PDA

View Full Version : Dead Stereo

Jeremym27
05-16-2014, 09:32 AM
So I set up my camper (2012 Passport 3220 BH) for the season and things seem good; except that the radio will not turn on at all. There is no power to it.

There is power to everything else. Now when I set up for the season I accidently connected the positive wire to the negative terminal (and vice versa) and subsequently blew the 40Amp fuses. I replaced and and put the battery on correctly.

Everything else works fine. I checked the fuses and the red light is not on and they all seem fine.

Did I fry my radio? Is there something I can do to get it to work or am I stuck replacing it?

I'm learning my lessons the hard way this year.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

BirchyBoy
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Did you look behind the radio for an inline fuse?

Jeremym27
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Not yet. Any advice for pulling it out? The trim around the radio seems pretty weak and likely to get marred up easily.

BirchyBoy
05-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Sorry, never done it. Just throwing out an idea.

GaryWT
05-16-2014, 10:56 AM
My radio has 4 screws and the whole thing comes out. Check the 12 volt fuses, make sure they are ok.

JRTJH
05-16-2014, 02:14 PM
You should be able to remove the trim bezel with your fingernails. It is held in place with 6 or 8 plastic tabs that only grip very lightly. Once the bezel is removed, there are 4 #2 square drive screws that hold the radio assembly in place. Remove them, pull the radio out and you'll find a red wire with a 3 Amp fuse in an "in line" holder. Replace that fuse and your radio should be "good to go"...

While you've got it out, you might want to look for the black wire that serves as the antenna. It's probably coiled up behind the radio. If you uncoil it and stretch it out as much as you can, possibly even slip it down one of the holes that's been cut out, you'll improve your radio reception.

Good Luck,

BobnLee
05-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Yup done that too. Its always a nice feeling that something you did wrong can be fixed by replacing a fuse instead of replacing the whole radio.

robo
05-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Ya did it too there also may be a blown fuse in the panel look there also

audio1der
05-25-2014, 09:12 PM
This happened to me when I hooked up the batteries backwards last year :o
Ours took only the 4 screws through the front bezel, and there was a "pico fuse" in the rear of the radio.
Lesson; carry extra fuses! (we changed ours at the camp site because I'm a nerdy boy scout :D)