locked this way the jaws will open when I back in, and shut once the pin is all the way in. I can then do a "Pull Test" with most of the weight off the pin, if I high hitched it would be easier to pull out with less weight on the pin.

Once done, I lock the handle hook up the breakaway switch, and do a VISUAL check of the pin and jaws.

One other thing I did as safety measure, I modified the release handle, so it no longer turned up.

I went from this.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_133339_0_4385bbda7506eb0581fe5a42dc51de1a.jpg

To this in less 15 minutes, simply cut just past the elbow up and now it is flat and out of the way of a swinging pin box.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_133339_1_90727f5c12573de88ad253539910153c.jpg

rugermark2
06-27-2014, 06:27 AM
I ALWAYS hitch up with the pin lower than the hitch head by about and inch to an inch and a half
This is exactly what my owners manual says.
The only reason why I was thinking of getting a bed saver or latch kit was I was concerned that the hitch didn't have enough safety features. It is sounding like they are safer than a travel trailer ball and hitch.
The Reese hitch I have look like your bottom picture. The handle is flat face the cab. Reese must have changed there design.

mguay
06-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Exactly the wrong way to hook up a 5th wheel hitch!! The NUMBER ONE reason for high hitching.

Actually I think you misunderstood me. I will try to explain it better...

With the distance between the Butch Latch and the jaws you could go over the latch and then set the pinbox down on the hitch well behind the jaws.

I have no idea why you would want to do this other than being lazy and not wanting to pull the lever while opening the jaws and then pushing it back while locking the hitch handle.

I do agree that High Hitching is the number one reason for a dropped 5er.

dave-g
06-29-2014, 02:03 AM
interesting- one thing I did that really helps- I painted the back edge of the hitch jaws white. That way when looking in the hitch to confirm it is latch the jaws jump out.

rhagfo
06-29-2014, 06:05 AM
interesting- one thing I did that really helps- I painted the back edge of the hitch jaws white. That way when looking in the hitch to confirm it is latch the jaws jump out.

I have also done this, and I also painted the bottom of the pin florescent orange, just to make the visual check that much easier!!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_133564_0_84143266061bf6e0369b4d40898c776f.jpg

americanrascal
06-29-2014, 08:31 AM

X2 Have had one for a year or so and love it. Installed in about 20 minutes. No spills no drops no errors

BeaverRZR
06-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Had this happen last thursday. Completely my fault as i broke from my normal hookup routine. Wont need a Bedsaver now as the wife will never let me forget this....

randy69
06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Ok here is a picture of my security. A piece of mind.

LZScout
06-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Does anyone with the Blue Ox Bed Saver have to raise their 5th Wheel in order to clear it when unhitching? I have the Pull Rite Super glide hitch with a factory installed Blue Ox bed saver and I have to raise/lower the 5th Wheel when unhitching/hitching in order to clear it.

LZScout

byrdr1
06-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Had this happen last thursday. Completely my fault as i broke from my normal hookup routine. Wont need a Bedsaver now as the wife will never let me forget this....
I am sorry that happened to you... I know that wife thing all to well...
randy

randy69
06-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Does anyone with the Blue Ox Bed Saver have to raise their 5th Wheel in order to clear it when unhitching? I have the Pull Rite Super glide hitch with a factory installed Blue Ox bed saver and I have to raise/lower the 5th Wheel when unhitching/hitching in order to clear it.

LZScout

I have a 22000 pound Reese hitch. There are several mounting holes for a blue ox mounting. My blue ox is lower than the hitch.

rhagfo
06-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Got to ask, what step did you miss, did you high hitch, or shut the jaws??

BeaverRZR
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
forgot to latch the jaws shut

rhagfo
07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
forgot to latch the jaws shut

If is is a Reese twin Jaw leave the handle in with the jaws closed and the locking latch UNLATCHED when hitching, the jaws will lock behind the pin. That is the way I connect and can do a tug test as soon as the pin hits the front of the hitch.

Barbell
12-31-2014, 08:48 PM
We are considering the Blue Ox bed saver and wonder what others think of it. We have a Reese 16K hitch. In pulling from a campground in North Carolina recently, the trailer separated and fell on the truck bed. Upon examining the hitch, a poorly done weld on one of the jaws allowed it to open and release the pin. To Reese's credit, they overnighted a new hitch to us and we lost only one day. Damage to the truck was in excess of $7500 but none to the trailer. Reese paid in full for all damage including a new truck bed but not without a fight. My insurance company paid for the repair and then went after Reese and collected in full including my deductible. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to take pictures of the defective hitch shortly after it happened. However, I don't ever want to go through that again, whether it is the fault of the manufacturer or mine. What do you think?

theeyres
12-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Part of this discussion has to do with the brand of your hitch. I've never had a Reese. I had a Hijacker on my fifth wheel and it was almost impossible to not get it hitched properly. When you backed under it, when it was correct, the whole thing went CLANG and it was hitched. You drop in the safety pin or padlock and it was hooked. It was automatic. You didn't have to do anything. I guess with Reese's you have to manually lock it. So depending on your hitch you may not need the safety net.

Ayotte
01-01-2015, 06:15 AM
I have a Reese with the slide bar. It is almost impossible to not know if it is properly hooked. Lock it open when you back in and it hooks(big clunk)get out and put a pin or lock through the matching holes. As long as you don't hitch high I can't see how I would ever become unlocked.