PDA

View Full Version : How to read propane gauge?

AlbertaRvMan
05-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Hello,
I was preparing for our first camping trip next weekend. I was looking at the propane gauge and have a question on how to interrupt how full/empty the dual tanks are.

I have attached a picture of the gauge.
- I assume green means there is propane and red is empty.

I have two tanks, my regulator can switch from one tank or to use both (I think it will automatically switch when one tank is empty depending on the lever position)

Unfortunately my gauge is facing the trailer and is incredibly difficult to read and access.

Can someone please explain what I should see when both Tanks are open and when the lever is in the three different positions (left / middle / right).

Thank you.

SAABDOCTOR
05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
green you have gas. red you don't have gas! that part is easy. the handel think of it as an arrow. it points to the tank in use. so if it points to the tank near the valve. and it's green you are running of that tank when it turns red that tank will be empty and the regulator will auto switch to the other tank. so then you can switch the lever it will change to grren and you can refill the empty tank.:)

MarkS
05-08-2014, 03:33 PM
The lever selects which tank you want to draw from first. The gauge turns red when the selected tank is empty and it automatically switches to the other tank. Gauge stays red until you select a not empty tank with the lever.

I don't think the center lever position does anything.

gearhead
05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
........and sometimes the gauge will be red if you open the valve too fast.
You will have to make the decision if you will keep both valves open so that when the regulator does the automatic switch the gas can come out of the cylinder. Some folks think it's dangerous travelling with 2 propane tanks open. Your call.

floatflyer
05-08-2014, 07:17 PM
In my experience the green/red gauge stays green until the tank is empty and then shows red. There's not much in between so it's not useful for indicating that the tank in use is 1/2 full, 1/4 full, etc. The only accurate determination of how full the tank is, is weighing it. Propane stays liquid under fairly low pressure so pressure gauges don't work.