PDA

View Full Version : Marmots aka Varmints!

Festus2
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM
We just spent a few days at one of BC's interior fishing lakes which is not only home to silvery rainbow trout but also to yellow-bellied marmots. While there, we noticed that several campers had the hoods of their trucks raised slightly which seemed a bit odd. Some even had pieces of firewood propped under it to keep it open.

After spending too much time wondering why they had their hoods partially opened, I finally went up to one camper and asked. He told me that was to keep the marmots out of the engine compartment. Now, what is there about an engine compartment that would attract a marmot? It seems that they like the firewall insulation to make their "nests" warm and cozy for the winter.

By leaving the hood open, it discourages the marmots from climbing in there since the firewall is now is exposed to light and they won't chew off and steal the insulation in "broad daylight". What self-respecting marmot would do that? One fisherman told me he has a flashing 12V LED light - hooked up to his battery - inside his engine compartment to discourage them.

He told me that I should check my engine compartment to see if I had any insulation that was "missing". Sure enough, when I opened the hood and looked at the firewall, there was a spot where some varmint or other critter had got in there and ran off with some of the pink stuff. Apparently, mice and other such four-legged creatures belong to this same "hood" - no pun intended.

It seems that if you go off into certain areas- fields, etc - where marmots or mice hang out - you too could become a victim of crime. I tried calling the RCMP but the campground was out of cell phone coverage. If you boondock, you might want to find out if there are any of these critters around and check your engine compartment from time-to-time.

BC Canada
06-14-2014, 09:43 AM
What campground were you at? Was it Tunkwa Lake by chance?

KanTC
06-14-2014, 10:05 AM
:D Oh my, Festus!! Not funny to have your insulation stolen (of course), but a cute story..... brave, sneaky & resourceful lil' critters!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Festus2
06-14-2014, 11:42 AM
What campground were you at? Was it Tunkwa Lake by chance?

Leighton --- right next door. Both lakes have plenty of them.

hankpage
06-14-2014, 01:25 PM
That's why I always head south .... the snakes and gators keep those smaller critters under control.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1153

BC Canada
06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Leighton --- right next door. Both lakes have plenty of them.

Ah yes, I remember them there, we might head up that way for the July long weekend, didn't know about leaving the hood open a bit we'll have to do that :)

hankaye
06-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Festus2, Howdy;

Had a similar kind of event one Spring back in Ohio.
Some of the smaller birds (chicadees, or small sparrows ),
decieded that inside the hood of my infrequently used pick-up
truck (it was a gas hog), as a nesting site ... popped the hood
one day to do a fluid check/battery condition ect. and found
the whole engine compartment full of straw, twigs you name it :eek:
took a day and a half to get it all cleared out. Kept the hood propped open
about 3"s and they never returned ...

hankaye

theeyres
06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Even way south of you, here in Green Valley, AZ, many people people put lights on a sensor under their vehicles. Others use rope lights. Seems those varmints love insulation--and the plastic coating on wires--and have a field day.

dandjh1958
06-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Oh my gosh! At one of the local campgrounds we love, there are many, many, MANY ground rodents that love to beg/steal food and we noticed them jumping up into the truck. We thought it was just to eat whatever they had just stolen in peace and quiet but now we know the little snotheads are stealing FROM the truck! We are going to check out the insulation and hoses before we head down their again and make sure we leave the hood open a little and see if that keeps them out!
Thanks for the info!!

Happy (critter free) camping!!