PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Keystone Springdale 179rd

mrbill4
06-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the rear bumper on a 2005 Springdale 179rd.....thanks, bill

Festus2
06-07-2014, 03:44 PM
bill -
I believe 200 lbs is the limit but I wouldn't recommend putting anything on the rear bumper other than a spare tire. Some people have asked about adding bike racks but without reinforcing the bumper or by welding a receiver hitch to the frame, it's not a good idea.
The bumper is flimsy at best and there have been reports of cracked or broken welds from some members.

mrbill4
06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
thanks for the info.......I really messed up because I just ordered a receiver hitch to fit on the bumper, and double receiver for a tire carrier and cargo carrier and a 60" x 24"cargo carrier costing me $494.00.

mrbill4
06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
thanks for the info.......I really messed up because I just ordered a hitch to fit on the bumper, and double receiver for a tire carrier and cargo carrier.

Ken / Claudia
06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Do not put that stuff on that factory bumper or you will at some point find it lying on the highway. Next time you see a trailer traveling at highway speed with a spare tire mounted on the any of these sheet metal bumpers. See what it is doing, some look as thou they are ready to break off from all the bouncing.

mrbill4
06-10-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm now trying to decide whether to buy a Curt trailer hitch 13701 or 13703 to have installed to the frame and under the rear bumper.

JRTJH
06-10-2014, 04:11 PM
The Curt hitch is rated to tow a trailer. It is not rated to carry a cargo carrier or a "static load" such as a bike rack. In the installation instructions, there is a warning that if used with a "static load" additional reinforcement and stabilizers must be used.

Before you decide to install the Curt hitch, go to their website, download the installation instructions and read the warning at the top of the first page.

mrbill4
06-18-2014, 01:59 PM
The Curt hitch is rated to tow a trailer. It is not rated to carry a cargo carrier or a "static load" such as a bike rack. In the installation instructions, there is a warning that if used with a "static load" additional reinforcement and stabilizers must be used.

Before you decide to install the Curt hitch, go to their website, download the installation instructions and read the warning at the top of the first page.

I read the article on-line so I bought stabilizer straps and used them on the back of my Tahoe and they work great

JRTJH
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I read the article on-line so I bought stabilizer straps and used them on the back of my Tahoe and they work great

Stabilizer straps work well on a Tahoe, but there's not many places to secure them on a travel trailer.....