PDA

View Full Version : possible tranny problems

kippy
05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
2010 ram diesel 2500 4x4 auto trans. Towing a 342 fuzion, 15,000 lbs. When i hit hills at 65 mph auto shift from 6th to 5th gear. 5th gear has a terrible shutter, like running over close spaced speed bumps. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. Kip. p.s.truck ls stock except for k/n air filter

Hansel
05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm not really a Dodge guy, but is that possibly the torque converter going in and out of lock up?? How many miles on your truck?? and do you have gauges, and when was the last time the fluid was changed??

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for what you have;)

kippy
05-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Milage 29,000, have not changed tran. Fluid also had tow haul on. Thanks for the reply. Kip

kippy
05-10-2014, 04:17 PM
No gauges,trans temperture was 161 degrees. Kip

RV 4 Fun
05-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I have a 2007 Dodge automatic and I had a shutter or bucking between 2nd & 3rd gears. Much worse when towing then not.
Turns out I had a sensor unit in the transmission that needed to be replaced.
Replaced it and everything works fine. Not sure if it is your issue or not.
But thought I would share my experience.
Good luck......

rnkburg
05-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Fifth and sixth gear studder like that means you took out the tourque convertor. It happened to me on my dodge, ended up getting a custom build with triple lock convertor, billet shafts, upgraded clutches, upgraded valve body, dual laminate flex plate. Works much better know.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

hankpage
05-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Most likely just time to change fluid and filter and make band and shiftpoint adjustments but that is a lot of trailer for a 2500. Be sure to tell service you want trans adjusted or you will get the standard "Everything is in spec" answer. JM2¢, Hank

Ken / Claudia
05-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Just my opinion, I do not have any knowledge about the Dodge trannys. I would take it in for a tranny check as was advised and read the truck manual about towing and ask the service guys what gears should you be running while pulling that trailer. Ask should you lock out the higher gears etc. My tranny guy says OK to run in Over Drive(high gear) on flats but, lock out OD on hills, he says best to do it before tranny does its down shifting or up shifting when you let up on the peddle.

DiverB
05-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Most of us that have the 68RFE transmission will install an after market tuning to raise the line pressure in the tranny, which allows for more lubrication and improved clutch engagement rate allowing for the highest quality shifts, as well as extreme clutch holding ability.

ncgrl1
05-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Should still be under warranty unless you have over 100,000 miles.

game warden
05-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Call your dealer and ask if there updated flash for the transmission

dm1401
05-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Most likely just time to change fluid and filter and make band and shiftpoint adjustments but that is a lot of trailer for a 2500. Be sure to tell service you want trans adjusted or you will get the standard "Everything is in spec" answer. JM2¢, Hank

With the ram/Chrysler 68RFE, they have done away with the bands all together, if you are out of warranty, I suggest you sign up to Cummins forum.com. The engineer or one of them who designed your transmission checks the forum regularly, and will answer any questions you have. He is super nice and knowledgeable.