PDA

View Full Version : Stinky toilet

Bushey86
06-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Ok, so this is our fourth weekend out in our new trailer (premier 29bhpr). I just can't seem to get the stink out of our toilet. Every time I flush there is an awful smell coming out. I leave the valve closed until I dump at the end of the weekend. I flush it out good with the outside hose connection, and water/cleaner directly into the toilet. Also put about 5 gallons of water in after cleaning,and 2 pods of the disinfectant that the dealer sold me (sorry I don't have the brand handy) anyone have any ideas or maybe a better product recomandation? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Javi
06-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Just a guess, but turn off the vent fan before flushing..

buzzcop63
06-06-2014, 09:22 PM
When the toilet hole is open and the fan is running you are pulling air through the Black tank vent up through the toilet into the bathroom. We all have learned the hard way to turn off the fan, flush the toilet and turn the fan back on.

therink
06-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Is the toilet bowl seal holding water between uses? If not, the seal may not be sealing well allowing tank vapors to enter the bowl between uses.

Bushey86
06-07-2014, 03:38 AM
The vent fan in the roof? I don't think it's been used since we've had the trailer. The seal seems to hold water fine. It's just when we flush that the smell comes up.:banghead:

Gaffer222
06-07-2014, 03:59 AM
There should be vent pipe from the black tank up through the roof. Pop off the cap and run a snake down to see if it is clogged.

Lawdogs
06-07-2014, 04:41 AM
Don't ya think that snake would get awful mad!!!:p

hankaye
06-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Bushey86, Howdy;

The vent fan in the roof? I don't think it's been used since we've had the trailer. The seal seems to hold water fine. It's just when we flush that the smell comes up.:banghead:

Does it sort of 'burp' and blow a bubble at you when you flush? If so then
the vent is clogged, That's how I judge when the tank needs dumped in mine.

Gaffer222 "There should be vent pipe from the black tank up through the roof.
Pop off the cap and run a snake down to see if it is clogged."

I thought snakes slithered ... difficult to run with no legs ...:rolleyes:

hankaye

f6bits
06-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Yeah, the little vent fan in the ceiling. That's what usually does it. That's an airflow issue with the vent creating a vacuum and pulling air from the toilet while flushing.

Do you have some windows open that could be creating a breeze through the trailer that exits the bathroom ceiling vent?

Then again, it could just be a *really* stinky tank. Do you use lots of water when flushing? More water is better.

GaryWT
06-07-2014, 04:37 PM
We use aqua chem liquid and it works real well.

My guess is the vent is blocked or has slipped down into the tank too far so it is not working correctly.

I use the power rinse only once or twice a year.

Our fan is over the shower and is on during showers and sometimes longer but it is not an issue.

Good luck.

Bushey86
06-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to check the vent. I don't see any other issues. I'll update if I find anything.

f6bits
06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure why the vent would cause a problem. I can see that it's necessary while dumping so as to not to create a vacuum in the tank. Speaking of which, if when dumping the blank tank, it comes gushing out at full speed, then I think the vent is OK.

Bombfixer
06-08-2014, 08:06 AM
After flushing are you making sure you have water in the bowl above the seal? Otherwise the seal can dry out and not work properly. For my toilet, I push the pedal down slightly and it allows water to flow into the bowl without opening the flap at the bottom of the bowl.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

Gaffer222
06-08-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure why the vent would cause a problem. I can see that it's necessary while dumping so as to not to create a vacuum in the tank. Speaking of which, if when dumping the blank tank, it comes gushing out at full speed, then I think the vent is OK.

Let's see: You have a clogged vent on a black tank. The black tank has "stuff" in it the produces gasses that smell. The gasses that smell have no place to go as the vent is clogged. Toilet is flushed and "maybe" the gasses come out the toilet and cause the OP's issue. Just a possibility....... May not be the issue but can't hurt to check...

JRTJH
06-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Let's see: You have a clogged vent on a black tank. The black tank has "stuff" in it the produces gasses that smell. The gasses that smell have no place to go as the vent is clogged. Toilet is flushed and "maybe" the gasses come out the toilet and cause the OP's issue. Just a possibility....... May not be the issue but can't hurt to check...

If you pull the handle on the black tank and it empties normally, the black tank roof vent is working. If it were plugged, the rush of black tank contents would create a vacuum and the flow would stop. So, if the tank will empty normally, the vent is not plugged. That's what f6bits was saying.

Additionally, if the vent were plugged, when you flush the toilet, it will "burp" or "gurgle" rather than flush normally. It's pretty obvious when the vent is plugged, even a "novice" can tell the difference in how the toilet flushes and how the black tank empties. If those two features are working normally, the black tank roof vent is OK.

I'd suggest that either there's a vent fan running somewhere in the RV or there's a window (s) open creating a cross-draft that pulls the gasses (and odor) up through the open toilet causing the smell.

ctpd814
06-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I see that you add your chemical when you leave the campground after cleaning the tank. I am not sure what type of chemical you use but read the back of the package. Many of them say that they work for 7 days. If it is longer than 7 days, it will not work as well. I have had an issue before. I now make sure that it does not set more than 7 days and have had no more problems.

Ram189
06-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Are you camping at a campground or dry camping??

Why wouldn't you let the tank drain all the time?? Leave the valve open while at a campground.

JRTJH
06-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Why wouldn't you let the tank drain all the time?? Leave the valve open while at a campground.

If you leave the valve open, you will build a "pyramid" of toilet paper and solid "goo" under the toilet. That will build up in the black tank, solidify and create a problem that is extremely difficult to flush. There are numerous threads on this and all other RV forums warning NOT to leave the black tank valve open when using the toilet. The solids must remain suspended in fluids while in the tank. Leaving the valve open allows all the fluid to "seep out" leaving only the solid waste which will plug the black tank drain causing a stopped up black tank.

NEVER leave the valve open when using the toilet !!!!!

GaryWT
06-08-2014, 07:00 PM

I will second that this is a bad idea. You will soon lose the use of the black tank as it will be a solid mess and difficult to fix.

bobbecky
06-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Agree, the black tank valve should only be opened to drain the tank, closed the rest of the time. As far as the gray/galley tanks, I know many people leave the valves open most of the time, and only close them a day or so prior to dumping the black tank. But this was brought to my attention some time back, if you have the drain hose hooked up, with any valve left open, your rig is now a vent for the entire RV park sewer system, and I have noticed smells while walking around parks, and it was probably coming from open valves. Your gray tank, when empty, has no trap to stop gas like a trap under a sink, so sewer gas from the park just escapes the park system through your tank's vent at the roof.

Javi
06-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Agree, the black tank valve should only be opened to drain the tank, closed the rest of the time. As far as the gray/galley tanks, I know many people leave the valves open most of the time, and only close them a day or so prior to dumping the black tank. But this was brought to my attention some time back, if you have the drain hose hooked up, with any valve left open, your rig is now a vent for the entire RV park sewer system, and I have noticed smells while walking around parks, and it was probably coming from open valves. Your gray tank, when empty, has no trap to stop gas like a trap under a sink, so sewer gas from the park just escapes the park system through your tank's vent at the roof.
yep, I've smelled the same thing. [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31] I leave the hose hooked up but dump as needed, it only take a couple of minutes and smells much better.

jsmith948
06-09-2014, 05:01 AM
As was posted earlier, do a forum search. There have been numerous threads about RV sewer systems. We use Downy fabric softener in the black tank (learned about it here on the forum) and have had good luck. Makes the sides of your tank slick for ease of dumping and the fragrance works to help with the odor.

LM3929
06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I had the same smell in our toilet and decided to change the vent cap to a cyclone type and discovered that where the rubber roof had been cut to let the stack pipe thru, the rubber was cut too wide and where the pipe came thru the roof the hole there was an elongated hole right into wall.

So when the stack was venting it came back into the bathroom thru the hole in the roof.

I sealed the hole and rubber roof and now there is no smell.

Lorne M.

dirtymutt
06-17-2014, 07:59 PM
We had a rancid smell from our toilet also. It was as simple as switching back to Campa Chem and problem solved. Trailer came with a different brand chemical and it just didn't work. Start with the simple stuff and change toilet chemicals.

davidcyndi
06-18-2014, 05:54 AM
1 cup of downey everytime I clean out the tank. no problems ever after I started doing this.

DMK
06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I added Xtreme vents to both my black & gray water vents on top of my RV I haven't use chemicals since the install and have been very satisfied. :D

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/xtreme-plumbing-vents.htm

vetorio
07-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Dometic had some defective 300 series toilets,with a loose joint between the upper and lower sections. They replaced mine for free,they said they not repairable. this was on a new cougar xlite. Search the forum for more info. Don't call Dometic, Call their manufacturer,I THINK it was seafoam in Ohio.

monica4patience
07-01-2014, 08:35 AM
We moved up to a trailer from a pop-up, so never had toilet issues. By the 3rd summer in our trailer, I finally figured out what was causing the odor to sneak out....we were holding the foot pedal down too long! Once we started doing a quick step and flush, the odor wasn't a problem. Simple solution for us!

djkrs2
07-05-2014, 10:36 PM
We also have a black tank related problem but the smell seems to be coming from under the sink. There is a valve that has something to do with the built in black tank cleaning system and I believe the smell is coming from that vent. When we open the vanity under the bathroom sink the smell is much stronger than when it's closed. Has anyone had this issue and if so, what can be done about it?

jsmith948
07-06-2014, 03:19 AM
If you think that the vacuum breaker for the tank flush is the culprit, you could try replacing it. I read so many posts about the things leaking and flooding the trailer that I removed ours. If you do a forum search, you will find several posts about members having changed and/or removed the breaker from their system. Now I just use an anti-siphon valve at the hose connection.

djkrs2
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Yes, the vacuum breaker. I always forget the name. We've already replaced it once because it DID start to flood the trailer when it got stuck or frozen or somehow broken. Luckily my wife was inside so a minimum amount of water got into the coach. What is it's purpose other than to let stink in? I have an anti-siphon valve on the whole side of the Y that I install at the faucet for the black water stuff. I think I'd like to remove it.

Thanks

curlyfungirl
07-11-2014, 04:28 AM
Have you hooked up a clear sewer connector to your sewer pipe? You would be shocked at what comes out of a "clean" black tank. We put on one this weekend and were totally shocked. We filled the black tank three times with fresh water before things starting coming out clear.

tech740
07-12-2014, 12:30 PM
So does it have to be Downey or just fabric softener in general.

Javi
07-12-2014, 01:27 PM
So does it have to be Downey or just fabric softener in general.

Calgon water softener, a dish soap like Ivory or Palmolive, liquid Downey or pretty much anything that will break the surface tension of the water (soften) and allow stuff to be slick. I use plain old liquid dish soap.

tech740
07-12-2014, 02:44 PM
How much dish soap do you use? Just curiouse. Are you using that and a chemical tratment?

Javi
07-12-2014, 04:47 PM
How much dish soap do you use? Just curiouse. Are you using that and a chemical tratment?

Just the dish soap although sometimes the DW buys the lemon scented kind. All three of my waste tanks are 30 gallons and after I dump before leaving the campground; I will pour a couple or three capfuls of the detergent de' jour add about 5 gallons of water to each tank for the ride home.

After we get home and I get the opportunity I will fill and dump all the tanks a couple of times then thoroughly flush the black tank.

I have never had a smelly tank and I never use anything but the dish soap.

sbmarks3
07-12-2014, 07:31 PM
I agree with Gaff, I had the same problem with the smell. I went on the roof pulled the cap off the vent pipe to find it was totally plugged by mud dobbers (wasps). I took a stick and knocked them down into the black tank, problem solved.

Scalemaster
07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
We had the same issue with our first (Jayco) trailer. After some time I removed the caps on the roof vents and found the abs pipe was cut so long it was pushed into the cap and made an airtight seal. Cut the pipe off by 1/2 inch and installed the caps, worked fine.

mikell
07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Fabric softener works great we just buy the dollar store cheap stuff that smells strong and good. Try to figure out how much water your sewer line uses between the drain valve and the tank. Get that filled with water before adding the softener .We dump and add water when we arrive at the new site so everything has a chance to slosh around and breakup before dumping

lablum
09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
I do the "Geo Method" every time I empty my black tank. Google "Geo Method" and give it a try. You have to do it every time you dump though. It contains Calgon water softner (so solids and toilet paper doesn't stick to the tank, bleach (to disinfect) and laundry detergent (I buy the cheapest kind with the strongest scent). Another good idea to clean your tank and sides is when you dump and are getting ready to head home, fill the tank with some water and throw in a bunch of ice cubes for the ride home. The bouncing around will help to clean the black tank and won't damage it. We only do the Geo Method for the black tank but I'm sure you could do it for every tank. We use Calgon water softner but it is hard to find and not cheap, I don't see why you can't use fabric softner though, I would think it is the same concept..

golfpro
10-02-2014, 11:57 AM
all this info on turning off the fan when flushing is not really necessary. I use a product you can buy on line. it is called Happy Camper. I have used about every thing on the shelves for the toilet and this Happy Camper stuff works as advertised. I wasted a lot of money on chemicals and am glad I found the one thing that works. just put in a small measuring cup of the product , some water and walk away. it does it's job and does it well.