PDA

View Full Version : Log home maintenance

Devildogmom
06-02-2014, 07:33 PM
We are considering building a log home in East Texas for our winter home.

We have talked to several log home owners about what the cost of maintenance is to the home, which has to be done every seven or eight years.

If any of you on this forum own a log home, I would appreciate hearing from you about the maintenance cost.

Thanks for your help.

bg71361
06-03-2014, 03:55 AM
Are you going to go Cedar? A friend who built a very nice log home said he wished he spent the extra up front because he is paying it now in up keep.

Road-King
06-03-2014, 04:33 AM
My SIL and Husband have one in North GA. They have a hell of a time with carpenter bees. Even with the stain that is supposed to keep them away. Don't know if you would have the same problem in TX.

Devildogmom
06-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Are you going to go Cedar? A friend who built a very nice log home said he wished he spent the extra up front because he is paying it now in up keep.

Are you talking about cedar logs or siding?

bg71361
06-03-2014, 04:57 AM
You stated log home so I assume a "log home" not siding. But either way Cedar is long lasting and turns a nice gray with time.

allmi01
06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I have a northern white cedar home and it needs to be stained about every 5 years or so depending on how much bad weather beats it. Too much sun and rain / snow can take its toll.

Cedar does weather a nice grey color but if you start seeing black areas, that is bad. Mildew starting and once started you need to treat ASAP.

I love mine house and its doing well after 19 years in the midwest weather. In Texas, just make sure whatever wood they use is not something carpenter or fire ants like. That is the best reason to stain and treat for pests.

Mike

gearhead
06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I would think long and hard about it. I have heard anywhere south of Dallas you will have issues. High humidity and log homes don't seem to mix. I have a good friend that has one just out of Houston and he has big mildew issues on the exterior. Especially the north side in winter.
I would just do HardiPlank. No maintenance.

mikell
06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
I've had 4 but getting too old and lazy for the maintance. Big logs collect dust and have to be wiped or washed inside and out. Sealant of some kind depending on where you live.

That said I had visions of a log castle in an area where we just got back from.

Dang it I could nearly see it. Going to make an offer on the land this week.