PDA

View Full Version : Cracked caulking

GaryWT
05-11-2014, 06:46 AM
As I was washing the roof and camper I just found 2 large cracks (holes) where the front cap meets the roof. Luckily I had not started spraying water there but we diD have quite the rain storm last night. All seems dry so hopefully we will be good. Will have to keep a closer eye on things.

Ron
05-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Glad you found the problem before any water intrusion made its way inside, sure pays off to inspect the roof at least once a year, many of the trailers you see running around with delamation on the sides or warping inside paneling as you know is from some sort of water leak.

robo
05-12-2014, 01:52 AM
Now seeing it with my own eyes i will inspect every couple months during season
3 long cracks along front 2 on rear. And well the vents ya it was like there was none up there to begin with anyway no leaks and now sealed 1hour. 1 tube not too bad

therink
05-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, very important to inspect roof seam caulking very closely at least a couple times annually. I recently installed Eternabond tape on my front and rear roof seams. I believe this to be good insurance against leaks at these leak prone areas for a long time.
Steve

Travlntj
05-13-2014, 03:49 AM
bought 2013 Bullet Premier year ago April. During that first year we returned twice to Flagg RV because roof was separating from front cap, first one side, then the other. They reinforced all the way across with rivets, since then seems fine.

zenbuck
05-13-2014, 06:06 AM
I will give mine a good look over....

J&A
05-14-2014, 04:01 PM
I found two ~4 inch caulking cracks where the front cap meets the roof. This happened over a month ago while doing my 6 month inspection/wash/wax as recommended by several forum members. Like Gary, I was washing (and waxing) the travel trailer when I discovered the cracks on the caulking.

Fortunately, I had a tube of caulk for the specific roof I have and it came handy to seal the cracks temporarily when I discovered them.

I added this problem to the list of items to be fixed under warranty and took the TT to the dealer. Keystone approved the repair and the dealer completed the work.

Planning now on inspecting the caulking joints after all trips.