PDA

View Full Version : Skirting

Steve S
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm looking for skirting for my trailer and I can't find anyone in B.C that supplies them:eek:
I was at the dealer yesterday and he called many people and he said that the only place to get skirting is in the States.
Does anyone know where I can get these close by or online:confused:

JRTJH
06-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Steve,

When we were in Wichita recently, I took these pictures of RV's in the campground we stayed in. Obviously they are full-timing and probably not moving very often. The skirting they had installed is a heavy duty vinyl (similar to boat canopies) with snaps every 12-18" along the top and stake loops along the bottom every 36" or so... It looked like a really good way to have some control of weather under the RV and still be able to be mobile in "not too long"...

This might be a consideration for you depending on your needs.

Festus2
06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm sure if you Googled RV skirting, you'd find plenty of hits to explore - most of which are probably in the US. As JRTJH suggested, using heavy duty vinyl with snaps is one way to go. Many marine bimini makers will custom make what you are looking for - including all the SS snaps necessary to fasten it to your RV.

Many people also use a combination of foil-backed insulation, vinyl siding or plywood. This method takes a bit more time and effort to make and install but is probably more efficient in keeping your RV "winter proof". It might also be less costly than a custom-made, flexible vinyl skirt and if you are reasonably handy, you can fabricate the rigid type yourself.

BulletOwner1
06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I agree with Festus2, your local upholsterer/boat canvas maker should be able to build what you want. While I think they are very useful and can be done to be attractive some parks may not allow them because it opens the door for, shall we say, less attractive solutions to neat and tidy skirting. Salvaged siding, hay bales etc......

hankaye
06-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Steve S. Howdy;

When I got my skirting made for my RV I used these folks.

rvskirting.com
I went to them while relocating from Utah to Southern
New Mexico. They also will work with you and explain how
to measure your RV to ensure a good and proper fit.

hankaye

Steve S
06-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, the picks and ideas have got me thinking:)
As my surgeon wants me to stick close by for the next 3 yrs I got to thinking about building a 2x4 insulated skirt and installing vinyl siding on it.
The RV guy told me this morning that it'll be way better this way to keep my floors warm in the winter and he also said I won't need to buy tank heaters.

Brantlaker
06-13-2014, 11:37 AM
My local Marina makes Boat Covers and I showed her what I wanted she took the measurements for a storage area / bike garage.The DW picked the color and the fabric to be used and if it looks good will have her make the skirting to match.

rhagfo
06-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Steve,

When we were in Wichita recently, I took these pictures of RV's in the campground we stayed in. Obviously they are full-timing and probably not moving very often. The skirting they had installed is a heavy duty vinyl (similar to boat canopies) with snaps every 12-18" along the top and stake loops along the bottom every 36" or so... It looked like a really good way to have some control of weather under the RV and still be able to be mobile in "not too long"...

This might be a consideration for you depending on your needs.

Why would you think they are not moving very often? I would think putting that skirting on takes less than 15 minutes, about the same to remove. Depending on bulk and weight, I would use during winter weekend camping. Once you create a dead air space under the trailer, a simple quartz light would keep much warmer down there.
Only issue I see is if a propane had a leak.

JRTJH
06-16-2014, 02:22 AM
Why would you think they are not moving very often? I would think putting that skirting on takes less than 15 minutes, about the same to remove. Depending on bulk and weight, I would use during winter weekend camping. Once you create a dead air space under the trailer, a simple quartz light would keep much warmer down there.
Only issue I see is if a propane had a leak.

Flower pots and other lawn decorations, permanent awnings with permanent raised wooden patios, yard storage buildings painted to match the RV/skirting, etc. Those were just a "few of the clues" that they weren't going anywhere soon....

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/housework/mowing-the-lawn-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Steve S
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Why would you think they are not moving very often?

Old cars with the hoods up with no tires, dogs chained to dog houses...etc.:eek::)

hankpage
06-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Flower pots and other lawn decorations, permanent awnings with permanent raised wooden patios, yard storage buildings painted to match the RV/skirting, etc. Those were just a "few of the clues" that they weren't going anywhere soon....

The 100lb. propane tank makes a heck of a sound if you try to drag it buy that hose also. :rolleyes:

Bushman512000
06-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Made up the skirting using salvage material hid all things from prying eyes. One clown asked to see under the nose of the 5er to see what We had under there .I said that was why We have it closed in to keep our things private My 4x4 bike was there but locked also I did not show the nosey Guy the storage area He was half drunk and a pain for a week till He left the camp ...Bushman:D