PDA

View Full Version : (Real) Range Hood Exhaust Vent Install

srvnt
05-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Got around to doing what the manufacturer should have done. Converted the ductless exhaust to ducted. This is probably a safety issue that should be addressed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or whoever to push for a resolution. These are super cheesy hoods and you can buy one ducted, or pay a dealer to install one, or mod the one you have. Mine now works way better than OEM anyways :).

Sealed all cracks and openings and the light compartment

Can't really see this vent it I'm but going to touch up paint it also

Used this vent from home depot, you could use a 2 piece duct but this is aluminum and super easy to work with and mod-
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-3-25-in-x-10-in-Rectangular-Aluminum-Hood-with-Back-Draft-Flapper-11-in-Aluminum-Tail-Pipe-EX-HRA-310/202907385
After removing the damper and spring from the duct, i cut off the scoop then bent the top flange of the ducting down flush with the hood. The scoop can also be removed by hammering the dimples (that hold it together) flat and pull it out between the folds of the flange . Not as hard as it sounds. Don't forget to seal and caulk the outside vent louver/cover.

Stublejumper
05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Nice mod. I would like to do as well but the really smart people at keystone installed the awning support in the way!

GaryWT
05-19-2014, 07:34 PM
I real don't see the issue but we cook outside. If we could inside we might have an issue. My house is the same way but bigger space so again, no issue.

It looks good though, nice job.

srvnt
05-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Stublejumper- Where there's a way theres a will!:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-3-25-in-x-10-in-x-6-in-Galvanized-Sheet-Metal-Range-Hood-End-Boot-Adapter-SM-RH3106-EB/202907194

GaryWT-
Our old trailer vented outside so we probably got spoiled.
Cooking without a vent inside sets of the fire alarm, heats the inside which is not good in summer, makes it "stuffy" and does not vent burned gas etc.
With a vent , no piercing shrill from an alarm, no smoke, or excess heat, all in the comfort of our new home away from home. Sometimes it's to cold for even me to cook outside :)
I must admit it didn't feel right cutting a 3 x 10 hole in the side of a new trailer! :eek:
Our house range is also vented.

WaltBennett
05-20-2014, 03:32 AM
Like your install, but isn't that cloth 'duck' tape and not the metal kind - the real duct tape? If that spot doesn't get hot from the microwave, it shouldn't matter I guess.

crohill
05-20-2014, 07:51 AM
GREAT MOD! I am going to be doing that one after this weekend..we got a 4 day trip coming up and I don't have time this week.

Question.....

How did you know you were cutting the wall between two framing posts...is there a good way to test..or did you just dive in?

thanks a bunch for this post!

BirchyBoy
05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Good mod. Same question as above - how did you know where you could cut.

Not sure where the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration fits in, but good luck if you start making a claim.

srvnt
05-20-2014, 06:06 PM
WaltBennett- Yes just cheap duct tape. I laid it in the light compartment just for backing to hold the high temp silicone that I used to seal large gaps leading to the fan compartment. The hood doesn't ever get that hot because the hood is separated from the microwave by a 1 inch air gap and a thick wood shelf on top and the bottom just recieves radiant heat. I used aluminum strips to cover the large vents on the side of the fan housing, it's basically just like OEM but sealed better. Super air flow keeps everything cool, this mod really sucks AND blows!

crohill and BirchyBoy-
You can use a good stud finder, or look on the outside in the morning and you can see the condensate where the aluminum framing is. I guess you could drill very small holes every inch or so about 3/8" deep to go just past the 1/4" plywood stuff across the area to be positive, as you can not see that area and repair would be simple if you hit a stud. I was gunna slot the vent if I had to (which I haven't heard of being done but would work fine, you would just have a small tube in the way of the airflow which would not matter at all). Some even cut the stud if they hit one anyways (don't know what model that was but that wouldn't bother me either). Some models have a window there but some have ducted around it. I believe crohill's TT (very similar to my kitchen setup) and BirchyBoy's TT were originally designed for a vent but Keystone cheaped out. The outer wall studs are aluminum tubing (frame) and interior wall studs are wood. I found the small vertical wood stud for our bedroom TV install by tapping on the wall, then pinpointing the location with a stud finder. Those studs are so small you must reinforce the tv mounting area with something like a 12"x12"x1/2" plywood sheet glued and screwed to the wall and stud, then install tv mount to that. Hope that helps.

crohill
05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Seems like the dew test is the way to go...thanks so much for the response...not looking forward to cutting holes in a new camper..but this mod just has to get done.

Happy Camping my friend!

CUFFS054
05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
SR, did you use the original motor/blower or did you go with the computer fan idea? Mine came ducked AS THEY ALL SHOULD but it is painfully loud.

srvnt
05-22-2014, 08:19 AM
I used the original fan motor, and they are loud, but it seems much quieter maybe because it's sealed up better and or vented now. Don't know if a computer fans cfm would be enough but they are quieter.

CUFFS054
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
SR, the idea came from another forum. Poster says it blows hard enough to push damper all the way open. If I ever see my TT again I'm going to look at possibility.

muddynoll
06-01-2014, 03:44 AM
I just got the duct work yesterday. I'm going to do this mod before our next trip.

Hexnut
06-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Looks like you had a good solution to the same problem I had, however I could not go thru the wall because of outside obstructions. I just removed the worthless hood and put a mirror in its place to cover things up. I also put a mirror along the side of the stove for spatter and the illusion of more space. I had a ceiling vent above the stove so I installed a 12v fan in it, powered by a wire fished from a nearby ceiling light. Crack a window, start the fan...presto...exhaust the way it should be.

rhagfo
06-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I real don't see the issue but we cook outside. If we could inside we might have an issue. My house is the same way but bigger space so again, no issue.

It looks good though, nice job.

The issue is Co2, if it were a stick and bricks house it would have failed inspection, as a gas stove requires venting to outside .

SAD
06-16-2014, 02:54 AM
The issue is Co2, if it were a stick and bricks house it would have failed inspection, as a gas stove requires venting to outside .

The last 3 homes I have owned have had range hood vents that recirculate and do not vent to the outside.

Code (in OK/TX) does not require it to do so.

BulletBuyer
02-02-2021, 09:37 PM
So glad this post is here. Having just bought a 2015 Bullet I was looking for a way to do this! Can't thank you enough guys for all the great info and comments. Will give this a shot this spring!

Mic
02-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Curious

so there was NO . none exhaust to the outside??

or did you improve it???
or seal it better???

or cut a outlet to outside?

cornfused a bit

sorry

cavie
02-11-2021, 01:31 PM
Curious

so there was NO . none exhaust to the outside??

or did you improve it???
or seal it better???

or cut a outlet to outside?

cornfused a bit

sorry

I gonna guess that you don't realize that you asked a question to a 7 year old thread Right?:rolleyes:

Mic
02-16-2021, 09:07 AM
I gonna guess that you don't realize that you asked a question to a 7 year old thread Right?:rolleyes:

There was a 2/3/21 post just prior to mine so it came to top.
:eek: