PDA

View Full Version : My black tank meter does not read.

trackstand
05-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Any ideas before I drag it back to the dealer?

Thanks

J&A
05-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi Trackstand,

Do a quick search on the topic. There are several threads on the subject that can help you troubleshoot the problem and potentially fix it.

Are you getting any readings at all?

bmach
05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
How long can you trackstand? I'm just working on mine.

trackstand
05-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi Trackstand,

Do a quick search on the topic. There are several threads on the subject that can help you troubleshoot the problem and potentially fix it.

Are you getting any readings at all?

Yep! other three are fine.

hankaye
05-27-2014, 06:27 AM
trackstand, Howdy;

I didn't teach my black tank gauge to read ... figured if it stayed
ignorant it would be easier to work with ...
So, I listen to it, when the sound becomes urgent, I dump the contents
and wait for the tone to change ...

hankaye

trackstand
05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
trackstand, Howdy;

I didn't teach my black tank gauge to read ... figured if it stayed
ignorant it would be easier to work with ...
So, I listen to it, when the sound becomes urgent, I dump the contents
and wait for the tone to change ...

hankaye

I sure hope You have a day job.

GaryWT
05-27-2014, 12:01 PM
So if all other gauges are working then there is probably either a loose wire or a bad board. If it is just reading incorrectly then this is normal and we all get use to it. After awhile you will learn when the tank needs to be emptied. Can be by time, sight or the toilet burping at you when flushed.

therink
05-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Before I took it to the dealer, I would remove the control panel and move the black tank sensor wires to a gauge from a gray tank and test. This way you could determine if it is a bad gauge or wiring/tank sensor issue. I find it easier to diagnose the problem and then tell dealer what needs fixing. I don't even use the black tank gauge because it isn't accurate anyway.

trackstand
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
So if all other gauges are working then there is probably either a loose wire or a bad board. If it is just reading incorrectly then this is normal and we all get use to it. After awhile you will learn when the tank needs to be emptied. Can be by time, sight or the toilet burping at you when flushed.

Unacceptable on a 2014 $32000 camper.....:(

trackstand
05-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Before I took it to the dealer, I would remove the control panel and move the black tank sensor wires to a gauge from a gray tank and test. This way you could determine if it is a bad gauge or wiring/tank sensor issue. I find it easier to diagnose the problem and then tell dealer what needs fixing. I don't even use the black tank gauge because it isn't accurate anyway.

Good call. spoke with the dealer today and they asked Me to pull it with 5 gallons of clean water and a 10 pound bag of ice dumped in. We will see what happens this weekend. :cool:

GaryWT
05-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Unacceptable on a 2014 $32000 camper.....:(

We all spend a lot for our trailers. You did not answer my question. If it is not working at all it is a wire or the panel. If it is working but not reading then the sensor is covered with tp or crud. You can clean out the tank and the sensor will work for a trip or two and then be covered again. The sensors are the same basic set up in all trailers.

hankaye
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
trackstand, Howdy;

I sure hope You have a day job.

Nope ... no day job, retired a few years ago "bouncey:

hankaye

RGene7001
05-27-2014, 07:26 PM
My gauge stopped working long time ago, all problems are due to hard stuff getting stuck on the electrodes and giving false reading. Going back to the dealer is pointless, in my opinion. The problem will return after a few flushes. I know that for 3 occupants I have to empty the tank every 5-7 days. So far- no overfilling accidents:eek:

Festus2
05-27-2014, 09:42 PM
trackstand -
Readings from the black tank have always been known for being inaccurate. They often start out giving true readings but soon develop a "mind of their own". Most folks spend a considerable amount of time and effort in keeping their black tank as clean as possible and; despite their efforts, the sensor and reading doesn't reflect what is actually in the tank. It could be, for example, "squeaky clean" and have a couple of gallons of fresh water in it, but still shows 2/3 full.

At first, people find it frustrating and ask the same question as you but soon learn to live with the fact that it's just the way it is - regardless of how much money you paid for your RV.

All sorts of devices and "tricks" like travelling with ice cubes in the tank have been tried over the years to have the reading accurately reflect what is in the tank. Almost all have failed --- the tank may be clean and empty - but the reading doesn't show that.

In the end, it's not worth getting too excited and; like many of us, have learned to rely on other, less sophisticated methods of figuring out when the tank is nearing full and it's "time to dump".

golfpro
05-27-2014, 10:32 PM
most of the time it is toilet paper stuck to the sensors that make it not read. clean you tank.

schrod
06-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Yes, very first thing they will have you do is try the water and ice slosh method. However, I have found that these things are not what they are hyped to be. These gauges are only vaguely accurate and are really a joke and wall decoration at best. I think the design is good but the installation at Keystone is the crapper. Their quality control has severely gone down hill since my 2006 model. It still had real wood door frames and real wood doors on the bedroom and bathroom. My 2013 now has the imitation paper covered stuff like the assemble yourself furniture is made from. This is my last Keystone.

Ken / Claudia
06-07-2014, 09:42 PM
My 2002 Artic fox, if purchased today would be about 18,000. more than I spend on the keystone trailer I now have and the black tank gauge worked just like this one. It is empty and shows 1/3, 2/3 full etc. If I clean it real good it usally shows correct, but, not always.

robo
06-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Well the info that has been posted as u can see it is just a point of aggravation if it "needs" to work then take it back we all here in the community have grown accustom to the shotty workmanship. That is why we have the mods section of the forum(tx)