PDA

View Full Version : Which Hitch hole to use?

Retired_Jim
12-11-2010, 07:37 PM
My Reese Hitch with dual cams has a choice of two holes to use when inserting the pin into the receiver. What are the advantages or disadvantages to having the hitch closer to the Tow vehicle or further away. My Yukon XL rear door clears with either hole in use. Does the towing weight dictate which hole to use?

Handysam
12-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Jim, I had the same set up on my TT. I always used the last hole, or the one closest to the end towards the ball. I figured it would give my hitch more stability, the more in the receiver it was. Happy Camping, Sam.

ktmracer
12-24-2010, 09:35 PM
The reese stinger has a derated load carrying capacity if it isn't all the way in. IIRC on mine the max tongue weight is 1500lbs all the way in and 1000lbs or less in the out position. that answers the question for me since I'm at 1250lbs on the tongue. Check your stinger, it should give the max towing and max tongue weight allowed in each position.

cumminsdad08
07-10-2011, 12:23 PM
has anyone an answer to the advantge on using one hole over the other, other then the obvious with tounge weight.

therink
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
The closer the ball is to the tow vehicle, the more stable the hitch is in proportion to the TV. When I towed my old tt, I always used the hole closer to the ball.
Steve

cumminsdad08
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
this is what i figured would be a good idea, but then why put a second hole, this is what i can't really figure out. is it to help wih backing it in to tight areas?, OR is it to compensate for different receiver set ups. just dont make much sense to me, to put a hole when you firugre the most people would use the one closer to the ball.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry, I can't read this thread without some serious laughter. Am I twisted or what?!?!?

cumminsdad08
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
i don't really see anything funny to laugh at here. it is just an honest question. i was just trying to figure out what the advantages on having a second hole in the hitch was for. this hitch set up wasn't really explained to me, other then hook chain here and pull it to here. i have figured the rest of it out on my own, but i can't find an answer anywhere on this "useless" hole.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi cumminsdad08, oh it has nothing to do with the question, perfectly good question. It is all the discussion of holes, backing it in, balls ... my mind is just in the wrong place. Too long living alone in a RV! Sorry!

Bob Landry
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
The hole closest to the ball gives a rating of 1200lbs. The other one gives a 1000lb rating. I read it in some Reese documentation somewhere, I just don't remember exactly where it was.

DTJ9610
07-13-2011, 05:02 AM
Finally a meaningful answer as to the difference between holes.... :rofl:
In all honesty I had wondered what the difference was too.

Thank you Bob, and as for you M.B.D... you are a twisted lad... I like it. I was thinking the same thing.

hankaye
07-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Howdy All;

I figure that it's some sort of a gimmic (sp?), also, I think that it one of those cases of less (2ed. hole ='s less material), costs ya more.
Like Ladies Lingerie, the less there is of it the more it costs us guys :rolleyes:

hank

cumminsdad08
07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
ok i now got you figured out M.B.D. i tend to spend a little to much time with the kids and tend to forget the "many meanings" of things. takes me back to high school (AND WE DON'T WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN)."bouncey:

Shawfamily
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
When I bought my wt dist hitch a few years back, the van we used had the spare mounted on the rear door. The sales people told os we needed that long shank to clear the tire. The van we have now has an under mount spare, but I still use to far hole so I can open the back door without unhooking. Just think of it as a lever, with your rear axle as the pivot point. The further out you move it, the lighter your front axle gets, which then means you need to take an extra link or two on the chains to put that wt back up front.

cumminsdad08
08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
ah ha, that is the kind of answer i was looking for. thanks much that does make sense to me.