PDA

View Full Version : Power to Brake Away Switch

LZScout
05-25-2014, 07:18 AM
I've been looking for a definitive answer as to whether the "break-away" brake controller is powered on Keystone 5th wheels if the the factory supplied battery cutoff is in the "off" position. My dealer said it has to be turned on. Is there a list of items somewhere that shows the items left live in the off position?

LZScout

therink
05-25-2014, 08:02 AM
I could be wrong but I believe that the electronic brakes operate on independent circuit from the factory battery cutoff switch.
An easy way to confirm: unplug trailer from tow vehicle and unplug 115v trailer power cord and place battery cut off switch in the off position. Next remove/pull out the emergency brake away cable at the pin. If the brakes still have power, they will engage and you should be able to hear a slight humming coming from the hubs. You could also place a compass near a brake hub and the compass will move while removing the breakaway switch.

Butch Fuzion
06-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Definitely does on my Fuzion. If you are hooked up just pull the pin and try to move. With mine (3 axles) you aint going nowhere if it engages.

Pmedic4
06-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Our Cougar has the power still to the brakes with the cut-off switch off, but then again there is still power to the Landing gear and slides with the Cut-off switch in the off position. (BTW - that is also sort of a issue to some people, because they expect with the Cut-off switch off there wouldn't be any power to the anything :cool:).

However, you would expect there to be power to the break-away switch, because sadly I could see someone leaving the cut-off switch off and forgetting to turn it on when towing. :eek: As we all know, when we're hooked up to the TV, the break-away would have power, but if the trailer comes loose, well sh*t!

Question, while fortunately I have never experienced that situation I wonder if anyone else has? I might post this as a general question!

Bob Landry
06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
The break-away switch is connected directly to the battery. if it is not, then it should be. You don't know if you are always going to tow with the battery switch on.

WaltBennett
06-03-2014, 05:52 AM
The switch is normally held open by the little plastic insert with a cable. There's no power drained from the battery by it UNLESS you pull the plastic insert out (or there's a shorted wire somewhere, but that's another story). There's several other things usually hooked straight to the battery like gas and other powered detectors and possibly your landing gear.

I've heard of several people who inadvertently pulled the insert and didn't realize it. Even dual batteries will drain dead in just a day or two from this.

RichR
06-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Leaving the breakaway switch on will not only drain the batteries, it can also burn out the brake magnets.

Platinum 6.7
06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
I have pulled mine with battery disconnect on and off without issue. I was told from dealer that the break away receives power from both tow vehicle or from on board battery so either way mine works. FZ390

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

accordionman
06-09-2014, 11:51 AM
we have some conflicting issues I think . just had my 5th wheel to the dealer for a little warranty work . did not have my power switch turned on . the tech needed some battery power for something and the switch was off . he turned it on and then told me whenever you are towing switch must be turned on for the breakaway cable to work and also to help charge your battery . the slides and landing gear do work with the switch in the off position on my unit.

2013 269FWRET Copper Canyon by Sprinter
2013 Ram 2500 HD hemi

Bob Landry
06-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Delete Post

Bob Landry
06-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Another clueless tech. The breakaway switch is connected directly to the battery. How else would it get power if the trailer separates from the TV? The TV is supplying charge voltage to he battery when towing, but in a separation, that goes away.