PDA

View Full Version : Location of Tank Sensors & Longevity

LateArrivalforLSU
05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm curious....does Keystone use tank sensors that mount on the outside or the inside of the holding/grey water tanks? How accurate are the readings as they age? All of my tanks are covered by skirting, so I can't tell where the sensors are located.

bobbecky
05-09-2014, 02:03 PM
They are inside the tanks, and for us, the only sensor that still is accurate is the fresh water tank. We are full time, dump the grey tanks every couple of days or every day if we are traveling, and the black tank once a week. We use Calgon and the blue tank treatment every time in the black tank after using the flush system, and nothing in the grey tanks. Have not heard of too many having luck with the sensors, and ours didn't seem to work very long after we purchased it.

Festus2
05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm curious....does Keystone use tank sensors that mount on the outside or the inside of the holding/grey water tanks? How accurate are the readings as they age? All of my tanks are covered by skirting, so I can't tell where the sensors are located.

The OEM tank sensors are not known for their accuracy - especially the black tank since it is more prone to having "crud" build up on or around the sensors. As mentioned above, despite taking great care to ensure that the tanks are clean, these sensors have a mind of their own.

I wouldn't place too much faith in their accuracy even when they have been barely tested.

Like the previous poster, even my FW tank doesn't give accurate readings most of the time.

Over the years, many of us have learned to use our own built-in "Three S System" of sensors: sight, sound and smell. If you can see it, hear it or smell it, your tanks are full. Time to empty.

(You've noticed that I have omitted the other two "sensors" ---- touch and taste. Yuck!)

jsmith948
05-09-2014, 02:41 PM
X2 - also keep in mind that the sensors are spaced out along the height of the tank. Even if the sensors aren't fouled with crud, the panel lights will indicate that your waste tank is 1/3 full until the liquid reaches the 2/3 sensor. A space of a few or many gallons, depending on the size of the tank. Our FW tank reads full when it is full, but, as soon as the full sensor becomes dry, the panel light indicates it is now 2/3 full, even though it is just below the full sensor. Festus2 said it right. You cannot really take these readings as fact. Just an approximation.:p

LateArrivalforLSU
05-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Anyone tried these Horst Miracle Probes? (http://www.horstmiracleprobes.com/) Not that I'm looking to install them on a new trailer, but was curious if anyone has any 1st hand experience with 'em.