PDA

View Full Version : Backup Camera

navyav8tr
05-08-2014, 01:46 AM
After some researching I am considering installing a backup camera on m 2013 Fuzion. Was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the Taddi Brothers wireless backup systems?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products/CategoryProducts/RVSystems?

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

bsmith0404
05-08-2014, 04:10 AM
Interested to hear thoughts on this as well. Right now I have the DW stand behind with the phone and guide me back over the Bluetooth in the truck. I love her, but sometimes I think it'd be easier to just stop, walk back and check it out, back a bit further, stop, walk back and check it out....you get the idea. If I wasn't afraid of getting kicked or something I'd pull out the tape measure and go through a training class of, this is 3', this is 10', etc.....

PARAPTOR
05-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Interested to hear thoughts on this as well. Right now I have the DW stand behind with the phone and guide me back over the Bluetooth in the truck. I love her, but sometimes I think it'd be easier to just stop, walk back and check it out, back a bit further, stop, walk back and check it out....you get the idea. If I wasn't afraid of getting kicked or something I'd pull out the tape measure and go through a training class of, this is 3', this is 10', etc.....

X2 ....

Need to change signature picture to show new 3500 "bouncey:

Tried Magellan backup wireless with no hope maybe 10' range :banghead:

Festus2
05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
If you do a forum search on "backup camera" you will come across some threads that were submitted by members who have installed this device. If I remember correctly, the posts deal with a hard-wired system as opposed to a wireless one and I can't recall the brand of camera that was used.

So Cal CPA
05-08-2014, 08:34 AM
After some researching I am considering installing a backup camera on m 2013 Fuzion. Was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the Taddi Brothers wireless backup systems?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products/CategoryProducts/RVSystems?

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I have a camera setup from Tadi Brothers. Back story - my dad bought the wireless setup for his 30+ foot 5th wheel. He was not happy with it. He sent it back and they gave him a new unit. However, in the meantime he simply took his old wired camera and put it on instead. He gave me his Tadi Brothers camera.

I don't have any experience with any other cameras but because of my dad's complaints about the wireless from Tadi Brothers I decided to do something different. My trailer is 32' and my dad's is 35'. Rather than attempt the wireless signal from the back of my trailer to the cab, I mounted the wireless receiver under the rear bumper of the trailer. This way the wireless signal maybe travels 10' at best. The rest is hard wired all the way up to my truck.

Now, my dad says my setup with the camera is 100X better than just running pure wireless. I think the most interference I get however is not the wireless, but rather the "engine noise" causing interference. I think they make filters for this but haven't explored it yet.

Just returned from a 500 mile road trip into the mountains and I was satisfied with it. Whereas when my dad had it setup wireless (as Tadi Brothers says it is supposed to be) he said he eventually turned it off on his trips with it because the interference was so bad it was not useable.

Here is the system I have http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameraKits/7-Monitor-with-Wireless-Mounted-RV-Backup-Camera

superdog404
05-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Has anyone tried a GoPro camera. I don't have one but would wonder if they might work since they communicate with Wi-Fi to phone tablet etc.

AM1958
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm testing a "cobbled together" wireless system using old smartphones and $5.98 worth of software this weekend. I'll get back to you...:)

rcbufalino
05-08-2014, 03:36 PM
You might want to compare them to rear view safety, I looked at there wireless seem adequate but opted for the wired with three cameras. If I was going to make any change it would be to go with a forth camera for the garage area. I went wired due to the length of the fifth wheel (41'):):)

www.rearviewsafety.com

Vet4jdc
05-10-2014, 05:36 AM

X3.....my wife always manages to locate herself where I can't see her in the mirror. I tell her if you can't see my mirror, I can't see you. Easy concept...hard to grasp!!! Luv U Honey!

I just got my Voyager wireless camera and monitor in the mail this week. Gonna do the install soon!

TandE
05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Has anyone tried a GoPro camera. I don't have one but would wonder if they might work since they communicate with Wi-Fi to phone tablet etc.

I have not tried mine for backing up but have had it hooked to my phone for positioning a shot. It works but if you are going to use it for a backup camera beware that it has a noticeable lag at about 2 to 3 seconds or so and that's at less than 3 feet away from it.

Travis

Randy_K
05-10-2014, 08:14 AM
X3.....my wife always manages to locate herself where I can't see her in the mirror. I tell her if you can't see my mirror, I can't see you. Easy concept...hard to grasp!!! !

Have you been camping with my wife ? Sounds just like her ;)

Beekeeper
05-11-2014, 03:14 AM
Have you been camping with my wife ? Sounds just like her ;)

Oh lordy sakes...............and I thought I was the only one! :)

I told my wife that backing up a trailer with a woman spotting is some sort of sick, twisted conspiracy by women to see how high they can get a mans blood pressure without him totally losing his mind.

Is spotting REALLY that hard? :confused:;)

navyav8tr
05-11-2014, 03:19 AM
Hey thanks for all the replies. My camper is a Fuzion 390 so it is 42' to start out with and to run a wireless signal to the cab of my 350 with an 8' bed may be just too far. Tadi Brothers claim a range of 60' but with interference who knows how well it would work. Going to do some more research. I'll let you all know what I come up with and decide to do.

GMcKenzie
05-11-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm going wired on my truck. I have an Edge box with their CTS monitor that has a video in so I've ordered a $25 wired camera.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=backup%20camera&sprefix=backup%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abackup%20camera

Be cheaper in the US.

There are kits out there for extended the wires and having a plug at the trailer, but I don't need those. Truth is, my wife does an excellent job of directing me into spots, or even helping me hook up. I want the camera for hooking up by myself and for backing up in general.

randy69
05-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh lordy sakes...............and I thought I was the only one! :)

I told my wife that backing up a trailer with a woman spotting is some sort of sick, twisted conspiracy by women to see how high they can get a mans blood pressure without him totally losing his mind.

Is spotting REALLY that hard? :confused:;)

I agree to that .. After finally getting into that spot. She stops talking to me for at least 2 days. And being a guy don,t remember what I said or screamed.:confused:

mom2budnbug
05-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Us wives are here to drive you nuts:) My DH and I are getting better with our communication, but still have our moments. So far, cell phones seem to work, but had to him that we do camp in some areas where service isn't available. One of our first purchases was a walkie-talkie set.

DH just bought these last weekend. They seem to work ok, but magnets don't sit flush.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016C5YF2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001F4MQYI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=17P3QMGVC44006JAG0WN

Whitewolf
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Communication is much better between DW and me than it was 3 years ago when we started camping with a TT. She still thinks I can magically SLIDE the back end of the TT one way or another. :p

Our new unit will be ready in early June. I hope. (See 'Arrrrrrg'). I was already planning on doing this to the unit we have, but now I'm waiting 'til the new one arrives. Supposedly it has back up lights. It's been so long, I don't remember.

Anyway, I have a wireless system by Yada. Had it on the Ram 1500. Hooked the power to one of the back up lights and used it to back up to the TT.

Now the plan is to mount the camera on the back of the new camper, find power for the camera and place the transmitter at the front of the camper. I shouldn't have any loss of signal. Shouldn't.

acampbell1999
05-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I am in the process of installing a wired system. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-7-Inch-Monitor-Rearview/dp/B000E1PXES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399919980&sr=1-1&keywords=PLCM7200 It includes a license plate camera that activates when you put the truck in reverse. The monitor has 2 inputs and I plan to run the second input to a camera on the rear of the TT (as soon as I get time). I already have the license plate camera hooked up and it works great. This is a much cheaper way to go and avoids the issues that you run into with wireless systems. I have spent maybe another $75 in addition to the system above for the second camera, cable, fittings, etc. If anyone else is cheap like me and wants to know how it turns out or wants to do the same thing let me know and I can elaborate or provide pictures.

canesfan
05-12-2014, 11:10 AM
I am in the process of installing a wired system. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-7-Inch-Monitor-Rearview/dp/B000E1PXES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399919980&sr=1-1&keywords=PLCM7200 It includes a license plate camera that activates when you put the truck in reverse. The monitor has 2 inputs and I plan to run the second input to a camera on the rear of the TT (as soon as I get time). I already have the license plate camera hooked up and it works great. This is a much cheaper way to go and avoids the issues that you run into with wireless systems. I have spent maybe another $75 in addition to the system above for the second camera, cable, fittings, etc. If anyone else is cheap like me and wants to know how it turns out or wants to do the same thing let me know and I can elaborate or provide pictures.
That's me. :D I'd appreciate your results and or elaboration/ pictures.

Btw, I bought my trailer in Danville, go through there several times a year.

navyav8tr
05-13-2014, 02:03 AM
Very interested to hear how the install goes. Thanks for posting.

acampbell1999
05-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I will take pictures as I finish the install and post back my results.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

acampbell1999
07-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Finally got time to hook up the camera today. We are heading out on a 5 hour trip tomorrow and figured it would come in handy. I took a few pictures and I will add more later when I have more time.
The last picture was taken in the dark with the infrared to give an idea of what you would see at night. Let me know what questions that you guys have.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/2a2eby2y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/e8a4y8at.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/uba5a7y5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/zyhuju6u.jpg

acampbell1999
07-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I went through the effort of tapping the reverse wire so that when I put my truck in reverse, my license plate camera comes on automatically. In hind sight, I should have skipped that step and just wired them up to a switched lead. When I put my truck in reverse, I can't flip to the trailer cam. It will only allow viewing of my license plate camera in reverse... It would be beneficial to see behind the camper as I'm backing. Other than that, I'm really happy with the install and how little I had to pay to have it up and running