PDA

View Full Version : Full spare

siberian
05-26-2014, 04:20 PM
In order to get better mileage, VW back in 08 started selling Touaregs with an inflatable doughnut. (now they just sell you "run flats"...) An absolute idiocy as the tire can never be re-used once inflated. As to once it's inflated it's barely good for a few miles or yards up where I live. I thus bought a spare tire carrier and hang a full spare on it.

HOWEVER, once I start towing... you got it.

I thus designed some stuff that allows me to slide out the vertical part with the tire and clamp it on the back bumper of the trailer further alleviating 75 pounds from the tongue weight.

I've also designed a propane carrier I use to refill my 100 pound home tank since I can't legally put that inside the car.

Here are some pics

siberian

Festus2
05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
A nice mod but you might want to keep an eye on your bumper with two spares on it. If yours is like most RV bumpers it is pretty flimsy and because of the rough, bumpy roads in your area, the weight of two spares bouncing up and down could create quite a bit of stress. I'd be checking the welds on a regular basis to make sure they are still "good".

siberian
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Did a stress test before - had two people jump up and down on it after having checked the welds.

But thanks for pointing it out though!

siberian