PDA

View Full Version : Insurance options

HappyCamperMN
05-09-2014, 07:26 AM
I was never very worried about insurance for our pop-up. Through our auto/home company (American Family), it was less than $100 a year, including roadside assistance.

For our new purchase, I've compared AmFam / Progressive / Good Sam

AmFam and Progressive appear to be about equally priced, but Progressive offers more (disappearing deductible / emergency expenses / some liability coverage / personal item coverage / total replacement coverage in yrs 1-5)
Good Sam appears to beat them both on price (over $100 less) and coverage (roughly the same as Progressive but slightly higher amounts). Even when including the Roadside Assistance package which they bundle separately.

Choice seems obvious. Unless there is conventional wisdom out there that I'm just not aware of. From my reading / searching folks seem to be generally happy with either Progressive or Good Sam as insurance companies.

HappyCamperMN
05-09-2014, 10:48 AM
I've just discovered there is a storage option that allows you to suspend the collision coverage for the duration of storage. Up here "on the tundra"... storage can be 5-6 months of the year.

cabinfever
05-09-2014, 12:47 PM
We have Foremost. seemed like the best coverage for the cost. Cost and increases vary by state. http://www.foremost.com/products/travel-trailer/

{tpc}
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
We have Allstate for everything so we use that. I'm sure we get discounts for having everything with them however.

hankpage
05-09-2014, 04:05 PM
We use Good Sam. When the policy was written by GMAC the coverage and service was great. I could suspend and reinstate coverage while in storage with a simple phone call to people who knew about trailers. GMAC no longer writes policies in New Jersey so Good Sam uses Plymouth Rock (High Point) for their policies. I must now submit a form to suspend coverage and only for 3 months ... then coverage must resume for at least 6 months before being suspended again. This time schedule forces me to keep it insured for several months when I am not using it and when you ask a RV related question they have no clue what you are talking about. If it wasn't for the fact that my Homeowners and other policies are with the same company (they took over Prudentials policies also) I might give Progressive a try. JM2¢, Hank

canesfan
05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
I feel I should throw this out there just in case, but a lot of auto insurance RV polices only cover the trailer while it is hooked up to the TV. When it's not hooked up it's not covered by that policy. I questioned my insurance company about it once and they told me that if a tree fell on it in my yard while not hooked up my homeowners insurance "should" cover it, and if a tree fell on it in a campground their insurance "should" cover it. I use a full coverage RV specific policy that covers it no matter where it is or whether it's hooked up or not. Read and understand what you are getting, not all are equal.

{tpc}
05-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I feel I should throw this out there just in case, but a lot of auto insurance RV polices only cover the trailer while it is hooked up to the TV. When it's not hooked up it's not covered by that policy. I questioned my insurance company about it once and they told me that if a tree fell on it in my yard while not hooked up my homeowners insurance "should" cover it, and if a tree fell on it in a campground their insurance "should" cover it. I use a full coverage RV specific policy that covers it no matter where it is or whether it's hooked up or not. Read and understand what you are getting, not all are equal.

It's good to note this. :) Ours is covered even when not hooked to the TV, or even if hooked to another TV, as I questioned them extensively about this prior to adding coverage.

GaryWT
05-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I had oremost when I was seasonal, my agent went with that since I could not tow it. Now that I tow, my agent has me with Travelers (Premier Ins.) as that is what the TV has. I have never looked into it much other than it has the coverage that the bank requires since the bank owns it.

HappyCamperMN
05-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Good Sam (for MN at least) is actually through National General Insurance.

bsmith0404
05-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I haven't been able to beat Geico on price. Have checked with Progressive, Good Sam and several others, saved more than 15% on RV insurance. Also had a claim for hail damage on a previous RV while it was in storage, couldn't have been happier with the way the claim was handled/paid.

fla-gypsy
05-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I use State Farm for everything and mine is covered by the RV policy when not hooked up and by the Auto policy when hooked up. Since they are insuring everything I will never get caught between two companies arguing over who is responsible.

floatflyer
05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
I rechecked my policy and see that I have coverage for items stored in both regular commercial storage facilities and noncommercial places - like a garage. Just worded in different parts of the same policy.