PDA

View Full Version : Towing a long trailer with a Tahoe

wayfun
05-05-2014, 02:56 PM
I've just ordered a new Laredo 322RL. At 36ft I know it is too long for my current tow vehicle, A 2009 Tahoe with 6.2L, 3:42 and full tow package. The truck also has an air ride suspension. We will be taking the trailer to Florida permanently and will only need to tow it 2 times a year for a distance of about 100 miles on basically level ground. A friend will tow it to Florida for us with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. I'll only need to move it onto the site in the fall and off in the spring.

Looking at the numbers I'll be right at my tow limit of 1050 lb tongue weight, 8200 lbs trailer weight and 14,000 GCVW. My main concern is the short wheelbase. I don't mind slowing down to 45 or 50 MPH for the little that I'll need to tow.

What issues can I expect and what can be done to mitigate them.

Thanks,
Dennis

mguay
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I towed a 32fter for a season with the DW's 07 Tahoe 5.3 with air ride. The TT was a 7500#er. It had plenty of power. The only scary part was on the interstate. It didn't matter what passed us....it would sway BAD, even with dual friction sway controls! I will say that maneuvering in the CG was easy peasy with the short wheelbase!

chartrand
05-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Consider a Hensley or Propride Hitch, Problem solve....

Hexnut
06-18-2014, 12:30 PM
I saw a trailer on it's side in the median smaller than that. It was hooked to an SUV. There is a stability issue with a SWB if sway sets in as you are obviously aware of. Just be safe.

Ken / Claudia
06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
If I was in the # 1 posters position, I would pay someone to move the trailer. Since it is only being moved to take to/from the park each season.

Pmedic4
06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
I've been there, had a Yukon, the GMC version of Tahoe, and had a 30 foot trailer. I was cautious with the weights and within specs there, but didn't consider matching TV to RV length, even with WD hitch and sway-bar combo and it had terrible sway on the highway. It was a white knuckle trip every time - I was just afraid to tow it anywhere, so I didn't.

Sold the trailer after about a year of sitting in the drive. My worse RV purchase and experience. Happily sold it to someone who placed it at a permanent campsite.

rschad
06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't think it is a simple swb don't tow a long trailer. I tow a 35' vantage 29rls with a ford expedition. I don't go over 100 ks and it is fine and isn't bothered by passings trucks etc. I have a weight distributing hitch but don't have sway control. In heavy cross winds I slow to 90 and once in extreme winds slowed to 80 ks. But I think I would have done that no matter what I was towing with.

I think trailer design has an impact as well.