PDA

View Full Version : convert w/d closet to half-bath?

mrpinky
05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to RVing in general. We've been looking at FW bunkhouse floor plans and so far, have not been able find the one that is "just right." We have 2 kids and really think an extra bath or half-bath would be useful, but DW is a bit concerned about having the extra bath with a door to the outside virtually connecting to the kids' bunk area.

I ran across the Sprinter 324FWBHS floor plan recently which has a fairly large washer/dryer/storage closet off the kitchen. Size-wise, it seems in line with half-bath's that we've seen.

Question for the experts: could we convert that W/D hookup to a vanity and also add a toilet? As I understand it, this FW has a 3rd gray tank for the outside kitchen and W/D. Would it be possible to re-purpose that 3rd tank as a black tank, fed by toilet, vanity, and outside kitchen (I don't see us needing to use the outside kitchen for dishes and the kids already do a good job conserving water when brushing their teeth, etc.)

If not re-purpose the gray tank, would there be room under there to add a separate black tank?

I'm handy, but new to RVs, and don't have any experience with how tight it might be to work in/under the area, so please be honest if this is crazy talk and that we should focus on other floor plans.

We've also considered the 343FWBHS, but we prefer the U-shaped dinette and also would like an east-west bed in the master. Have also considered a Prime Time Crusader 360BHS, but it's a bit heavier and a bit longer. We'll be pulling with an F350 SRW, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about weight, but if nothing else, I should have an easier ride and get better mileage with something lighter.

therink
05-30-2014, 09:37 AM
In my opinion, that is lot of modification and work to add toilet waste pipe to the tank. I also thinking that that 3rd gray tank has a 1.5" drain pipe and a 3 inch is required for toilet waste. Not to mention you would need to drop the gray tank to modify it, cut hole in floor, etc.
An outside door is not a bad thing and I am sure that you could pit a kid proof lock on it if needed until they are older.

GaryWT
05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
I agree that the piping would need to be changed and I have no idea about the room. We love our outside door to the bathroom, it is very handy when out at the fire etc. I know a lot of people like the U shaped dining area but check the table size, a lot of them are smaller than the normal table. You can sit more than four but sometimes there is only space for 2 or 3 dishes etc. good luck and welcome to the forum.

mrpinky
05-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies! This is exactly what I was looking for -- I'm certainly not looking for a major project.

The search for the "right" floor plan continues...

Festus2
05-30-2014, 11:02 AM
mrpinky -
Steve, one of our members, recently converted his flush toilet to a composting one and apparently this conversion is working very well for him.
If you were to do something similar in the W/D area, there would be no need to add an extra black tank and do the additional plumbing to make it work.

Try doing a forum search --( composting toilet),,,, look up posts by Steve, and you should find further info about his conversion. It will be in the Modification and Upgrades section of the forum.

Can't remember the cost involved but it wasn't overly cheap but probably not much difference in the modification you are considering.