PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Heater Question

clewis
05-03-2014, 12:55 PM
2014 Hideout 27dbs

I just flushed my lines in preparation of our first camping trip. I made sure there is water in the hotwater tank (pushed the pressure relief valve). I turn on the electric heat switch but the water does not seem to be heating up? Should I hear a heater turn on? How long should expect it to take for water to heat up? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Javi
05-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Electric heater is just an element in the tank, nothing to hear... Takes a long time to heat from a cold start, most of us would use the propane side of the HWH to get it started.

clewis
05-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Ok, when you say long time are you saying 15-20 minutes?

GaryWT
05-03-2014, 01:01 PM
20 minutes or so and you should at least be able to tell if it is running as the water will be warmer than the cold water.

PARAPTOR
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
2014 Hideout 27dbs

I just flushed my lines in preparation of our first camping trip. I made sure there is water in the hotwater tank (pushed the pressure relief valve). I turn on the electric heat switch but the water does not seem to be heating up? Should I hear a heater turn on? How long should expect it to take for water to heat up? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what switch you are referring to, there is one outside on the actual tank and a second switch in the coach. In my Raptor the inside switch is the actual 120VAC circuit breaker in the power distribution panel. Both have to be on

bsmith0404
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
To answer your question for how long....depends on the size of your tank. Sorry I can't tell you how long you should expect it to take, I always use the gas as well. I would expect it will take quite a while. Even with gas a 12 gal tank takes a good 10 mins to really start noticing any significant heat.

hankpage
05-03-2014, 01:04 PM
There are a few switches for the heater. .... One small black rocker switch on the bottom left of heater ... the circuit breaker marked water heater ... and some units have an interior wall switch marked with a lightning bolt. All switches must be on and it will take around 3/4 to 1 hour on electric only. Using gas is much quicker.

clewis
05-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Very good, thanks for all the help I will give it a little more time before I get too concerned. Thanks again everyone

BobbyB
05-03-2014, 02:53 PM
As others have said, there is a switch on the heater itself. You'll have to remove the outside panel and look in the lower left corner. My switch was covered with a piece of silver tape. You'll need both this switch and the switch on your control panel inside turned on. If you want hot water quicker, turn your gas on also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therink
05-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Fyi, some Keystone models are now equipped with Atwood water heaters and I do not believe they have a rocker switch for electric on the heater itself. There is a 20amp breaker I and the red switch at the control panel.

{tpc}
05-03-2014, 04:19 PM
We have a 2014 passport 2300 bh. Ours is an atwood, and there is no "switch" on the heater per se, if your referring to the switch that is sometimes on the WH that is accessed via the panel on the outside. There is a breaker switch iirc, and in the main control panel where the switches are for the slide out and power awning, there is a white switch panel.

This white panel has two switches, says "atwood" on it, and near one switch is a lightening bolt and near the other a flame. Between the two is a red indicator lamp. One is for electric. One is for gas. The red light should not be lit, and indicates an overtemp condition in which the element (or heater?) is turned off. I believe the manual says if that comes on, you are supposed to turn off the switches on that panel for like 5 minutes or until that overtemp condition goes away and then you can turn them back on.

In this case maybe there is water in the tank and its being heated, but the bypass is not letting anything through? Though I would think you would have a ton of air in the lines when turning on the hot water side of the faucet.

Then again, I'm describing mine. Who knows what the OP has in his. :)

clewis
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM
one more question, is it necessary to drain the hotwater tank before moving the trailer or is it fine to travel with water in the tank?

Festus2
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Your question has been recently asked and discussed here on the forum. Some folks drain the HW tank after each trip and leave it empty 'til the next one. Some, including me, simply leave the water in the tank. It is replenished by use so I don't see any particular reason for draining it. We don't drink it - just use it for washing dishes and showering and have yet to come down - after too many years of RVing - with some virus or bacterial infection that I'm aware of.

To answer your question --- yes, it is ok to travel with water(cold or hot) in the HW tank. You can't hurt it.

GaryWT
05-13-2014, 02:09 PM
We leave water in ours all season. So did your water heat up? Is everything working ok?

therink
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
I leave the water heater filled all season and no need to empty between trips or when traveling unless you don't want to carry the extra 50 lbs or so. Sometimes I will drain and flush it between trips if I have been at a campground with high mineral or sediment water.

clewis
05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
We leave water in ours all season. So did your water heat up? Is everything working ok?

Perfect, thanks. And yeah I got it all sorted out, so ready to role for this coming weekend.