PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Hot Water Heater question

xnman
05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
My trailer is a 2013 Keystone, Alpine 3555 RL. It has a Suburban hot water heater... .I believe to be a 12 gallon.
I did not get a book for the hot water heater when I bought the trailer. I didn't think to ask about it.

But.... . outside in the tank box...there is a switch for on and off.
Inside in the panel is another switch to turn hot water on.

I think the switch outside in the box... is for electric run of the hot water.
I think also the switch inside is for turning the propane hot water on.

Am I correct?
Thanks

therink
05-29-2014, 04:43 PM
The rocker switch outside is for electric heat (you are correct). There should also be two switches inside, one for electric and the other for propane. There also should be a dedicated 115v breaker on the circuit panel for electric water heater.
All 3 have to be on to turn on the electronic heating element and must be hooked to shore power. Make sure all 3 are turned off when you drain the water heater so you don't burn out the electronic heating element.
Steve

tdawg
05-29-2014, 06:48 PM
My 2013 Alpine has rocker switch outside for electric and 1 switch inside for gas no switch inside for electric operation. I use breaker inside to control electric operation

LZScout
05-29-2014, 07:48 PM
My 2013 Alpine is the same as Tdawg's. Electric switch outside and Propane inside. I was told the electric has priority and the propane kicks in for fast recovery.

LZScout

xnman
05-30-2014, 05:16 AM
My 2013 Keystone Alpine seems to be like tdawgs also.

I have one switch outside....and one switch inside.
And I understand the switch outside is for electric and shore power and the one inside is for propane.

Ok now .... if both switches are on.... how does the water heater operate?
Does it operate on electric... and then kicks in with propane on big demands?

And.... how do you guys run... when parked on shore power....
do you have both switches on? or just electric on?

Thanks for your help.

jsmith948
05-30-2014, 05:27 AM
The gas side of your WH does not automatically kick in when there is a higher demand. You can run both the 120v and the gas at the same time in order to get a faster recovery, however, you have to turn the gas side on manually. We run ours on gas only. Saves the hassle of going outside and messing with the rocker switch and cotter pin. Just me:)

Kristi
05-30-2014, 06:14 AM
My 2013 Keystone Alpine seems to be like tdawgs also.

I have one switch outside....and one switch inside.
And I understand the switch outside is for electric and shore power and the one inside is for propane.

Ok now .... if both switches are on.... how does the water heater operate?
Does it operate on electric... and then kicks in with propane on big demands?

And.... how do you guys run... when parked on shore power....
do you have both switches on? or just electric on?

Thanks for your help.

If we are at a 50 amp site, we run it on electric. If only 30 amp is available then LP.

Festus2
05-30-2014, 06:28 AM
xnman -
I think you will find that the majority of people use the electrical side of the HW heater when 110V is available - regardless of whether or not it is 50A or 30A . While heating with electricity, some will turn on the propane for a quicker recovery to speed up the heating process; when showering for example.
Depending upon your unit, you may or may not have:
1) an exterior electrical rocker switch to turn the 110VAC on and off
2) a single interior one for 110VAC and another separate interior one for gas - the ideal set up.
3) just one interior switch for gas - this is fairly common.

To avoid the nuisance of having to run outside and turn on the 110CAC at the tank, some have installed an interior switch or flip the breaker at the panel.

And to repeat what has already been said.....gas mode does not automatically kick in depending upon demand - it's all done manually.

xnman
05-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey... Thanks for all your replies.
I leaned something because of all this.

Thanks again.

tdawg
05-31-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't use rocker switch I leave it on and use breaker to control water heater