PDA

View Full Version : Oven stoneware

Steve S
06-22-2014, 05:16 PM
So I'm using BBQ flat bricks at the moment in my oven as a test and I bought this from Pampered Chef and I was wondering if anyone uses one and what their experiences have been.
I want to cook fresh made pizzas on it which will work great but I've noticed that when cooking in general with the bricks it seems that I really have to crank the heat.
Will things be the same with this stoneware?

theeyres
06-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes, it will work just fine but you will have to crank up the heat for a long time... Those lousy ovens take for ever to heat.

Javi
06-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Although I've never tried to cook a pizza in am RV oven, I have used a pizza stone in the oven for years.

Yes it does take longer for the oven to heat while using a stone or bricks, more mass = more time to heat. But it also equals a more even heat which makes the Cathead biscuits a bunch more better... :D

Steve S
06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Well I tried it tonight and made my own dough, fresh everything and cooked it straight on the stone and it was awesome! I'm impressed and sold on it now:)
Yes these ovens need a bit more btus but if you think ahead with what you're planning on cooking and heat the oven to a decent temp then there's never a problems.

Woodsrider
06-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Interesting. I'd given thought to this in the past, but hadn't acted yet. What's the size of that PC stone?

Steve S
06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Interesting. I'd given thought to this in the past, but hadn't acted yet. What's the size of that PC stone?

It's 15x12 and it just fits, it takes some heating up but that would be expecting with any oven but it sure does bring back some memories of when I was chef in NYC.

Woodsrider
06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I've wanted one for the even heat. I haven't used the oven, other that to keep pan cakes warm, but I cant imagine that oven cooking anything evenly as built.

We're actually on our 2nd stone in the house. The first one mysteriously broke after 22 years while baking an artisan bread loaf. DW and I were both pretty bummed.

Murphsmom
06-25-2014, 05:49 AM
We do our pizza outside on the George Foreman grill. I had never thought about using a stone to get it to cook more evenly. Will definitely take it along next time, though.

Steve S
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
I use mine on the BBQ and it works great for seafood especially crab legs.:)

Nitka
06-26-2014, 07:11 PM
About 8 yrs ago I got lucky and picked one up at a garage sale for $0.50. They had a set of three different sizes, but I thought DH would complain if I bought it. He thinks I need to limit what I pack in the trailer for some strange reason :p

We decided to try it in the trailer and I wouldn't cook without it. I have made cookies, pizza, biscuits (which turn out freakin awesome by the way, crunchy on the bottom and fluffy on top). In fact, I leave it in when cooking anything else in a regular baking pan as well. It seems to help prevent burn spots.

I haven't noticed it taking too long to pre-heat, not compared to my house, but I also don't have gas at home so 15 minutes is normal. And I also don't always pre-heat it. I've noticed it can burn the bottoms of cookies way before they're done. :bm:

Oh, I will mention that we flip the cookies like a pancake about 1/2 way through so they cook evenly. :cool:

Steve S
06-27-2014, 08:49 AM
About 8 yrs ago I got lucky and picked one up at a garage sale for $0.50. They had a set of three different sizes, but I thought DH would complain if I bought it. He thinks I need to limit what I pack in the trailer for some strange reason :p

We decided to try it in the trailer and I wouldn't cook without it. I have made cookies, pizza, biscuits (which turn out freakin awesome by the way, crunchy on the bottom and fluffy on top). In fact, I leave it in when cooking anything else in a regular baking pan as well. It seems to help prevent burn spots.

I haven't noticed it taking too long to pre-heat, not compared to my house, but I also don't have gas at home so 15 minutes is normal. And I also don't always pre-heat it. I've noticed it can burn the bottoms of cookies way before they're done. :bm:

Oh, I will mention that we flip the cookies like a pancake about 1/2 way through so they cook evenly. :cool:

I've also noticed that pre-heating the oven isn't really necessary as well as the stone heats up pretty quick.
Thanks for sharing the tip on flipping the cookies, I've never thought of that but it's a great idea:)

curlyfungirl
07-02-2014, 02:42 AM
We use one of those glass table top ovens that cooks with light. I e "nu wave" type. Things cook evenly and quickly. You can bake in them too. You can cook frozen raw sausage in four to five minutes Helps cut down on the propane use and keep the kitchen cool in the summer.