PDA

View Full Version : SS kitchen sink rusting?

PT RV`er
05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
I was curious if anybody else is having a problem with their SS kitchen sink rusting around the drain and in random spots in the tub? This rig is not even a year old and the sink is already looking like crap. Obviously it`s a VERY cheap SS sink or it`s not even a SS sink, but polish steel. I guess I`m going back to the dealer and see about a warranty replacement.

therink
05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend and a green scrub pad? Another thought is the cleaner used for glass top electric stoves?

PT RV`er
05-11-2014, 03:07 PM
I haven`t yet. Thanks Rink, I`ll give it a go.

hankpage
05-11-2014, 08:10 PM
As mentioned Bar Keepers Friend to clean it and a coat of Gel-Gloss polish and it will look like a high end sink. It is stainless ... just not good stainless ... but I don't think you will get anywhere with the dealer or Keystone. Coating the metallic finished plastic faucets once a year with Gel-Gloss will keep them from corroding also.

PT RV`er
05-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Thanks Hank, I`ll look for that as well.

canesfan
05-12-2014, 05:54 AM
As mentioned Bar Keepers Friend to clean it and a coat of Gel-Gloss polish and it will look like a high end sink. It is stainless ... just not good stainless ... but I don't think you will get anywhere with the dealer or Keystone. Coating the metallic finished plastic faucets once a year with Gel-Gloss will keep them from corroding also.
Thanks, didn't know about Gel-Gloss and have had problems before with SS sinks rusting and faucets corroding. I hate these SS sinks, they are far from "stainless" especially with our hard water. I'd love to have another option but will give the Gel-gloss a try.

airforceret
05-12-2014, 07:17 AM
I like my old plastic sink better than this new stainless wannabe sink. I've thought about spraying it with some of that miracle leak fix stuff to coat it that you see in the commercials where he paints a screen in the bottom of the boat and it floats! LOL

canesfan
05-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I liked my old plastic sink better, too. This one WAS supposed to come with something else, not SS, and 60/40. Instead I got a 50/50 SS. Maybe that means 50% stainless and 50% not. :rolleyes: I really wanted the 60/40 too. :(

HappyCamperMN
05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I've always used Bar Keeper's Friend / Comet interchangeably. Assume that transfers to these "stainless" sinks as well.?.?

Campnfireman
05-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey PT I just took my cougar 330rbk in for a final punch list before the warranty expires and this was one of my items. I'll let you know what they say when I hear back. I really don't expect them to replace the sink but we'll see.

PT RV`er
05-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Hey PT I just took my cougar 330rbk in for a final punch list before the warranty expires and this was one of my items. I'll let you know what they say when I hear back. I really don't expect them to replace the sink but we'll see.

Ok great. I have been using a few of the products suggested and it actually cleaned up quite nicely. I think the sink strainer was the item that really started off the rusting process, at least in my sink.

ROLIN JOSEPH
06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Ok, when I read stuff like this I get really upset and sarcastic;

So… The SINK is not really meant for water or it will rust.
The BBQ hose is not really meant to actually reach the BBQ.
The TIRES are not really made for driving on.
The ROOF is not really supposed to be walked on.
The BATTERY SPACE is not really designed for two deep cycle units.
The SLIDEOUT is not to be used when retracted or the floor will be damaged.
The BUMPER is not meant to be bumped against anything nor loaded with anything
And…if a tent is starting to look good, well, they are not really designed for RAIN these days either! :banghead:

Oh, and don't stand in the shower, the floor is not really strong enough to support you. Don't clean it with anything that works either because it's made out of recycled material that might decompose right before your eyes.

PT RV`er
06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
^^^^^^^:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:^^^^^^^

PT RV`er
06-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I did clean my sink with Comet and it clean up like new. I then sprayed Weimen SS polish and it looks great. Only time will tell whether it starts to rust again.

Campnfireman
06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Ok great. I have been using a few of the products suggested and it actually cleaned up quite nicely. I think the sink strainer was the item that really started off the rusting process, at least in my sink.

Hey PT I know it's been a few weeks but I finally got word today the keystone is going to replace my sink due to the rusting issue. Just thought you would like to know.

PT RV`er
06-29-2014, 03:40 AM
Hey PT I know it's been a few weeks but I finally got word today the keystone is going to replace my sink due to the rusting issue. Just thought you would like to know.

Ok, thank you. Great to know they`ll replace it.

outwest
06-29-2014, 04:28 AM

Congrats! I got nowhere with 'em on my rusty bathroom sink.

Campnfireman
06-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Outwest I feel like I got pretty lucky