PDA

View Full Version : Which Way ?

rudythegreat
05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
At some point in upper CA. I would like to jump off I5 and travel down 99. Which way would be the fastest and which of the two will be easier on the rig. I have a 2011 Cougar 318SAB 36'. Looks like the 99 will have more fuel opportunities? Advice is good. :confused:

jsmith948
05-14-2014, 05:00 AM
SR 99 from Sacramento to the Grapevine, with the exception of a couple of repaved/reconstructed spots, is very rough. We always take I-5 when going north. We jump on at Harris Ranch (where 198 intersects). I haven't been on 99 north of Sac in years. If I recall, in that area it isn't a freeway, has cross traffic and lights in some of the towns. Yes there are more fuel stops on 99, but there are plenty along I-5 - plus, on I-5 you get to through Santa Nella and can stop at 'Pea Soup Andersens'.
SR 99 and I-5 are only about 4 mi apart in the Stockton area. You can use RT 4, which is stop & go during commute times or a little further south in the Manteca area, you can use RT 120. Caution: the southbound off-ramp from I-5 to Rt 120 has a hairpin at the bottom.