PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication shop in Hagerstown, MD area

Hoojs12840
05-01-2014, 02:46 AM
I want to add a hitch or beef up the rear bike rack system on my 2014 Cougar to be able to haul 3 bikes and my Honda 3000 generator.

Anyone know of a good shop that has experience with RV's near me? I found some shops online, but would prefer a place someone has used with good results on RV's.

I don't mind driving if there are some places with recommendations from members here.

canesfan
05-01-2014, 04:32 AM
If you don't mind driving Hibbard's Iron Works in Hampton VA does most of the hitch work for dealers in this area and comes very well regarded. If you come this way we need to get together for a few drinks. :)

BSHGTO
05-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Curt hitches Model # 13703 at www.curtmfg.com makes what your looking for. Installed one on my fifth wheel, no welding, just a drill and some time, holds 350 rated lbs with no worries other models rated to 500 lbs. I live in Hagerstown if you want to come look at it. I included a pic of my generator box it`s hold up at 275 lbs.

Randy_K
05-03-2014, 05:32 AM
I want to add a hitch or beef up the rear bike rack system on my 2014 Cougar to be able to haul 3 bikes and my Honda 3000 generator.

Anyone know of a good shop that has experience with RV's near me? I found some shops online, but would prefer a place someone has used with good results on RV's.

I don't mind driving if there are some places with recommendations from members here.

NOW, that's a smart move :thumbsup:

JRTJH
05-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Curt hitches Model # 13703 at www.curtmfg.com makes what your looking for. Installed one on my fifth wheel, no welding, just a drill and some time, holds 350 rated lbs with no worries other models rated to 500 lbs. I live in Hagerstown if you want to come look at it. I included a pic of my generator box it`s hold up at 275 lbs.

There's a warning in the installation instructions for the Curt hitch stating that if a "static load" is going to be carried, additional bracing is required. The hitch is designed only to tow a trailer in the application for which it's sold.

BSHGTO
05-03-2014, 04:19 PM
assuming you follow the instructions as I did I added 2 additional braces back to the frame which you can`t see in the picture, this one reason why I suggested he come look at my installation since we live in the same town.

JRTJH
05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
assuming you follow the instructions as I did I added 2 additional braces back to the frame which you can`t see in the picture, this one reason why I suggested he come look at my installation since we live in the same town.

That's great for the individual that "lives in the same town" but all the other people reading the post could potentially think they can do what you described initially and they could get into trouble when the Curt hitch fails. That's the reason for my post, to identify the need for additional bracing for those who may not be fortunate enough to be able to talk to you face to face and get the 'rest of the story"...

Hoojs12840
05-04-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm out of town this week, but I am interested in seeing your setup. I'll shoot you a msg when I get back in town.