PDA

View Full Version : When is it safe to De-Winterize?

AlbertaRvMan
05-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Hello,

My family and I plan to do our first ever camping trip in our new TT next Wednesday May 14.

However, spring just won't stick around yet. The weather is predicted to be a low of -1 degrees celcius at night and reach a high of approx +14 degrees celcius in the day.

Will we be ok to dewinterize and sanatize the fresh water system?

Our trailer has the thermal package.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback!

bsmith0404
05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
You should be okay. Even when temps dip to below freezing, unless it is significantly below, they are there for only a short time. With the insulation in the RV (although not great) your lines will react a bit slower to ambient temps. I would still open the low drain points and monitor the temps. If they are going to drop much further below freezing, maybe -3 C or more, I would blow the lines out. Of course this is just my $.02

Essness
05-07-2014, 05:29 PM
You should be okay. Even when temps dip to below freezing, unless it is significantly below, they are there for only a short time. With the insulation in the RV (although not great) your lines will react a bit slower to ambient temps. I would still open the low drain points and monitor the temps. If they are going to drop much further below freezing, maybe -3 C or more, I would blow the lines out. Of course this is just my $.02

Agreed. We finally broke the overnight freeze cycles about a week ago. I summerized the water systems immediately, had one night went below freezing and no problems.

theeyres
05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
You should be good to go. -1 in the middle of the night is not going to hurt anything. But if you do de-winterize and it drops way below that you will be in trouble... Knowing how unpredictable the weather can be I'd probably wait awhile not de-winterize until and day or so before you leave.