PDA

View Full Version : Face plate for kitchen outlet fell off

AlbertaRvMan
06-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi,

On our first trip out, the faceplate that attaches to the kitchen outlet has detached. The outlet is facing down (it's at the bottom of the cupboard)

It appears there are no screw holes, and the faceplate simply snaps / locks into the outlet. The outlet is now dangling below the cupboard unless i position it just slightly over the cut out on the cupboard.

My question is, how do I reattach the faceplate to the cupboard? I need to apply downward pressure on the outlet, while applying upward pressure on the face plate.

This is all covered under warranty, but I don't want to drive 3 hours for this.

Thanks.

therink
06-01-2014, 03:20 PM
I am not sure, but as long as the plastic outlet box/cover didn't crack it should snap back together.
I don't even use that outlet just because it is not in a convenient location. In my current and last rig, I mounted a power strip on the wall where it meets the kitchen counter and ran power cord with cable mounts to the nearest outlet. This set up for me is much better. The manufacturers don't can't put an outlet box on a side wall, hence why they put them under the over head cabinet.

Bob Landry
06-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I used mine once and the cord hanging down was a PITA. I ran a romex from a GFCI protected outlet and installed a standard outlet at the end of the cabinet.

jsmith948
06-02-2014, 05:24 AM
You shouldn't have to apply downward pressure on the outlet box. The box should have 'tabs' that tighten up behind the luan cabinet panel. Similar to how an 'old work' outlet box clamps behind the drywall of a house. Shut the power off and loosen the screws on the box, then, look for the two plastic tabs. If the tabs aren't broken, position the box and tighten the screws. The tabs should rotate 90 degrees and, as you tighten the screws, clamp the box into place.
The face plate, as mentioned earlier, just snaps onto the box. Unless something is broken.

AlbertaRvMan
06-02-2014, 06:19 AM
You shouldn't have to apply downward pressure on the outlet box. The box should have 'tabs' that tighten up behind the luan cabinet panel. Similar to how an 'old work' outlet box clamps behind the drywall of a house. Shut the power off and loosen the screws on the box, then, look for the two plastic tabs. If the tabs aren't broken, position the box and tighten the screws. The tabs should rotate 90 degrees and, as you tighten the screws, clamp the box into place.
The face plate, as mentioned earlier, just snaps onto the box. Unless something is broken.

Thanks, I will give this a look/ try when I go to the trailer in a week or so.