PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 reasons Festus hasn't posted a week 6

Kristi
06-24-2014, 08:03 AM
5. He's camping...
4. He's still trying to figure the proper use of y'all
3. He's out looking for Arugula
2. We just weren't that funny last week... nah, that can't be it.
1. His DW finally saw what he's been up to on the forum.... Don't worry, she will let him back in the house eventually...

Festus2
06-24-2014, 08:24 AM
5. He's camping...
4. He's still trying to figure the proper use of y'all
3. He's out looking for Arugula
2. We just weren't that funny last week... nah, that can't be it.
1. His DW finally saw what he's been up to on the forum.... Don't worry, she will let him back in the house eventually...

Kristi -
Y'all got me figured out -- :eek: Yes, I have spent the last 2 weeks scouring our local supermarkets for Arugula but to no avail. When I ask about it, they give me a funny look - probably because I haven't yet learned the correct pronunciation of "arugula".

I've got the Top 4 sitting here on my desk and am awaiting for that elusive 5th one to be posted. I thought it came along late last night but alas it was just another member asking about the location of the water pump. Actually, I am beginning to think that Arugula and water pumps have something in common - apparently each is very hard to find :rolleyes:

You don't know my DW very well. I have been out in the doghouse for years and am only allowed in the house to eat and pee. So no, I will not be let "back in the house eventually".

But I do appreciate your concern about the state of the "Top Five". Stay tuned. :D

KanTC
06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
:rofl: Kristi!!!

We moved to NM 23 yrs ago, and I STILL haven't figured the proper use of y'all :o
And, I'm often reminded by my daughter who's lived in TX for 10 yrs

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

SAABDOCTOR
06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
IN THE SOUTH U-HAUL IS Y'ALL HAUL:D As far as Arugula i have had it and I think I'd rather look for the water pump!!!! Don't woory Festus your not alone. Some people ask me you must have big dogs their house is so big! I tell them sometimes the dogs sleep with me so I need the extra room:banghead:

hankaye
06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Howdy All;

I'm waitin' for Festus to discover the Western Pa. "you'ns"
or "y'uns" depending on how close to Pittsburgh y'uns live...

hankaye

GaryWT
06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Boy I am glad y'all don't pick on us from Boston...

My daughter has been in Ohio for 4 years and y'all has become part of her vocabulary.

Nice post Kristi, I love it.

Festus2
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Howdy Ally;

I'm waitin' for Festus to discover the Western Pa. "you'ns"
or "y'uns" depending on how close to Pittsburgh y'uns live...

hankaye

the other Hank -

Howdy Ally ? You got me, Hank. Who is this "Ally"? Checked and doubled checked --- no one in this thread named Ally. :D

Murphsmom
06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Once you master y'all, you will have to start in on "all y'all", which is different than y'all.

Festus2
06-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Once you master y'all, you will have to start in on "all y'all", which is different than y'all.

I think "y'all" essentially refers to just one person so if you ask, "Y'all like that?", you are asking just one person if he/she likes that.

So, taking this to the next level, I would think that "all y'all" refers to more than one person, as in a group. Then "All y'all like that?" means that you are asking a group of people if they like that?

Please, tell me I'm on the right track. :D :confused:

hankpage
06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Yep! You are on the right track .... but I think the train is coming. So y'all better git off da track whilst ya can!!!!!

dandjh1958
06-26-2014, 08:53 PM
You don't know my DW very well. I have been out in the doghouse for years and am only allowed in the house to eat and pee. So no, I will not be let "back in the house eventually".

So you now know from the other forum post that you can pee in the shower so if she only lets you in the house to eat...... you may not get back in ;-)

Festus2
06-26-2014, 09:47 PM
So you now know from the other forum post that you can pee in the shower so if she only lets you in the house to eat...... you may not get back in ;-)

Gee, thanks, I would have never have thought of that. That's what I really like about this forum - not a day goes by without learning something.

Thanks, dandjh, for the heads up.

jsmith948
06-27-2014, 03:45 AM
Having grown up in NJ, it wasn't y'all or all y'all or y'uns. It was yu'se guys or just the abbreviated yu'se:)

hankpage
06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Having grown up in NJ, it wasn't y'all or all y'all or y'uns. It was yu'se guys or just the abbreviated yu'se:)

Ya'know, Yu'se guys crack me up, ya'know. Translation for jsmith948 in case he forgot how to tawk "Like fer real dude."

SAABDOCTOR
06-27-2014, 05:37 AM
GARY Y'all making fun of us from bahstin? :D

hankaye
06-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Festus2, Howdy;

the other Hank -

Howdy Ally ? You got me, Hank. Who is this "Ally"? Checked and doubled checked --- no one in this thread named Ally. :D

Sorry 'bout dat ... just got back from fishin' in Mont. you'z'll have to 'cuse me if'in
my literary prowess is a tad short.

hankaye

SAABDOCTOR
06-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Hey y'all i'm fixin to go campin;) WHATEVER!

antiqfreq
06-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I hate to repeat myself but,

I, uh,

We, uh,

Oh forget it !

Jo

(Dang, I am getting good at this avoiding the answer thingee........)

DavidinTexas
07-01-2014, 12:21 PM
OK - I can't stand it.....

Y'all is short for "You All: which is an overly explicit use the plural "you". Bad grammar begets bad grammar I guess....

Therefore, Y'all is plural and refers to a group of folks not just one person.

Just could not help myself .....

hankpage
07-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Y'all is short for "You All: which is an overly explicit use the plural "you". Bad grammar begets bad grammar I guess....

Y'all has to be singular also. Every waitress in the south can't be wrong. I know I have heard it thousands of times ...... Y'all want grits??? Or maybe it's Ya'll that's singular. Y'all have a nice day now ya hear, Hank

Festus2
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM

DavidinTexas:
Previously, I was told by one of your countrymen, that Y'all was singular now you're telling me that it is plural. So, if I wanted to use some form of "y'all" to refer to just one person, what is correct form of that?

Why not just drop the "y'all" and all forms of it, and simply say "you" or "everyone" or "everybody"?

Like you, I not only "can't stand it", but also can't understand it.

Very confusing .....:confused:

So Cal CPA
07-01-2014, 09:45 PM
From Wikipedia

"Y’all (/jɔːl/ yawl) is a contraction of the words "you" and "all". It is used as a plural second-person pronoun."

But for addressing larger groups-again plural the term All Y'all should be used, but apparently it's a judgement call as to usage.

"All y’all, all of y’all, and alls y’all are used by some speakers to indicate a larger group than is necessarily implied by y'all."

I'm originally from California so I really have no idea how to use either but thought I'd try to add to the confusion!

JRTJH
07-02-2014, 05:36 AM
From Wikipedia

"Y’all (/jɔːl/ yawl) is a contraction of the words "you" and "all". It is used as a plural second-person pronoun."

But for addressing larger groups-again plural the term All Y'all should be used, but apparently it's a judgement call as to usage.

"All y’all, all of y’all, and alls y’all are used by some speakers to indicate a larger group than is necessarily implied by y'all."

I'm originally from California so I really have no idea how to use either but thought I'd try to add to the confusion!

Here is Wikipedia's contact information:

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
149 New Montgomery Street
Floor 6
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA

Although they may have a vast website of "knowledge" that grows by the minute, their "roots" are firmly planted in the same place from which you hail. While they have the "basics" or the "rudimentary use" of the terms, Y'all, All Y'all, All of Y'all, and Y'all all somewhat explained, the only way to really get the "correct and purposeful use" is to observe those who have never left the southeast portion of the US. Those who leave (such as myself) tend to become influenced by the cultural differences in other parts of the country and lose some of the "up to date" aspects of the "blended common employment" (BCE) of the terms. It is the "Blended Specifics" (BS) usage of the terms that occur in the "purest form" that provide us with the simple pleasures of the colloquial language.

Now if you understand even a little bit of what I just said, "heaven help y'all all".......

Kristi
07-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Wow, who knew picking on Festus could become such a debate? :D As a NC native who didn't move very far from the SE, Ya'll is plural Festus. The Northern equivalent would be yous guys?

geo
07-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Here is Wikipedia's contact information:

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
149 New Montgomery Street
Floor 6
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA

Although they may have a vast website of "knowledge" that grows by the minute, their "roots" are firmly planted in the same place from which you hail. While they have the "basics" or the "rudimentary use" of the terms, Y'all, All Y'all, All of Y'all, and Y'all all somewhat explained, the only way to really get the "correct and purposeful use" is to observe those who have never left the southeast portion of the US. Those who leave (such as myself) tend to become influenced by the cultural differences in other parts of the country and lose some of the "up to date" aspects of the "blended common employment" (BCE) of the terms. It is the "Blended Specifics" (BS) usage of the terms that occur in the "purest form" that provide us with the simple pleasures of the colloquial language.

Now if you understand even a little bit of what I just said, "heaven help y'all all".......

JRTJH -

I know you will understand ...

"Bless your little heart". :D. :D. (Said in that true Southern sense!)

Ron

Kristi
07-02-2014, 05:50 AM
:rofl: geo!

JRTJH -

Ron

JRTJH
07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
JRTJH -

Ron

That was Grandma's favorite term. Well, that and another phrase filled with expletives that she'd never repeat in front of the preacher......

murphysranch
07-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Now, where oh where is the LIKE button for these posts?"bouncey:

hankpage
07-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Now, where oh where is the LIKE button for these posts?"bouncey:

Like really, we don't like do that like thingy like here. That's like that Face place, like honest. Have a nice day, like fer sure, Hank :D

SAABDOCTOR
07-02-2014, 08:16 AM
OW I'M HURT! Dave a waitress said y'll to me i was alone! does this mean i am so fat i look like two people?:banghead:

Festus2
07-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Wow, who knew picking on Festus could become such a debate? ?

Kristi and "gang" -
Picking on Festus has not only become a "debate" but also the thing to do. Some time ago, Kristi suggested 5 reasons why the Top Five was a bit late appearing; all of which by the way, were spot on.
Let it be known that Festus :
1) Is going away for a few days so Week 7 will, like Week 6, be late. I'm running away to escape the verbal abuse I am suffering here on the forum.
2) Has given up trying to figure out "y'all" so stop trying to educate me on its correct usage. I've come to the conclusion that y'all don't know what yu'se guys are talking about. Hate to ask but is there such an expression as "yu'se gals"? or does "yu'se guys cover both sexes?

3) Wishes my American neighbours a Happy 4th of July. Enjoy and be safe.

4) Has given up any hope of having this thread make any sense and remain on topic --- whatever that was.

:USA:

hankpage
07-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Yu'se Guys (unisex), Enjoy your time away. I for one, will be saving my abuse till you return. :D Travel safely, Hank

Javi
07-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Well bless y'all's little pea pickin' hearts... (possessive pronoun)

Y'all can be a singular or plural pronoun depending on how many folks you is talking to at the time... Such as...

Singular as in askin' your best buddy "Eddy Ray" if he's going to the barn dance this Saturday night. "Y'all goin' to the big dance 'morrow nite, Eddie Ray"

Or plural as in... Is y'all going to the big dance 'morrow nite, Eddie Ray, Barney Ray, cousin Claude and Uncle Festus?

:D:D:D

Steve S
07-02-2014, 09:48 AM
I see that we might be talking about road kill and possum recipes soon:thewave:

Javi
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I see that we might be talking about road kill and possum recipes soon:thewave:

Hey... don't be hating on the lowly possum. Possum stew, possum pot pie, fricasseed possum and barbequed possum is all good.... Tastes like pork.

I won't even tell you how many fresh road kills I've picked up and skinned for the freezer.

hankpage
07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Did somebody say Possum??

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_134089_0_e3683de3c31bf64ed6d2998ae9721a75.jpg
Happy 4th of July!!

DavidinTexas
07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
What can I say - been living in the Deep South for 60 years .....

Dave & SUe
07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I always was told "all y'all" was plural.

Ken / Claudia
07-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Javi, I hit afew possums while working over the years and one I tried to miss since I was in a Camero, took out the oil pan. I was around 90-100 mph and by the time I stopped the lack of oil in the engine caused a big repair bill. I think that possum cost the tax payers several thousand.